BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, CA, 2023 - ATP Masters 1000

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am not totally disappointed about Sinner’s loss at all. In fact, I did say an Alcaraz/Medvedev path will be too much for Sinner at this stage.

At the very least, he reach the IW SF and defeated a player he is supposed to beat (Fritz).
You did say all of that, and well-projected. I still think it's fair to say a half-step up for the Italian. He'll get there, I have no doubt. I still say he's grown an inch or two, and he still has growing into his body to do.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well it is Medvedev Alcaraz final, not too bad. They got my attention!
Both are playing some very fine tennis. I'll be curious to know how they match up on HC, and at this later iteration of each other. I do think that Alcaraz has the better head, and better FH, while Medvedev has the better BH. Medvedev loves to stand far back, and Alcaraz loves to kill with the drop shot. Also, Medvedev is prone to getting disgruntled, especially if the crowd is against him, and Alcaraz is a crowd-pleaser, everywhere he goes. Intriguing final.

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz on facing Medvedev in the final,

" I'm an ambitious guy. I want to play the best player in the world. If you want to be the best, you must beat the best. Daniil is the best player right now, For me it will be a difficult challenge, but I'm prepared. I'll show my best in the final."

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz on facing Medvedev in the final,

" I'm an ambitious guy. I want to play the best player in the world. If you want to be the best, you must beat the best. Daniil is the best player right now, For me it will be a difficult challenge, but I'm prepared. I'll show my best in the final."
I'm going with da young Spaniard in a mild upset. He looks like he playing at Daniil's defensive and offensive level

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm going with da young Spaniard in a mild upset. He looks like he playing at Daniil's defensive and offensive level
It will be an interesting match, contrast styles, this court suits both players, though I feel Alcaraz is always looking to come forward and trying to be offensive more at times than Medvedev, Medvedev will have to try to contain Alcaraz on the baseline, so he does not get on the front foot. Alcaraz for me.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
It will be an interesting match, contrast styles, this court suits both players, though I feel Alcaraz is always looking to come forward and trying to be offensive more at times than Medvedev, Medvedev will have to try to contain Alcaraz on the baseline, so he does not get on the front foot. Alcaraz for me.
The difference in the match will be Daniil's service. If he can serve very well, he will be able to neutralize Alvarez offensive somewhat. As you say, both players game really are well suited by the speed of the courts. Tiafoe played fantastic yet the 7foot wing spam by Daniil's reach and defense is sublime..Taka a chance to watch when Daniil is hitting his FH as he moves to the Right, watch the position of his head. It's stays still through our the stroke Perfect technique IMO

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz is favourite in this match, for me. He’s the more aggressive, the more capable of making opportunities to push Medvedev out of his comfort zone. The way Alcaraz attacks the net during a rally off an ordinary random ground stroke tells me that Charlie has this Federer-like ability to surprise - even surprise himself maybe with his improvisations - but he’s also aggressive and rough like Rafa. Somewhere in Danii’s head is a softness. Similar to Djokovic, he wants to be loved.

I like them both but Danii will have his work cut out if Alcaraz comes out swinging…

tented

Administrator
Reactions
C5414E47-8E98-4F79-9127-819392A98E40.jpeg

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz is a freaking beast. When healthy and 100% he is playing like his goal is 30 slams and 500 weeks on number 1. Loss is not an option for him.
Don
I know he is young, though he has 'arse' in spades, the point of the match was that lob he put up and everyone thought it was going out, it landed right on the line, he got a standing ovation from the crowd, my husband looked at me and said the youngster is ' a freak' lol! I said he has no fear at all at this stage of his career lol!

Reactions: don_fabio

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The difference in the match will be Daniil's service. If he can serve very well, he will be able to neutralize Alvarez offensive somewhat. As you say, both players game really are well suited by the speed of the courts. Tiafoe played fantastic yet the 7foot wing spam by Daniil's reach and defense is sublime..Taka a chance to watch when Daniil is hitting his FH as he moves to the Right, watch the position of his head. It's stays still through our the stroke Perfect technique IMO
I think an area where Alcaraz can improve somewhat is his return of serve, watching the match yesterday, with Sinner, who I feel has a great return of serve, to me has a better return of serve than Alcaraz.That will be an interesting feature of the match, both players serve, though when Alcaraz is under pressure, he produces that kicker serve,, to perfection and usually his opponent cannot return.
Also another factor in this match up, can Meddy win 4 titles in a row? though I read he said rolling his ankle in one of his matches, he has played better lol! I love Meddy and his dry sense of humor.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just got back into town Friday and have been trying to catch up on matches. Saw some good ones. Carlos looks solid, having taken down FAA and Sinner. I just need some clarification. Since Daniil is a former Nex-Gen and Carlos is present Nex-Gen, does that mean Medvedev is downgraded to Gen and Wawrinka, Nadal, Murray and Djokovic are now Ex-Gen??