Fed's schedule for 2020

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I have doubts as well, especially Paris. To me, it seems as if he’s still affected by the Wimbledon loss, with (for him) early losses in all events he’s entered since then (except Laver Cup, but that still feels more like an exhibition). And so much can happen in a year in the early and late stages of a player’s career. One year for Medvedev is the inverse of one year for Federer.

After his 2017 out of nowhere, people should have expected a significant decline! It's going to be the same thing with 2019; 2020 will be hard to defend! Good results always seems to make a top player pay the following season! All you have to do is recall the best pro season of all time, Nole's 2015; winning 10 of the 14 elite events and runner up in 2 others! Djokovic tried valiantly to defend his #1 ranking, but ended up falling short even with 2 majors and 4 Masters added to his resume! Nadal's 2010 wasn't a precursor to his 2011; Nole legitimately beat him out in 6 finals! After 2019, I didn't think there would be this close a race except Nole's Spring was not up to expectations and he didn't pad his lead! It's gonna come down to the very last match of the season again at the YEC if he's to have any chance of getting his #1 ranking back and to hold it over the "dead period" before the AO in Jan.! :whistle: :yesyes: :oops: :rolleyes: :ptennis:

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
according to l'Equipe, he pulled out of ATP cup in january (family reasons)

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The headlines are all silly stating personal reasons. The main reason is he came to his senses and realized he can't play all these tournaments at this stage of his career.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/tennis/50232523

To me it appears Methuselah seems to have no timetable to definitively retire; he’s in Tom Brady territory, as in taking it it seems one season at a time. When it’s “time” he’ll know but until then...

Plus the first set of twins is getting older, people forget many of these people have families.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
To me it appears Methuselah seems to have no timetable to definitively retire; he’s in Tom Brady territory, as in taking it it seems one season at a time. When it’s “time” he’ll know but until then...

Plus the first set of twins is getting older, people forget many of these people have families.

He’s not retiring until he can play mixed doubles with his girls.

Reactions: Moxie and Jelenafan

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
according to l'Equipe, he pulled out of ATP cup in january (family reasons)

A very good decision. It is not worth wasting two weeks playing in this silly event. He needs more rest, considering he will be playing 4 or 5 exhibition matches at the end of this year also. Thanks to this decision, his chances at AO has substantially improved.

Reactions: Fiero425

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
A very good decision. It is not worth wasting two weeks playing in this silly event. He needs more rest, considering he will be playing 4 or 5 exhibition matches at the end of this year also. Thanks to this decision, his chances at AO has substantially improved.

Players don’t rest between tournaments, they still have intense practices. I dunno, exhibitions I agree can be silly ( and Very lucrative) but do they tire out players so substantially that it impacts their Majors performance? In Methuselah’s case I would argue the exhibitions he plays are a break from practice. I figure he plays his C game , as do most of the top players who play these glorified giggles tennis matches.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Players don’t rest between tournaments, they still have intense practices. I dunno, exhibitions I agree can be silly ( and Very lucrative) but do they tire out players so substantially that it impacts their Majors performance? In Methuselah’s case I would argue the exhibitions he plays are a break from practice. I figure he plays his C game , as do most of the top players who play these glorified giggles tennis matches.

No, players don't continuously practice in between tournaments. They also schedule R&R session in the time between tournaments.

I agree they play much less seriously in exhibition matches (though it is not just hit and giggle as usually said). But, the tiredness does not come so much from the actual play, but due to travel, endless autograph sessions and media interviews. To put it differently, it may not be
physically tiring, but is mentally tiring and so the players may not be fresh.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
No, players don't continuously practice in between tournaments. They also schedule R&R session in the time between tournaments.

I agree they play much less seriously in exhibition matches (though it is not just hit and giggle as usually said). But, the tiredness does not come so much from the actual play, but due to travel, endless autograph sessions and media interviews. To put it differently, it may not be
I don't quite agree that most exhibitions are "not just a hit and giggle." They usually go hard in the first set, and then conform to the script. If it needs to be done in 2, the player who loses the first doesn't force a 3rd, even though they are good at making a show of it. If it's just the one match, it's amazing how often they go 3, to give the crowd their money's worth. However, I think you make a very good point as to what IS tiring about it: the travel, the PR, the press.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Don’t necessarily disagree with most of of this, my main issue was more the statement that skipping the exhibition “substantially improves” Methuselah’s chances to win the AO. If It’s that’s big a deal, doubt Methuselah would have planned to have played the exhibition to begin with.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Don’t necessarily disagree with most of of this, my main issue was more the statement that skipping the exhibition “substantially improves” Methuselah’s chances to win the AO. If It’s that’s big a deal, doubt Methuselah would have planned to have played the exhibition to begin with.

No, he is not skipping exhibitions. He is playing them as he probably gets a million bucks per match, his currently going rate.
He is only skipping the ATP cup scheduled for the two weeks before AO in Australia. Skipping that definitely increases his
chances at AO. That is what I said.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
No, he is not skipping exhibitions. He is playing them as he probably gets a million bucks per match, his currently going rate.
He is only skipping the ATP cup scheduled for the two weeks before AO in Australia. Skipping that definitely increases his
chances at AO. That is what I said.

It increases his chance from 14.7% to 15.1%.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Here is the tentative schedule of Roger in 2020

1, Australian Open
2. Dubai
3. Indian Wells
4. Miami
5. Rolland Garros
6. Halle
7. Wimbledon
8. Tokyo Olympics
9. Cincy
10. USO
11. Basel
12. Shanghai
13. WTF (if qualified).

Fed will also play an exhibition match in Bogota (to compensate for the cancelled match of his South American tour at end of 2019) after IW and before Miami. Also, he will play in Laver cup in Boston after USO.

Although nothing is listed as warm-up tourneys for RG at this time, I guess Fed will play at least in Rome (and in some other itsy-bitsy clay tourney, if they are willing to pony up a million bucks).

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
at 38 will need rest after miami..esp with olympics as well, so maybe fo will be his only clay tourney.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
no Rotterdam for the moment but he can take a WC

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Hard to believe Roger would play IW/Miami both! That makes no sense unless he loses early in California! Add Paris and those exhibitions! :thinking-face:

He has skipped Miami many times before, but this year he has 1,000 points to defend. If he doesn't defend them, he'll be in danger of dropping out of the top 4, which would not do him any favors, especially at the majors.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fiero425