7. Juan Monaco (ARG)
8. Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
Anyone know why Ferrer skipped MC?

Yes, he said he was injured:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ferrer-skip-monte-carlo-masters-151412289--ten.html

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
herios said:
kskate2 said:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ferrer-skip-monte-carlo-masters-151412289--ten.html

The other two injured guys played.

He just knew he didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning.

Ferrer is not that type of guy to back down, he plays almost every week. when healthy. I am surprised by your message to be honest. And he usually is well aware that hes not the favorite in masters.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nehmeth said:
herios said:
I am surprised by your message to be honest.

he couldn't even specify what the injury was.

Because you are driving me bonkers with this, here you go, his injury originated from his final in Miami, and is his thigh:

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/home/news/detail/item959014/

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Boys, great day today.:angel:

Herios don't let him drive you bonkers;)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
herios said:
kskate2 said:

I don't think that's fair. Ferrer has played a lot of tennis up until this point, and if he wants to have a good finish at the RG, he needs to take a break. And, apparently, he has an injury.

Nadal is not injured...he's recovering. And, clearly, Djokovic is no longer injured, either. Give Ferrer his due for managing his body and schedule. Everyone thinks it's ok that Fed is taking MC off. Why not for Ferrer, who is #4, and also 31 years old?

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
nehmeth said:
herios said:
kskate2 said:

I don't think that's fair. Ferrer has played a lot of tennis up until this point, and if he wants to have a good finish at the RG, he needs to take a break. And, apparently, he has an injury.

Nadal is not injured...he's recovering. And, clearly, Djokovic is no longer injured, either. Give Ferrer his due for managing his body and schedule. Everyone thinks it's ok that Fed is taking MC off. Why not for Ferrer, who is #4, and also 31 years old?

Thank you Moxie! everyone who makes fun of Ferrer, will need to put up with me. The guy deserves a lot of respect, he plays more than anyone else on tour, even those 10 years younger than him.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
herios said:
Thank you Moxie! everyone who makes fun of Ferrer, will need to put up with me. The guy deserves a lot of respect, he plays more than anyone else on tour, even those 10 years younger than him.

Good for you, Herios! I also have a lot of respect for Ferrer, and don't like it when people try to denigrate him and/or his accomplishments. The guy's a competitive, driven, serious workhorse. If he says he's injured, rest assured he's injured.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Just saw the imminent outcome of the Gulbis -Verdasco match, with Ernesto taking it in 2 sets: 6-3,6-4.
The two of them are on a very defined career path: Gulbis - up, Verdasco - down.

I do not comprehend why Gulbis had to play qualifications here, when he is ranked in the 50's, it makes no sense.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
herios said:
Just saw the imminent outcome of the Gulbis -Verdasco match, with Ernesto taking it in 2 sets: 6-3,6-4.
The two of them are on a very defined career path: Gulbis - up, Verdasco - down.

I do not comprehend why Gulbis had to play qualifications here, when he is ranked in the 50's, t makes no sense.

I was wondering the same. Maybe Barcelona based the entry list on rankings before Delray Beach (questionable) or Gulbis subscribed to the qualification tournament a while ago not knowing he would get so many points over the last weeks. OR he just wanted the practice. It's Gulbis, he's quite different than others, it wouldn't surprise me.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Denisovich said:
herios said:

I do not comprehend why Gulbis had to play qualifications here, when he is ranked in the 50's, t makes no sense.

I was wondering the same. Maybe Barcelona based the entry list on rankings before Delray Beach (questionable) or Gulbis subscribed to the qualification tournament a while ago not knowing he would get so many points over the last weeks. OR he just wanted the practice. It's Gulbis, he's quite different than others, it wouldn't surprise me.

There is no way, they based the entry list based on ranking that far back as prior to Delray Beach.
If Ernest wanted to practice, it works do far, first Sepanek, then Verdasco...

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Apparently Gulbis registered too late for this event, that is why he had to play in Q.
Now, there is a very intriguing R2, between Davydenko - Berdych and Nikolay took the first set 6-3!

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Dimitrov lost to Robredo, 7-5, 6-1. I hate to see that scoreline. It reeks of tanking, but I have not seen the match, so I should not be judgmental.
As we speak, Tursunov got the first set from David and Monaco bagelled Tomic in the first.
Milos through in straights.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Dimitrov lost to Robredo, 7-5, 6-1. I hate to see that scoreline. It reeks of tanking, but I have not seen the match, so I should not be judgmental.
As we speak, Tursunov got the first set from David and Monaco bagelled Tomic in the first.
Milos through in straights.

Dimitrov still needs to have more experiene in handling all kind of players. I am definitely not bandwagoning him just yet, he needs more stamina and maturity.
Milos sets up an exciting match with Gulbis.

Monaco - Tomic 6-0. 6-2. On one side, nice to see Monaco getting it back together, after a dismal start to the year, but Tomic got to learn how to play on clay.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Prior to this match Tursunov had a career record of 17-28 on clay and this was his first tourney on the dirt of the season. If Ferrer lost the decisive set 1-6 to the Russian, it tells me a lot about David's physical shape and hopefully puts the myth to bed that he 'tanked' Monte Carlo due to reasons other than being injured.

But Ferrer's loss opens up a big chance for the likes of Bellucci, Klizan and Kohls to reach the semis. And considering that Almagro isn't in top form either, we could see Monaco having a shot for the final if he keeps improving. The upper half is also very interesting with Berdych, Gulbis, Raonic, veteran Robredo, Nishikori, Jerzy and Rafa in the mix. A lot of intriguing stories and potential matchups which is very good for the tournament.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rafa getting broken when serving for the set is becoming a very nasty habit. :mad: