• Cuevas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somebody Else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I couldn't watch from mid-way through the 2nd and am just catching up now. A couple of things, though: Rafa was serving for it at 5-4, and got broken. He's making a bad habit of not serving out sets and matches. Also, Pico is a lovely shot-maker, but he's been off for 6 months. This shouldn't have been so hard.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So Nadal wins 6-4 6-4.

Did you watch it Carol?

Nope, I didn't because I didn't find any stream for free and I didn't know about ATP where we can see all the matches, I found out that too late :cry:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I've read something about Rafa was taking some pills during the match, does someone know something about it? I hope he doesn't feel sick

Ok, I've just found out he had an upset stomach but he got over before to finish the match
(Sorry, the article is in Spanish and I think Moxie is the only one to understand :unsure:

http://tenis.as.com/tenis/2016/02/12/mas_tenis/1455247950_044550.html

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal post-match (Spanish)

He was talking about Monaco and others friends of him in the tour, they are professionals and all of them are playing to win, it doesn't matter the friendship. Also about the Monaco's wrist and the surgery and about how many good players are in this tournament this year

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
In the broad-strokes, to translate Rafa's on-court interview that BB posted above: They asked Rafa if was hard to separate friendship from the work, and he said, no, in the end, we're professionals. His last year was tough. I saw him last summer, and then I realized he was going to have to have surgery. We're not kids anymore, and that's a serious thing. Some of the rest is glitchy, but the upshot is they talked about Monaco.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Watching the Highlights I see Monaco playing pretty well and strong after have been 6 months out of the court, it seems have been a good training for Rafa's first match, he looked a little rusty but he finished the match making very good points

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa beat his boyfriend expectedly. They both play well only in patches.

Why Delpo doesn't play here but in Delray beach instead?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Why Delpo doesn't play here but in Delray beach instead?

It's a good question. And I'm with you, I would have though home town support, etc. Perhaps he feels there is less pressure starting his return to the tour away from home. I guess it's a personal choice, so who can know?

Reactions: EdbergsGhost

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quarter Finals, Argentina Open

Lajovic v Thiem
Nadal v Lorenzi
Almagro v Tsonga
Cuevas v Ferrer

Nadal should beat Lorenzi, but Paulo has had a good start to the season with a semi final at Quito and a final at Bucaramanga Challenger. He also took a set of Nadal at the Rome Masters in 2011. Good serve.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
a lot of breaks of serve in that rafa/Monaco match, a lot of errors, both haven't played for a bit though, juan was injured since last summer so I was reading.

rafa connected with a few classic dtl forehands but will need to up his level and he probably will.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It's a good question. And I'm with you, I would have though home town support, etc. Perhaps he feels there is less pressure starting his return to the tour away from home. I guess it's a personal choice, so who can know?

I followed JMDP closely, he never played the South American swing. He was always first and foremost a player who preferred HC over clay, unlike his fellow argentines.

Reactions: Mastoor and britbox

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
What I've always heard is that Delpo never has had very good relation with the others Argentines players starting with Nalbandian .......who knows

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Quarterfinals (5) Dominic Thiem vs. Dusan Lajovic Thiem: 6-4, 6-2
Quarterfinals (1) Rafael Nadal vs. Paolo Lorenzi Nadal: 7-6, 6-2

Rafa advances to the semis.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Nadal Interview (Spanish)

Nice if @Moxie or @Carol could give us the gist of what's being said. :)

I had a dinner with my coworkers and I've just came home. The sound is awful and I can't hear well what he says. I'm going to find out another link with that interview
How Rafa has played? I see that the first set was tied but the second one easier

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rafa was strong in the first, but, as usual these days, failed to serve it out. Lorenzi, after a nervous start, took something from the Monaco playbook and started taking the ball earlier. Nadal got behind in the 2nd, but pulled it all back together in the end. His play and confidence is still erratic. The DTL forehand is working for him. Sometimes the serve is a weapon, sometimes he's spinning it in. Sometimes he's dictating, sometimes he's dumping shots unexpectedly into the net. Lorenzi, while a noble journeyman, had no reason to challenge Rafa as much as he did. Rafa still has a lot of work to do.