General Doping/PEDs Discussion

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Well Nole is Viktor's good friend and he trusts and believes him...btw: you never answered me what you would do in that hypothetical situation with Moxie?:D

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Billie said:
Well Nole is Viktor's good friend and he trusts and believes him...btw: you never answered me what you would do in that hypothetical situation with Moxie?:D

If Moxie was caught taking drugs? I'd still be her friend, but I'd tell her she was a stupid ****** etc...

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Kieran said:
Billie said:

If Moxie was caught taking drugs? I'd still be her friend, but I'd tell her she was a stupid ****** etc...

and try to help her? See you are not bad after all and we just had to find a nice example that you can understand..........and I think that Nole and Viktor are closer than you and Moxie as well. They grew up together and Viktor did get a talking session from Nole believe me.

Ok, this deserves a :smooch and a :hug I am taking a break as I am leaving on my trip tomorrow.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
Being naïve and being stupid sometimes means almost the same thing. I am sure that there are things that we don't know about where players didn't give their samples in timely manner, or something was wrong with them but the authorities kept quiet and then later on things get leaked.

As for Viktor's situation, I am very positive that you would change your tunes if it were one of Roger's or Rafa's close friends. Unless they don't have them or they don't care, which is different then.:)

How many people crucified poor Milos for not admitting that he touched the net last year, yet Murat was able to understand it.

There was an excellent closing argument in the movie "Time To Kill", if you didn't watch it, I recommend it. The movie is about father's revenge at people who savagely raped his little girl so he killed one of them and is facing a trial. Because he is black and the jury is mainly white, the defense lawyer came with a great closing statement: close your eyes, imagine a little girl beaten and left to die in the pool of mud and her blood................imagine her being white.

Everything in life depends on who you are and what happens to WHOM!

Richard Gasquet is one of Nadal's close friends, and I called bull$hit on his line of defense then, and I call bull$hit on Rafa's support of him. Nothing to do with favoritism. Avoiding a test is, suspicious and stupid.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Billie said:
Kieran said:
Billie said:

and try to help her? See you are not bad after all and we just had to find a nice example that you can understand..........and I think that Nole and Viktor are closer than you and Moxie as well. They grew up together and Viktor did get a talking session from Nole believe me.

Ok, this deserves a :smooch and a :hug I am taking a break as I am leaving on my trip tomorrow.

Enjoy your trip Billie. If Novak loses soon, I'm just going to ignore it and pretend you "disappeared." :)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-06/criminals-infiltrate-25-of-sport-anti-doping-chief-says.html

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
"Drug cheats in sport could benefit 'for decades', scientists find. Convicted dope cheats such as sprinter Justin Gatlin could still be benefiting from having taken banned substances long after their bans have expired.

Research by University of Oslo scientists has established that muscles can retain the advantages given by anabolic steroids decades after the point at which they were taken."

This is something I've read many times and heard in real life also from people I know who've taken steroids. Even if you stop and lose the mass, the muscle memory and nuclei still in your system mean that once you come back doing sport or weight lifting in the case of the guys I know, the mass comes back in no time compared to natural people.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/29510575

Also, a great BBC radio broadcast below focused on Justin Gatlin, who served multiple doping bans, most recently a 4 year ban and returned to set a new world record of 9.77 seconds in the 100 metres this year which people are saying is pretty much impossible after 4 years off and at the age of 32.

This is again from the link above.

"It shows one of two things: either he's still taking performance-enhancing drugs to get the best out of him at his advanced age, or the ones he did take are still doing a fantastic job.

"Because there is no way he can still be running that well at this late point in his career.

"After having years on the sidelines, being unable to train or compete, it doesn't really add up - 9.77 is an incredibly fast time. You only have to look at his performances. I don't believe in them."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kfhlh

Drugs are ruining all sports. :nono

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
As well as this, Gatlin worked for a doping coach in the past and is now working with another previously banned coach who doped and yet he's a candidate for IAAF athlete of the year! Completely laughable.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The Gatlin tale is particularly gruesome because the jerk shows no contrition for his sins. He's jumping about like the Big I Am. He's run 6 of the 7 fastest times this season and us in line to be world athlete of the year. :nono

I read that same article and the idea that drugs are still effective long after the athlete stops taking them strengthens my conviction that sports should have a zero tolerance policy for drugs - one strike and you're out for good - it's the ultimate and only deterrent...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
The Gatlin tale is particularly gruesome because the jerk shows no contrition for his sins. He's jumping about like the Big I Am. He's run 6 of the 7 fastest times this season and us in line to be world athlete of the year. :nono

I read that same article and the idea that drugs are still effective long after the athlete stops taking them strengthens my conviction that sports should have a zero tolerance policy for drugs - one strike and you're out for good - it's the ultimate and only deterrent...

Yep, which is something I mentioned in regards to our dear friend Coughdrop. You don't just revert back to the "pre-banned substance athlete" after not taking them for a couple weeks or even months as is pointed out in that article.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
gatlin agrees with the new theory about junkie-doper-cheating-gimpbots benefitting years after a ban with recent 9.77s run.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Discussion for the board

Why would a tennis player use PEDS? I can't see how that would help. In tennis one needs strategy, one needs to know when and how to change up his or her game, hand and eye coordination and so many other tactical skills which PEDs cannot really enhance a player's skill.

Pls note - this is a valid discussion no accusations, this is just to help keep us busy until January.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
RE: Discussion for the board

I would need an expert to know why. I kind of think the strategy of PEDS for each sport is different. I once heard on a news program a person explain what they did for cyclists it was absolutely insane. They basically exchanged their blood or something for more oxygen? It was really odd.

For tennis I guess the idea would be to enhance skills that are already existent...stamina and power.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
RE: Discussion for the board

sk310 said:
I would need an expert to know why. I kind of think the strategy of PEDS for each sport is different. I once heard on a news program a person explain what they did for cyclists it was absolutely insane. They basically exchanged their blood or something for more oxygen? It was really odd.

For tennis I guess the idea would be to enhance skills that are already existent...stamina and power.

I still can't see or understand how peds can enhance skills. I think skills are something you learn or gain with practice and innovation.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
The difference at the top that a 5% gain in performance would make is absolutely huge. If two players skill sets are pretty equal but when it comes to stamina one player can outlast the other in a physically demanding long match then that often becomes the deciding factor and is therefore a huge advantage. Likewise recovery is absolutely huge and PEDs can make you fresh as a daisy even after a crazy hard match where a non doped player would have tired legs and muscles like a normal person for quite a few days afterwards. Confidence enhances skills that are already present. You have drugs that increase concentration/focus and obviously having a major physical advantage over your opponent in terms of fitness and/or power makes you supremely confident and this is a huge edge to hold.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
^ You're assuming that the two players are equally matched physically in all aspects expect one is on PEDs and the other isn't. It could be that the one who isn't doping simply isn't in as good shape, which would be a contributing factor to his/her declining physicality, while the one who is doping is in better shape in general, and is doping. And all kinds of variations in between.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2222
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2587
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 3390
kskate2 Pro Tennis (Mens) 2183
tented Pro Tennis (Mens) 1068