Indian Wells, BNP Paribas Open, CA, USA, ATP Masters 2017

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hope they don't move it from Miami. I guess the tournament has been there longer than the residents... they knew it was there when they bought a home. Reminds me of people who buy an apartment above a night club and then complain about the noise.
While I get that complaint (and we make it a lot here in the East Village of Manhattan,) I don't think that's true of Key Biscayne, which community predates the tournament. And it is situated in a place that could create a bottle-neck of traffic. I hope it stays there, too, but maybe Miami needs to build it a tennis arena where the traffic can bear it. (Orlando would be so boring, as an alternate.)

Reactions: shawnbm

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:
1972Murat said:
No time to warm up in these tournaments. You maybe get one gimmie and that's it.

That is true in a regular Masters tourney. But, IW and M are exceptions with a 96 player draw, 32 of them seeded and getting a first round bye. Not to mention that none of the top 32 player will play another top 32 player even in the second round. So, one can indeed get a warm-up.

Having said that, Roger will get only two matches (2nd round and 3rd round), where he is the favorite ranking wise. In each of the remaining possible four matches, Roger will be an underdog, starting from the 4th round (assuming seeds hold).

Roger should draw Querrey in R2 ;):devil

Roger will handle him with ease. He is great when it comes to matches with guys having a potential for upset. He generally crushes them.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Let's all go easy on Nole. The guy had a brutal 3-4 year period of focus onto tennis. Now, he might just be burning out a little. And, by balancing his love for tennis and family, he is just taking things easy and at the same time trying to heal and rejuvenate himself by taking some of his focus off from tennis. You know, it's likely this makes him happy now and then a happy brain is your most productive thing right. Besides, he does want a family life too, that's why he married Jelena, right. That is nice too :)

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
a lot of pull out in IW....Tursunov'll replace Milos

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tursunov"ll replace Milos in MD, a lot of pull out in Palm Srings this year ; before players were exhausted and injured at the end of season, now it's at the beginning..don't know if they play too many tourneys, have a poor fitness programm or what...but "old" players seemed to be fitter and stronger than today's players
there must be a reason why, any ideas others members ???

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
isabelle said:
Tursunov"ll replace Milos in MD, a lot of pull out in Palm Srings this year ; before players were exhausted and injured at the end of season, now it's at the beginning..don't know if they play too many tourneys, have a poor fitness programm or what...but "old" players seemed to be fitter and stronger than today's players

Too many tournaments every week that lure the players into overplaying. Players are always on the lookout for cheap points. That's it.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interview with Larry Ellison, former CEO of Oracle, it's a 2 or 3 years old but sets out where they are looking to take Indian Wells.

Originally published on: Inside Tennis: http://www.insidetennis.com/2014/03...w-inside-tennis-talks-with-the-wizard-of-wow/

INSIDE TENNIS: Hey Larry, what’s more of an achievement, your boat Oracle in last year’s America’s Cup scoring one of the most rousing comebacks in sports history, or this incredible stadium where we are sitting being built in less than a year?

LARRY ELLISON: I’m very proud of both, they’re hard to compare. I’m proud of the sailing team coming back after being down 8-1 and for this stadium being built in ten months. They’re both exceptional achievements.

IT: You’re a kid from the Bronx, how does it feel to see this incredible facility?

LE: I am actually from the Lower East Side of Manhattan. l lived in even worse neighborhoods than the Bronx. It’s a long way to come in one lifetime, but it has been very, very exciting, I have met lots and lots of very interesting people. That makes life worth living.

IT: You have such a passion, a love of sports. Not every businessman—

LE: I like the clarity of sports. In so much of life there are so many shades of gray, and the clarity of sports [is that] you either win or lose. On any given day, one team wins and one loses. One woman wins, one loses. One man wins, one loses. So it is wonderful and brutal to have that clarity and finality.

IT: This facility is so intimate, so beautiful, and has that creative design with the restaurants built in. Did you have any input?

LE: Yes, we wanted to build a stadium where everyone would have a good view, so we thought this was the right size. We wanted everyone to have an intimate feel, to be closer to the players, and at the same time have lunch or dinner at Nobu and enjoy a California roll while watching the tiebreaker.

IT: You were at Roland Garros last year. Over there, when the French Open wants to make a significant change, they have to go to the French municipality, while here, when Ray Moore or Steve Simon wants to make a change, they just come to you. Talk about that ability, that freedom of just being able to make decisions and being able to go for it.

LE: Ray and Charlie built this tournament, and they always wanted to build a new Stadium 2, and it was time to do it. We did two things, we built the Stadium 2, and we brought in 417 palm trees so the Indian Wells Tennis Garden is truly a garden.

IT: You have a wonderful home in the hills here in the desert, and a home in the San Francisco Bay Area, and you own a fabulous club in Malibu. Talk a little about the beauty of California and how you embrace that.

LE: California is a very big state, so out here in the desert is very different than being on the beach in Malibu. And I also have a home up in Tahoe which is different than my home in San Francisco, which overlooks the Bay. California is a spectacularly beautiful state and it has such different weather south, east, or west. It’s just wonderful to live here and to be able to enjoy all parts of California with all its natural beauty .

IT: If the tennis gods said, ‘Okay, Larry, you can watch one player, who would it be? You have seen Mac, Roger, you are close to Rafa.

LE: That’s an impossible question. Roger is so elegant, Rafa sometimes looks like a leopard out there with a racquet in his hand. You see the wonderful athleticism of Nadal, the grace of Federer, and McEnroe has his feel and touch. They all have so much. It is important to appreciate what each one of them brings and how each of them made the sport great.

IT: You can argue that no other sportsman is more humble than Rafa. What’s special about that young man?

LE: He is special. He is always trying to get better at what he does. He takes nothing for granted. He goes out there and fights hard for every point and appreciates what he has been able to accomplish in his young life. He deals so well with his responsibilities to the game and to the fans, It gives him a humility that made him enormously popular.

IT: You have that wonderful tennis club in Malibu where you chose to do a fundraiser with VIka Azarenka and Serena Williams which raised a million dollars. How does that touch your heart?

LE: Here we were able to raise money for four different foundations when we opened Stadium 2 the other night, just before the tournament began. McEnroe and Jim Courier were wonderful to commit their time. We had a fundraiser at Nikita restaurant in Malibu, again where we each had a chance to give back. It is really the players that are spending their time and committing themselves to giving back to the community. So I am proud to help whenever I can.

IT: Serena is a great California champion. Would you like to see her come back and play here in Indian Wells?

LE: Of course, but I respect whatever decision she makes. Its important that each individual makes the decision that is right for them. So, I respect whatever she and Venus decide to do. They have my utmost respect. They’re both great champions. I wish them both well.

IT: So, Larry, give us a word or phrase that captures your feeling for your incredible investment here?

LE: I am just proud to help finish what Ray and Charlie [Pasarell] began.

IT: Talk about Larry Ellison’s tennis game. I know you work hard with your coach Sandy Mayer, but what are your strengths and weaknesses?

LE: I played for the first time under the lights and I realized that you have to wear a hat, because I didn’t see a darn thing when I played against McEnroe. I love playing tennis. I play almost every day. It’s great for fitness. It is like anything else, every day you feel you are getting a little bit better, and it is important to all of us who like to compete.

IT: Do you think that tennis somehow helps you in business? Does it help give you a mental edge or does it help you take your mind off things for a bit?

LE: I love competition. I love competing in business, and I love competing in sports. Whether it is in sales or in tennis, basketball or in sailing. I like to test my limits. And I can test my limits in tennis, like anything else.

Reactions: Carol

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Ellison bought the Indian Wells tournament in 2009 for $100 million. It quenched the rumours that IW was going to be replaced by a Doha Masters. It's the most attended tournament outside of the majors.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
shivashish said:
isabelle said:

Too many tournaments every week that lure the players into overplaying. Players are always on the lookout for cheap points. That's it.

That and they need to pay the bills. We can't underestimate the cost of being a professional player. Paying entrance fees, coaches, travel arrangements etc. Only the top players who have lucrative endorsement contracts and win the big tournaments can really afford to pay a team to travel with them.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
shivashish said:
When is the draw coming out exactly?

I think in 14 hours and 40 minutes from this moment. I am not a 100% sure though.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The draw is coming out at 6 pm eastern time

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Carol35 said:
lacatch said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Here is info on Novak's priorities in English.

Thanks for providing the full article. As I suspected, Carol totally misrepresented what Novak said, and took his quote out of contest. What was that quote she mentioned about haters??

I didn't misrepresented anything about what Novak said, he has said exactly the same he said in 2014 after to lose several matches in 2013. You were the first one to say something about the haters, don't you remember?. And yes, his priority should be his family starting for his wife and son, hope it's true and not only when he loses.
One only has to read the full article with ALL of Nole's quotes to see that you misrepresented what he said and took the quote about his family being his priority out of context.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is very interesting, the longest tiebreaks of the tennis history
Though it would have to add Delpo-Federer in London Olympics 2012 17-19 and Murray- Kohlsch Dubai 2017 20-18

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_tiebreaker_in_tennis

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Would you look at that, Fedalovic and Del Potro all in the same quarter...

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am questioning the decision to award Fratangelo with a WC instead of Donaldson or Escobedo

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
mightyjeditribble said:
Puppet Master said:
Would you look at that, Fedalovic and Del Potro all in the same quarter...

Kyrgios and A Zverev in that quarter too.

Crazy draw.

Somebody's going home! :popcorn