Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Djokovic in 3

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Cmon. 36-37 is terminal decline for this era, in the earlier eras it was about 30-31. Your expectations are unrealistic. Fed is done. Just accept it.
You are more realistic. There is enough evidence on tour right now that the players in early thirties are still very competitive, however after 35y there is a steep downhill starting.
Roger did better than most of them, winning one more slam at 36, because he is that good.
But I think his best days are over.
Hard to envision a rebound, because his game has deteriorated overall.
If it was not his serve, he would have been trashed today.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
You are more realistic. There is enough evidence on tour right now that the players in early thirties are still very competitive, however after 35y there is a steep downhill starting.
Roger did better than most of them, winning one more slam at 36, because he is that good.
But I think his best days are over.
Hard to envision a rebound, because his game has deteriorated overall.
If it was not his serve, he would have been trashed today.

You've been saying it for years so eventually you'll be right. Roger's serve was trash today as well, his whole game was. He won't always suck this bad I promise ya. "Mama said there'll be days like this" :)

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
It all looked on Fed’s side before the final. History favoured him because he won the tournament 7 times to Nole’s none and 3 of those 7 times were against Nole.

Federer played one match less to get to the final and to lesser opponents. On his way to the final Fed had to play #47, #50, #151 and injured #11, practically nobody, while Nole had to play #33, #28, #5, #29 and #7. So, Nole had to beat 6 top 35 players to win the title, while Fed beat only one such player who was also injured to get to the final. But it is normally like that, huge imbalance in opposition between Nole and his rivals, especially Federer.

However, no one can deny to Nole, this title was totally deserved.

Congratulations to Nole and all his fans.

Finally, I’d like to paraphrase Robbie Koenig, Nole gave his rivals two years to win their titles while he was off, now he will catch up with them.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
You've been saying it for years so eventually you'll be right. Roger's serve was trash today as well, his whole game was. He won't always suck this bad I promise ya. "Mama said there'll be days like this" :)
Look he is still up there at #2, so that is undeniable that he is in his own league.
But check out later a new thread I will open to analyze how the active 35+ players fare on the tour.
You'll see it is not a pretty picture .

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It all looked on Fed’s side before the final. History favoured him because he won the tournament 7 times to Nole’s none and 3 of those 7 times were against Nole.

Federer played one match less to get to the final and to lesser opponents. On his way to the final Fed had to play #47, #50, #151 and injured #11, practically nobody, while Nole had to play #33, #28, #5, #29 and #7. So, Nole had to beat 6 top 35 players to win the title, while Fed beat only one such player who was also injured to get to the final. But it is normally like that, huge imbalance in opposition between Nole and his rivals, especially Federer.

However, no one can deny to Nole, this title was totally deserved.

Congratulations to Nole and all his fans.

Finally, I’d like to paraphrase Robbie Koenig, Nole gave his rivals two years to win their titles while he was off, now he will catch up with them.
Absolutely no denying that he deserved the win today. Happy for you, Mastoor, and all Nole's fans. It remains to be seen what Djokovic does as to catching up for his 2+ lost years. But it's not like he didn't profit, too, from a couple of years when Roger and Rafa were not top of their games, either. All factions will complain, but opportunities are what they are, and look who has gone through them: basically still the Big 3/4.

Reactions: Mastoor

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Look he is still up there at #2, so that is undeniable that he is in his own league.
But check out later a new thread I will open to analyze how the active 35+ players fare on the tour.
You'll see it is not a pretty picture .

Who cares about random journeymen at age 35? Evolution has changed things as well as sports medicine and nutrition (not to mention other possible factors). People now see mid-late 30's as old and in 20 years that will probably stretch to early-mid 40's. That's just how these things work. As long as Roger stays motivated he should be top 3 or 4, it doesn't take much with the current field. Hell he is #2 this year and he's been a dumpster fire since Rotterdam.

Last edited:

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Congrats to Djokovic on the win and winning all the Masters tournaments at least once. These achievements will be the nit picky things that help with arguments when it comes to his tennis legacy. Hopefully he can add another RG trophy to his case. It seems as if a relatively on Djokovic makes for an uneasy Federer and Nadal. Djokovic isn’t even in consistently great form, and he still seems to get gifts from Nadal and Federer.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Congrats to Djokovic on the win and winning all the Masters tournaments at least once. These achievements will be the nit picky things that help with arguments when it comes to his tennis legacy. Hopefully he can add another RG trophy to his case. It seems as if a relatively on Djokovic makes for an uneasy Federer and Nadal. Djokovic isn’t even in consistently great form, and he still seems to get gifts from Nadal and Federer.

I wasn't as hopeful now seeing Nole's form of late! He has glimpses of his genius of 2015, but then he has these niggling UFE's; esp. on the FH! He's nibble, really hustled and stretched for Fed's offerings yesterday, and proved by his win over Nadal at Wimbledon that he can keep his head and continue to fight! Wouldn't it be something if he saunters into Flushing and just sweeps the opposition aside? He needs to go out there from Day 1 and show them who's boss because there are these kids like Tsitsipas that'll sneak up on you! :whistle: :yesyes: :oops:

MikeOne

Masters Champion
Reactions
I wasn't as hopeful now seeing Nole's form of late! He has glimpses of his genius of 2015, but then he has these niggling UFE's; esp. on the FH! He's nibble, really hustled and stretched for Fed's offerings yesterday, and proved by his win over Nadal at Wimbledon that he can keep his head and continue to fight! Wouldn't it be something if he saunters into Flushing and just sweeps the opposition aside? He needs to go out there from Day 1 and show them who's boss because there are these kids like Tsitsipas that'll sneak up on you! :whistle: :yesyes: :oops:
Ahhh

Good to see some of my old friends going at it.

Fed too old? Been hearing this since 2008! When nole started beating him and nadal took over #1! According to Fed fans, FEd has been too old since 2008 and yet he somehow, miraculously, inexplicably, managed to win 2 slams in 2017, own his nemesis nadal and regain #1.

Age has become less of a factor today, heck, the 3 slam winners this year are all over 30! Wasn’t thirty ‘old’ back in 80s and 90s? Not today, seems players are peaking around 30 these days.

Fed is 37, he will most likley not be around when he’s 40 but the main reason he lost was that djokovic was relentless and wanted this badly. When nole is in form, he has been the best player since 2011 and when he’s offensive, as he was in sunday, he’s very difficult to beat. His defense is always incredible and i don’t think people appreciate the movement he showed on sunday, some of those stretch backhands were crazy. The insane defense, relentless pressure off return, off the ground and good serving made it a rough ride for fed and fed wasn’t ready for a rough ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
^^^ I was just hoping Fed was too old and would bow out by now! I figured he was done officially in 2012 when taking a Wimbledon title after 2 years of watching Nole and Rafa splitting them up since his previous win at '10 AO! He then went 5 years, being fodder for Nole most of the time, but he hung in there and with the absence of a couple other top players, he got back on top again! He won 3 more majors and looks to stave off Nadal overtaking his record in majors! :yesyes: :rolleyes: :clap: :good:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^^^ I was just hoping Fed was too old and would bow out by now! I figured he was done officially in 2012 when taking a Wimbledon title after 2 years of watching Nole and Rafa splitting them up since his previous win at '10 AO! He then went 5 years, being fodder for Nole most of the time, but he hung in there and with the absence of a couple other top players, he got back on top again! He won 3 more majors and looks to stave off Nadal overtaking his record in majors! :yesyes: :rolleyes: :clap: :good:

The one thing I can appreciate from Federer is to potentially "inspire" both Rafa and Novak that they both have plenty of good top tennis left in them. If they can maintain conditioning and focus they too can be a factor at age 37 and beyond...

I'm sure Roger would love to watch from the sidelines Rafa and Novak as they battle it out for Majors 6 years from now.

As his Rolex commecials ads have him say seriously & "sincerely", and I paraphrase, "its to give back to the game, It's not about me. Its about giving back to the game.."

What better way to give back to the game than have your rivals go on to greater heights and match and surpass his Major titles?

Again, because "it's not about me".

I love that commericial.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
The one thing I can appreciate from Federer is to potentially "inspire" both Rafa and Novak that they both have plenty of good top tennis left in them. If they can maintain conditioning and focus they too can be a factor at age 37 and beyond...

I'm sure Roger would love to watch from the sidelines Rafa and Novak as they battle it out for Majors 6 years from now.

As his Rolex commecials ads have him say seriously & "sincerely", and I paraphrase, "its to give back to the game, It's not about me. Its about giving back to the game.."

What better way to give back to the game than have your rivals go on to greater heights and match and surpass his Major titles?

Again, because "it's not about me".

I love that commericial.

I love how Rafa nuts like you act all high and mighty and then mock the crap out of him like this.

Anyways if Rafa and Nole are able to both achieve greater heights it just means Roger didn't achieve great heights himself. I also don't think they'll be playing well at 37 because they rely way more on movement than Federer.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I love how Rafa nuts like you act all high and mighty and then mock the crap out of him like this.

Anyways if Rafa and Nole are able to both achieve greater heights it just means Roger didn't achieve great heights himself. I also don't think they'll be playing well at 37 because they rely way more on movement than Federer.
Precisely, they rely way more on their physical prowess than Federer.

Reactions: Fiero425

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope it will happen less now, with the serve clock.

They are rarely calling them on top guys even when the clock expires. Not to mention they are getting 30+ seconds to begin with since the clock starts 5-6 seconds after the point

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I'm pretty sure that @Jelenafan is not a "Rafa nut." Oh, and right, if Rafa and/or Nole pass him, it's only because Roger underachieved. Great preemptive PR. It's cool, though, you've already said it 9 million times. I think you've got your a$$ covered for Federer "underachieving." Whether that will hold water remains to be seen. They're all still playing.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Precisely, they rely way more on their physical prowess than Federer.

True but physical prowess is more than just stamina or speed.

Novak has the most uncanny Ted Williams like eye to hand coordination for ROS, and Rafa’s serve placement these days is better than ever even without the 130-140 mph heat the big servers use.

We all know the Gumby like flexibility of Novak and Rafa’s good sense when to close off a point at net.

Having said that , I rarely hear Roger discussed among the “ slower” players of the tour, and his stamina through conditioning seems among the best, so if they have more physical prowess, it’s usually the battle between the eyes “ mental” when they best Roger.

Certainly Novak didn’t blow Roger off the court with sheer “ physical prowess” in Cincinnati.