• Cuevas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somebody Else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thiem was valiant today, but Rafa was disappointing. Ah, well...onto Rio. I rather hope Thiem wins, though I like Almagro. It's been a good week for the younger players.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Nicolas Almagro surprised David Ferrer in the other semi 6-4 7-5. We have a Spaniard in the final - just not one anybody was expecting.

This was a surprising result for me considering Nico had never beat Ferrer before today. Perhaps playing 2 matches in 1 day was too much for David.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I followed JMDP closely, he never played the South American swing. He was always first and foremost a player who preferred HC over clay, unlike his fellow argentines.

Yes Hard court, that must be the reason.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I imagine this loss was more terrible for Rafa than the other 2 he had earlier this year. This was on clay and Thiem beat a top tenner only once before.

So both finalist are surprising ones.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's clear that Rafa is more involved in others business than in tennis. His words and acceptance after every loss seems to be unreal coming from a Champion like him "it's ok, I tried, I was close to win, I played well, I just feel a little tired" . Sorry Rafa but your attitude doesn't help at all, it would be better if you start to smash the racket, the adds around the court too, using the body language like others players do for every single point they lose and focus more in the game, maybe I wouldn't like you so much and I wouldn't have all the respect and admiration that I have for you but it would help you to win more :( :scratch:

Last edited:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Another surprise, Almagro beaten Ferru? well, good for him, he has a great game but not very good and strong mentality besides to have been with the foot injury, hope he is going to do a good match and win, Vamos!!! :-)2

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Dominic Thiem clinches Argentina Open Title, Buenos Aires.

Dominic Thiem (AUT) defeated Nicolas Almagro 7-6(2) 3-6 7-6(4)

Dominic-Thiem-Trophy-160214R300.jpg

Reuters

Dominic's win breaks a thirteen year stranglehold on this tournament by Spanish/Argentine players.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Very nice Dominic. 4 titles already and he is the youngest player on tour to win at least one.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Happy for Dominic!!! He is progressing very nicely. Looks like he likes clay as well.B-)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Happy for Dominic!!! He is progressing very nicely. Looks like he likes clay as well.B-)
At this point, I think he could be called a dirt-baller. He does well on clay.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
What the hell Rafa.why are you tweaking your serve for starters? OMG your loss to Theim for starters on clay?
I am over it is a 'confidence issue'' for starters.Thiem deserved his win and also his win over Almagro
I never thought I would see you 'again' struggle on clay' as a fan since you started the tour,I am lost for words.Full Stop.
I am leaving for Dubai.Good luck Rafa in your next tournament.

Reactions: Carol and Moxie

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What the hell Rafa.why are you tweaking your serve for starters? OMG your loss to Theim for starters on clay?
I am over it is a 'confidence issue'' for starters.Thiem deserved his win and also his win over Almagro
I never thought I would see you 'again' struggle on clay' as a fan since you started the tour,I am lost for words.Full Stop.
I am leaving for Dubai.Good luck Rafa in your next tournament.

Have a nice trip Marg!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Big win for Thiem. I have to admit it kind of surprises me that he seems to prefer clay vs. other surfaces.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Big win for Thiem. I have to admit it kind of surprises me that he seems to prefer clay vs. other surfaces.
European players grow up on clay and he has a powerful single handed backhand. It makes sense.

The wheels are really starting to come off quickly now with Rafa. What about considering retirement to preserve his invincible image on clay? If he can't turn things around, he only has things to lose.

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes, European players grow up on clay but that doesn't mean it's going to be their best surface. In many cases it is their worst. Having a one-handed backhand on clay is generally a huge disadvantage.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yes, European players grow up on clay but that doesn't mean it's going to be their best surface. In many cases it is their worst. Having a one-handed backhand on clay is generally a huge disadvantage.
Tell that to Wawrinka

Reactions: Denis

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ Or tell that to Federer and Sampras. Kind of easy to dig up examples supporting either side of the argument.