BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2023 - ATP Masters 1000

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Once again, Sinner is not serving well enough 54% is just low percentage especially against top players.

He has to improve that area to give himself chances with these matches

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What Charlie did in the TB is what's missing from Jannik. Carlito refuses to lose even when he puts in an array of UE's. Winning that slam just reaffirmed what he already believed. He will be really hard to beat in the 2nd set as his confidence will just grow.
I know, but if there are couple of players that can dent his confidence, Sinner is one of them.

Reactions: kskate2

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm having bad memories of Rafa-Roger matches. Sinner seems like he "should" be winning, but Alcaraz is just so hard to beat and always seems to find a way when it matters most.
Who had the early break, though?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I know, but if there are couple of players that can dent his confidence, Sinner is one of them.
I agree as Jannik and FAA were his kryptonite early on. But it seems, he learned from those losses because he bossed FAA the other day and he was able to turn the tide on Jannik at the USO. I do see this as a intriguing rivalry going forward. Jannik has all the physical skills to succeed. He just needs to get clutch when the match gets tough.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
FH winner from Alcaraz curves in and lands on the line lol! ( reminds me of another Spanish player lol )

Reactions: Moxie

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
One thing about Sinner is that he won’t ever be intimidated by Alcaraz. He relishes his battles against Alcaraz.

His biggest problem (other than his serve % and fitness) will be his ”macro” belief in winning the whole tournament.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Goodness me Jannik you big feet got in the way, as you were trying to run around your bhand and got broken, a poor service game to boot

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree as Jannik and FAA were his kryptonite early on. But it seems, he learned from those losses because he bossed FAA the other day and he was able to turn the tide on Jannik at the USO. I do see this as a intriguing rivalry going forward. Jannik has all the physical skills to succeed. He just needs to get clutch when the match gets tough.
To be honest, I do not believe FAA was one of Alcaraz’s kryptonite. The H2H record was misleading…

Sinner is a different story. Interestingly enough, I think their future matches will be different every single time. Even if Sinner loses this match, it won’t affect his confidence against Alcaraz in the next match.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Sinner does not break serve in the next service game, this match is over.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
To be honest, I do not believe FAA was one of Alcaraz’s kryptonite. The H2H record was misleading…

Sinner is a different story. Interestingly enough, I think their future matches will be different every single time. Even if Sinner loses this match, it won’t affect his confidence against Alcaraz in the next match.
I hope not. Because I can see these 2 contending for titles on Sundays and I need Jannik to keep hope alive

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
If Sinner does not break serve in the next service game, this match is over.
His serve is really letting him down, I cant see him breaking Alcaraz now, he had his chances to win in the 1st set, to me to have a chance to win the match, he had to win the first set
Though I will be happy to be wrong:)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@don_fabio You are tops in the draw challenge! If Medvedev wins it all, you win the challenge. (Someone below picked Alcaraz, so I think that's the only one who can displace you.)

View attachment 7865
I'm actually surprised to see how many people chose Sinner over Alcaraz tonight. We are all going down now seeing where this match is going, but it was a good draw for me, plenty of good picks. I still hope Sinner can turn this one around :)

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
His serve is really letting him down, I cant see him breaking Alcaraz now, he had his chances to win in the 1st set, to me to have a chance to win the match, he had to win the first set
That’s the beauty of Sinner, he might not have a very good serve, but he is a GREAT returner (probably better than Alcaraz as of right now, imo).

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
That’s the beauty of Sinner, he might not have a very good serve, but he is a GREAT returner (probably better than Alcaraz as of right now, imo).
I agree he has a better return game than Alcaraz, and Sinner's fhand also has been better in this match so far, more consistent, it also was great in his match against Fritz yesterday

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Alcaraz has a great and a smart drop shot. They know it's coming, but he uses it at the right time.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer