Fedalovic Wars

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Whether it was foolish or nor the point is Djokovic did think winning the Olympic Gold was a big deal worthy of pursuit.
Oh course he did. Likewise Rafa in 2008. Both arrived in America diminished, with an actual great tennis prize there to be fought for. Who knows, had they not wasted their energy on the Olympics, tennis history might read differently…

Reactions: nehmeth

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It’s annoying how people now diminish WHY he was anointed the Goat status. Pete accomplished something which may stand for decades, ranked # 1 yearend for 6 consecutive years.
I always liked Sampras. He was a juggernaut on fast surfaces!! But Federer was simply a better version of him. I fully understand the nostalgia of Pete fans though. I would feel the same if another player who plays better tennis than Federer were to pop up.

Reactions: Fiero425 and mrzz

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Murray: "The Olympics is as huge as a slam, if anything it's even more special as it happens once every four years. It is a huge priority for us and it's a super important event."

Kieran: "No it's not. You guys are clueless idiots."

The rest of humans: :facepalm:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal, Djokovic, Federer, Murray: "The Olympics is as huge as a slam, if anything it's even more special as it happens once every four years. It is a huge priority for us and it's a super important event."

Kieran: "No it's not. You guys are clueless idiots."

The rest of humans: :facepalm:
Did they say that? I either missed it, or you’re wrong.

An Olympic gold medal isn’t considered as “huge as a slam” by players. In fact, if Novak had Olympic gold and Rafa didn’t, it wouldn’t be considered important by you, either…

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I always liked Sampras. He was a juggernaut on fast surfaces!! But Federer was simply a better version of him. I fully understand the nostalgia of Pete fans though. I would feel the same if another player who plays better tennis than Federer were to pop up.
Federer was a different type of player to Pete, not a ‘better version of him.’

They also played in different times, so comparisons are difficult. I get the Federer fans nostalgia for Roger, but two players who play better than him have popped up…

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Did they say that? I either missed it, or you’re wrong.

An Olympic gold medal isn’t considered as “huge as a slam” by players. In fact, if Novak had Olympic gold and Rafa didn’t, it wouldn’t be considered important by you, either…
I’m sure they didn’t all say exactly the same thing, which is the implication of the quote above, but I do remember Novak saying winning an Olympic Gold medal was a huge desire. That’s why he left the court in tears after losing to Rafa in 2008, and had a meltdown in Tokyo.

Novak and Roger both had Olympicitis— they almost wanted it too much, and self-destructed each time. Roger losing to Berdych (2004) and James Blake (2008) never should have happened. The 2012 loss to Murray made more sense, because Roger played that epic SF against JMDP (longest three set match ever, I think).

Reactions: Fiero425 and Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I’m sure they didn’t all say exactly the same thing, which is the implication of the quote above, but I do remember Novak saying winning an Olympic Gold medal was a huge desire. That’s why he left the court in tears after losing to Rafa in 2008, and had a meltdown in Tokyo.

Novak and Roger both had Olympicitis— they almost wanted it too much, and self-destructed each time. Roger losing to Berdych (2004) and James Blake (2008) never should have happened. The 2012 loss to Murray made more sense, because Roger played that epic SF against JMDP (longest three set match ever, I think).
Oh I don't dispute they want that gem but it's not a measure of greatness, in tennis terms. I'd trade Rafa's olympic gold for that season's USO title, in a heartbeat. I'm sure looking at it clearly now, novak would trade his Olympic sortie for the USO a couple years ago. it's just not a medal that says anything relevant to tennis tradition or history...

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh I don't dispute they want that gem but it's not a measure of greatness, in tennis terms. I'd trade Rafa's olympic gold for that season's USO title, in a heartbeat. I'm sure looking at it clearly now, novak would trade his Olympic sortie for the USO a couple years ago. it's just not a medal that says anything relevant to tennis tradition or history...

Nadal cherishes the Olympics gold medal more than anything. In fact if you look at Federer's and Nadal's reactions at the Olympics gold medals in only the "DOUBLES" it was bigger than any slam win. In fact, Federer made love to Wawrinka right on the court after they won. And no, Novak can't trade anything since he has NEVER won the Olympics. If he had won the Olympics and then lost at the USO you can maybe ask him if he would trade. But Novak would not skip the Olympics for anything, and if he wins the Olympics gold medal he would not trade it for anything. Try again.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Nadal cherishes the Olympics gold medal more than anything. In fact if you look at Federer's and Nadal's reactions at the Olympics gold medals in only the "DOUBLES" it was bigger than any slam win. In fact, Federer made love to Wawrinka right on the court after they won. And no, Novak can't trade anything since he has NEVER won the Olympics. If he had won the Olympics and then lost at the USO you can maybe ask him if he would trade. But Novak would not skip the Olympics for anything, and if he wins the Olympics gold medal he would not trade it for anything. Try again.
Have you measured these reactions scientifically? And if the Olympics is such a prestigious tennis title - since when is it? Greatness in tennis is to measure yourself against the long tradition of the sport, of which there is nothing more constant than the slams, but there are other non-slam tournaments which also have a hallowed tradition.

By the way, I don't consider the WTF to be a relaible indicator of greatness in tennis. It's a tournament where the top 8 players of the season play off on a surface that only reflects part of the game. If they rotated surfaces and made the WTF reflect the tennis season properly, then I'd relate to it more, but I can imagine the reaction if they did. Imagine they had 3 seasons in the last decade where it was played on clay, and Rafa won them. There'd be asterisks flying everywhere. And the WTF is part of tennis tradition, unlike the Olympics.

Admit it. If Rafa never won gold in the Olympics and Novak did, you wouldn't rate the Olympics...

Reactions: Fiero425

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Have you measured these reactions scientifically? And if the Olympics is such a prestigious tennis title - since when is it? Greatness in tennis is to measure yourself against the long tradition of the sport, of which there is nothing more constant than the slams, but there are other non-slam tournaments which also have a hallowed tradition.

By the way, I don't consider the WTF to be a relaible indicator of greatness in tennis. It's a tournament where the top 8 players of the season play off on a surface that only reflects part of the game. If they rotated surfaces and made the WTF reflect the tennis season properly, then I'd relate to it more, but I can imagine the reaction if they did. Imagine they had 3 seasons in the last decade where it was played on clay, and Rafa won them. There'd be asterisks flying everywhere. And the WTF is part of tennis tradition, unlike the Olympics.

Admit it. If Rafa never won gold in the Olympics and Novak did, you wouldn't rate the Olympics...

You make no sense. The Australian open historically, has nowhere near the importance of Wimbledon or the French Open or the US open as it was skipped throughout the decades up until around the 90s. By your logic, it means that it’s by far the least prestigious slam and therefore Nadal has 20 ”important” slams and Djokovic has 14. Stop embarrassing yourself. The Olympics in the era of Nadal and Federer and Djokovic was huge and incomparable, up there with the slams, and your boyfriend made it a huge priority and couldn’t conquer it. Stop crying and move on.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
You make no sense. The Australian open historically, has nowhere near the importance of Wimbledon or the French Open or the US open as it was skipped throughout the decades up until around the 90s. By your logic, it means that it’s by far the least prestigious slam and therefore Nadal has 20 ”important” slams and Djokovic has 14. Stop embarrassing yourself. The Olympics in the era of Nadal and Federer and Djokovic was huge and incomparable, up there with the slams, and your boyfriend made it a huge priority and couldn’t conquer it. Stop crying and move on.
Pay attention, son. You’re talking with a Nadal fan.

Calm down and riddle me this: is the Australian Open a slam?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Which was a pretty stupid choice in a lifetime hallmarked by unwise choices. Forget about the wear and tear on the body traveling to the other side of the world. He was engulfed in yet another controversy over there. He lost the singles and pulled out of mixed doubles where he still had a chance of winning gold. Not the best physical or mental place to be in when you’re about to contend for the pinnacle of tennis’s achievements.
It was actually the bronze medal match that he pulled out of in the mixed, but it was a shame he didn't manage to play, because his partner lost a chance at a medal. As to his unwise choice to go to the Olympics, I think even his father was publicly quoted as trying to convince him not to go to Tokyo. Novak makes no bones about wanting all of the hardware. It was his bad luck that the OG fell in the same year that he was making a run at the CYGS. Which I think only happened because they put it off a year for the pandemic.

Reactions: nehmeth

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Novak and Roger both stated publicly, at various points, that the Olympic Gold medal (in singles, obviously,) was a real goal for them. TBH, I thought both of those statements were made with a certain amount of hubris, meaning that they expected it was coming to them, IMO. If you didn't think you were likely to win it, why say it out loud? Which puts the pressure on. As for Rafa, the timing was perfect for him: he was just peaking (for Peking...sorry, I couldn't resist,) and he'd never been to the Olympics before, so he enjoyed it, and hadn't really put the pressure on himself to win it. He had never stated it as goal.

Reactions: Kieran

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Whether it was foolish or nor the point is Djokovic did think winning the Olympic Gold was a big deal worthy of pursuit.
I agree with you, that it means something to the players. Somewhere between the notion of outsized importance and a meaningless bauble is the truth. Everyone grows up watching the Olympics. And tennis players, as individuals, rarely have the chance to play for country, and surely Davis Cup is not even close. It was winning Olympic gold that got Murray out of his always-a-bridesmaid slump at Majors. And I think if you'd ask Rafa if he'd trade that gold medal for the subsequent win at the USO, I don't think he would. He says he's happy with what he's achieved, and I believe him. He's spoken of his Olympic experience with great fondness. I saw him interviewed by Spanish tv as he walked of the court, having beaten Djokovic in the semis. The interviewer noted to him that he was guaranteed a medal, with that win. He started to cry, which is pretty uncommon for him. He pulled himself together, and apologized, saying that he was very tired. But he was obviously overwhelmed by the moment. I'm not going to say that it gets old to win your 14th Roland Garros title, but winning an Olympic gold medal might be something you wouldn't trade.

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Federer was a different type of player to Pete, not a ‘better version of him.’

They also played in different times, so comparisons are difficult. I get the Federer fans nostalgia for Roger, but two players who play better than him have popped up…
But you tried several times to tell us that Sampras played during a tougher era.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Oh course he did. Likewise Rafa in 2008. Both arrived in America diminished, with an actual great tennis prize there to be fought for. Who knows, had they not wasted their energy on the Olympics, tennis history might read differently…
Nadal fans have often criticized Federer fans for talking about what could have been.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
But you tried several times to tell us that Sampras played during a tougher era.
I don’t think I ‘tried’ to tell you that. The field was tougher then. It became easier for the best players to manage the field during the last two decades…

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Novak and Roger both stated publicly, at various points, that the Olympic Gold medal (in singles, obviously,) was a real goal for them. TBH, I thought both of those statements were made with a certain amount of hubris, meaning that they expected it was coming to them, IMO. If you didn't think you were likely to win it, why say it out loud? Which puts the pressure on. As for Rafa, the timing was perfect for him: he was just peaking (for Peking...sorry, I couldn't resist,) and he'd never been to the Olympics before, so he enjoyed it, and hadn't really put the pressure on himself to win it. He had never stated it as goal.
Every Olympic athlete, in every sport, will say winning the gold medal is a “real goal for them.” It’s not hubris; it’s competitiveness.

While tennis has no rich history associated with the Olympics, unlike other sports, it’s still the Olympics, which many athletes consider to be the apex of sporting events. Winning gold is a big deal. Basketball isn’t a sport which immediately comes to mind when someone says “Olympics“ yet look how many famous players have gone in order to get gold medals.

Reactions: Moxie
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Murat Baslamisli Pro Tennis (Mens) 1923