2024 ATP General News

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I feel like the comeback at the 2020 US Open saved Dominic Thiem's legacy. If he doesn't complete the comeback, I feel like we'd be looking at not only Thiem, but Zverev, a lot differently. If Zverev holds on to win that match, their career comparison aren't even close, with Zverev having a clear advantage over Thiem. We'd also be questioning Thiem's mental toughness, instead of Zverev's (especially what would come later, with how Zverev was able to come back from his injuries a lot better than Thiem).
Theim didnt play at all well at the USO 2020, he was lucky to make the final? did you watch the match? it was one of the worst ATP finals I have watched, my husband walked out as he could not watch the match any longer that was in the 2nd set.Apart from the choking of Zverev, who served for the match losing it with 2 CH points, Zverev should have beaten Theim in straight sets,, then we had to endure the rest of the match with Theim getting cramps, towards the end of the match. It is a ATP final I wish to forget period.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Dominc Thiem has officially announced he will retire at the end of 2024, says his wrist problems forced him into the decision, he made the announcement on social media today
( source Olly@Olly Tennis)

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Terrible News,
Jiri Lehecka will miss Roland Garros he has suffered a stress fracture in his back, he just reached his first Masters SF, playing the tennis of his life
Jiri hopes to be back for Wimbledon

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Terrible News,
Jiri Lehecka will miss Roland Garros he has suffered a stress fracture in his back, he just reached his first Masters SF, playing the tennis of his life
Jiri hopes to be back for Wimbledon
Aw no. So disappointing

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
From what I read earlier Jiri has had back problems earlier this year, a promising player, also his game does suit the grass
Same happened to Van Rijthoven. Bad back really since doing well at Wimbledon. Berrettini too has been almost constantly injured since doing well to reach the 2021 Wimbledon final.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Same happened to Van Rijthoven. Bad back really since doing well at Wimbledon. Berrettini too has been almost constantly injured since doing well to reach the 2021 Wimbledon final.
Matteo cant take a trick at present gets over his injuries and then receives a wild card into Rome and gets a virus

• Sad
Reactions: Front242

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
AP,
Dont ask me again why Theim should retire okay, it is obvious, if you read my posts. Quite frankly I am over discussing it.
There will be a statement coming from his team by the end of the week according to Sky Sports Austria if you read my post above
I will be interested to hear from El Dude when he does retire ( this October ) where he is placed with his career results in line with other players
Agreed but I wasn't asking you directly but really him and his team. It's just is his time on the tour is coming to an end. Thanks @MargaretMcAleer MM.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Main draw wild cards Roland Garros. Note: Dominic Thiem didnt receive one, he will have to play qualifers if he wants to play RG
Atmane
P.H. Herbert
Mayot
Muller
Mpetshi Perrioard
A.Walton (AUS) reciprocal wild card
N.Moronode Alboran (USA) reciprocal wild card

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Main draw wild cards Roland Garros. Note: Dominic Thiem didnt receive one, he will have to play qualifers if he wants to play RG
Atmane
P.H. Herbert
Mayot
Muller
Mpetshi Perrioard
A.Walton (AUS) reciprocal wild card
N.Moronode Alboran (USA) reciprocal wild card
That's so disappointing to a future HOFr in Dominic Thiem not getting a WC

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Agree I mean Dom has made the finals at RG, seeing this is his last RG before his retirement at the end of the year
I think that's awful the didn't give him a WC! Instead of...who is this?? Mpetshi Perrioard?? That looks like an anagram of someone else's name.

• Haha
Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Agree, it is awful, I have no idea who Mpetshi Perrioard I guess I will have to 'google him' :)
Perrioard is a young Frenchman 20 yrs old, 6ft 8in and has a one handed bhand, plays right handed
Current ranking of 123, he won the Junior French Open doubles with Arthur Fils, in 2021 and reached the SFs in the same year though was defeated by Arthur Fils
In 2024 has won a few challenger titles.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Perrioard is a young Frenchman 20 yrs old, 6ft 8in and has a one handed bhand, plays right handed
Current ranking of 123, he won the Junior French Open doubles with Arthur Fils, in 2021 and reached the SFs in the same year though was defeated by Arthur Fils
In 2024 has won a few challenger titles.
Color me shocked that he's French.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
It sucks for Thiem, but I am happy that the wild card went to a younger player instead of a former champion that hasn't been good the last few years. I just hope that Perrioard makes the most of his opportunity. I'm pretty sure that if Thiem had lost in the first round (which was probably going to happen), some of you would be complaining about why that wild card didn't go to a younger player instead.

Reactions: Front242

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
It sucks for Thiem, but I am happy that the wild card went to a younger player instead of a former champion that hasn't been good the last few years. I just hope that Perrioard makes the most of his opportunity. I'm pretty sure that if Thiem had lost in the first round (which was probably going to happen), some of you would be complaining about why that wild card didn't go to a younger player instead.
I guess we could look at it either way really. Nice to throw the dog a bone by giving him one last shot at RG in the year he's retiring but equally so he could lose badly as you said. We'll know if he doesn't make it through qualifying I guess cos that's only best of 3.