Reactions
RE: Breaking - Rafa injured, out of Rogers Cup, Cincy

Moxie629 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Kieran said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Kieran said:
Thanks sista!

I wonder what'll happen. Obviously, if there's any danger of making the wrist worse, they'll withdraw. On the other hand, will he play even if he feels he just hasn't had enough time (and certainly no matches) with it? I would prefer that he'd play in this circumstance because you'd never know what might happen if he makes week 2.

However, I wish him well, of course. Vamos Rafa!! :clap :clap :clap

I can tell you now if he does not play it will suck for everybody. He is a presence and any big tourney feels different without him.

That's the truth. Rafa is a compelling figure. You see the effect he has just by dropping by here. He's definitely missed when he's not around, and his career has been blighted enough by injuries, I'd just wish for him to have a few healthy years before he retires...

+1 here.

I am not worried. They don't call him the bull of Manacor for nothin'.;)

I fixed that for ya, LB. ;)

If there's any danger of further injuring the wrist, he won't play, and no one wants him to. (Everyone who gets a sore wrist must be looking over at JMDP and thinking they don't want that to be them.) If it's just lack of matches, he should play, though. He hasn't been out that long, and, with a favorable draw, he could still go deep, or even win, with some help from Lady Luck. He's better than most all of the field, even rusty. Anyway, it'd be better than losing all 2000 of those points.

Thanks...damn auto correct!

Agree totally. He also can avoid hitting backhands much the time unlike Juan Martin. For at least the first few matches. Backhand Return of serve may be a problem...that is a going to be stressful..

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Kieran said:
Front242 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Front242 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
You were warned. And it is the last warning.

Yes, by you and you're not a mod so your warnings mean absolutely nothing.

It won't be the mods shutting it down.

How many tennis sites do you know that were shut down out of interest? tennis.com's forum wasn't closed for talking about doping. Name some that were?

Front, will you give a bleeding rest! That ship has sailed, you've been asked by moxie to move on, you're jamming up every thread, it's getting unpleasant around here. Will you try post about what the topic is about and stop showing your true colours!

You give it a rest. I made a valid point and he didn't. The site is not going to be shut down. You're asking me to post about the topic and yet other people have sent stupid messages to me. Usually one replies on forums to posts made to them, that's how they work. Rafa's brace is off and he'll try some backhands soon. That's good for him and his fans. What else is there to post?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
Rafa's brace is off and he'll try some backhands soon. That's good for him and his fans. What else is there to post?

That's plenty.

We're back on topic...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Luxilon Borg said:
Moxie629 said:
Luxilon Borg said:
Kieran said:
Luxilon Borg said:
I can tell you now if he does not play it will suck for everybody. He is a presence and any big tourney feels different without him.

That's the truth. Rafa is a compelling figure. You see the effect he has just by dropping by here. He's definitely missed when he's not around, and his career has been blighted enough by injuries, I'd just wish for him to have a few healthy years before he retires...

+1 here.

I am not worried. They don't call him the bull of Manacor for nothin'.;)

I fixed that for ya, LB. ;)

If there's any danger of further injuring the wrist, he won't play, and no one wants him to. (Everyone who gets a sore wrist must be looking over at JMDP and thinking they don't want that to be them.) If it's just lack of matches, he should play, though. He hasn't been out that long, and, with a favorable draw, he could still go deep, or even win, with some help from Lady Luck. He's better than most all of the field, even rusty. Anyway, it'd be better than losing all 2000 of those points.

Thanks...damn auto correct!

Agree totally. He also can avoid hitting backhands much the time unlike Juan Martin. For at least the first few matches. Backhand Return of serve may be a problem...that is a going to be stressful..

Excellent news.. Maybe Rafa can have someone from his team such as his physico call Dr Front to prescribe something to mass the pain and discomfort.:angel:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

He's played with a numb foot before so nothing new there. Not a good idea to play though pain though in any case. All numbed up you feel nothing but once off the anti inflammatories and painkillers you feel worse and may end up doing a lot more damage. Not wise.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

^ Plus all players play year round with pain and discomfort. He's hardly the only one.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
He's played with a numb foot before so nothing new there. Not a good idea to play though pain though in any case. All numbed up you feel nothing but once off the anti inflammatories and painkillers you feel worse and may end up doing a lot more damage. Not wise.

Front, Sampras played and won his last Wimbledon title playing on very pain shin splints.. they were actually so bad that he didnt practice and took shots between matches. True, Rafa doesnt have big 1st and 2nd serve weapons like Pete but he should be able to manage his pain and discomfort for two weeks. IMO

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Front, Sampras played and won his last Wimbledon title playing on very pain shin splints.. they were actually so bad that he didnt practice and took shots between matches. True, Rafa doesnt have big 1st and 2nd serve weapons like Pete but he should be able to manage his pain and discomfort for two weeks. IMO

Oh for 2 weeks I agree. My point is that after the 2 weeks are over he may well make the existing pain worse which is never wise. Sampras I guess didn't care 'cos he was practically retired so he wasn't jeopardizing his career. For example, I think most would agree Del Potro played too long with that left wrist and made it worse to the extent it needed surgery. Now maybe it would've anyway but who knows. Remember he was playing one match at every tournament and then retiring or pulling out of the next event for ages. That's not wise in the long term.

N

NADAL2005RG

BvGHgCFCYAAjpHn.png

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

There is no requirement that Nadal announces it soon. As long as he announces it before
the draw is made (which is scheduled for Thursday of the next week), it would save some
hassle for the organizers.

If he is playing, he will surely want to be in NY at least by Thursday and so he
will definitely be announcing whether he participates or not before Thursday.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

General purposes announcement: We, the admins, agreed to prune this thread of that which was off-topic and offensive, including unfounded doping allegations against multiple players; wildly off-topic political tangents; back-biting and insulting posts from one member to another, and all quotations of those posts. Tellingly, the thread has gone from 23 pages down to 8. For those who posted earnestly, and especially tried to right the ship or otherwise to serve the greater good and higher minded discussion, your posts were sometimes the babies that went out with the bathwater. We're grateful for the effort, and it would be too difficult to PM you all, thus the general statement. This is not something we would normally do, but the thread was in extremis. We hope you will accept this as a blanket explanation, and that you understand.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread about Rafa's wrist...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
General purposes announcement: We, the admins, agreed to prune this thread of that which was off-topic and offensive, including unfounded doping allegations against multiple players; wildly off-topic political tangents; back-biting and insulting posts from one member to another, and all quotations of those posts. Tellingly, the thread has gone from 23 pages down to 8. For those who posted earnestly, and especially tried to right the ship or otherwise to serve the greater good and higher minded discussion, your posts were sometimes the babies that went out with the bathwater. We're grateful for the effort, and it would be too difficult to PM you all, thus the general statement. This is not something we would normally do, but the thread was in extremis. We hope you will accept this as a blanket explanation, and that you understand.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread about Rafa's wrist...

The only understanding I had was that off topic posts from this thread will be moved to
a different thread with more appropriate title.

In any case, deleting posts made by members arbitrarily is heavy handed. :mad::mad::mad:
You should realize that none of these posts violated any policies as you did not have any guidelines
at the time they were posted. This is against the basic principle that you cannot enact
a law today and use it to retroactively punish those who did not obey the law yesterday.
:nono:nono:nono

Also, I wanted to study these posts and in particular the assorted links in them carefully
as I did not have enough time to go through them at that time.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

^ As we stated above, the deleting of posts wasn't the least bit arbitrary. It was based on a very specific conversation about policy amongst the admins. However, we have archived some of it. You can PM me. But you are the only one who's being so petulant about it. It seems clear to everyone else.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions

Rafa spotted practicing with Carlos Moya in his hometown without the splint and including
backhand strokes. No word on how well it is going though. It appears more and more likely
that he will participate in USO.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions

I don't know any new news about Nadal, all I know is that he practices regularly and last week Dusan Lajovic joined him for a couple of days.

Also the best coach's tactic for this year is to be happy when Nole loses and hope for his worst possible condition for the USO:lolz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn-WJSJcOtA#t=11

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions

Billie said:
I don't know any new news about Nadal, all I know is that he practices regularly and last week Dusan Lajovic joined him for a couple of days.

Also the best coach's tactic for this year is to be happy when Nole loses and hope for his worst possible condition for the USO:lolz:

Awesome vid. I have always loved the fact Nadal practices at public courts. I can't even imagine the regal Federer doing that. Little do those fans know Rafa has 100 million in the bank.:cool:...

N

NADAL2005RG

Back in 2011-jan2012 I wonder how many people thought Nadal would end up having a 9-3 slam h2h lead over Djokovic. I remember watching ESPN First Take the day after the 2012 AO final and this is what their experts had to say-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Lylybycxc

Skip Bayless: They can still be playing and Djokovic would win the match, because he now owns Nadal psychologically just the way Nadal owns Federer psychologically. It only happens in the sport of tennis....Once you break somebody's will its done, your done, and you can play as long as you want and you won't beat the guy.

Stephen A. Smith: It's over....It's over....No disagreement there.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Billie said:

I don't know if your understanding of Catalan is any better than mine, but I don't think that's what Toni was saying. He is laughing when they ask him about Djokovic losing in Toronto, but he then says, after 7 losses (to him,) it's the consolation of fools. The comment seemed more self-deprecating, to me. Not sure where you got your translation.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
Billie said:

I don't know if your understanding of Catalan is any better than mine, but I don't think that's what Toni was saying. He is laughing when they ask him about Djokovic losing in Toronto, but he then says, after 7 losses (to him,) it's the consolation of fools. The comment seemed more self-deprecating, to me. Not sure where you got your translation.

That Catalan language is something else...;)

bobvance

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

Rafa withdrew from the USO:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/08/rafael-nadal-withdraws-2014-us-open-right-wrist-injury/52465/#.U_IAJp3D_IU