2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Charley looks more natural on grass than he does on clay. He’s got some work to do but it plays into his zone, with regards to his inclination to attack..

He also won't have to work as hard! He's overhitting as if on clay! He can pull back & be just as affective w/ his touch & feel! Still trying to impress!

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
He also won't have to work as hard! He's overhitting as if on clay! He can pull back & be just as affective w/ his touch & feel! Still trying to impress!
He’s young but learning fast. Looks impressive on all surfaces, more than any twenty year old I’ve seen. He needs to learn to deflect the pressure onto his opponent. So his talk of, “If you want to be the best you have you beat the best”, in Paris, was not sensible. Rafa at that age was deflecting all the pressure onto Roger, which is a policy Rafa maintained throughout his career. Don’t talk yourself up…

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He’s young but learning fast. Looks impressive on all surfaces, more than any twenty year old I’ve seen. He needs to learn to deflect the pressure onto his opponent. So his talk of, “If you want to be the best you have you beat the best”, in Paris, was not sensible. Rafa at that age was deflecting all the pressure onto Roger, which is a policy Rafa maintained throughout his career. Don’t talk yourself up…
Whose he going to deflect pressure to, Novak??

Im tired of past generations X, Y , & Z bowing to the big 3. Carlos & Holger’s attitude where they both relish playing the best & proclaiming they want to be the best is just what the mens game needs.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Im tired of past generations X, Y , & Z bowing to the big 3. Carlos & Holger’s attitude where they both relish playing the best & proclaiming they want to be the best is just what the mens game needs.
I'm not sure what is the right psychological strategy to employ, but I agree with you that Carlos & Holger being young and brave and willing to take the tiger by the tail and not afraid to say so is impressive. I rather agree with you that a bit of bravado might be what's needed. Kissing up and conceding before the match even before it starts hasn't worked, so far.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions

How’d that work in Paris? I’m not saying he bows to anyone. I’m saying that in public he’d might have been wiser at the FO to take Rafa’s approach to big matches and talk down his chances. Rafa never bowed to anybody, despite his humility.

I love Carlos attitude as well, but those cramps weren’t good..

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm not sure what is the right psychological strategy to employ, but I agree with you that Carlos & Holger being young and brave and willing to take the tiger by the tail and not afraid to say so is impressive. I rather agree with you that a bit of bravado might be what's needed. Kissing up and conceding before the match even before it starts hasn't worked, so far.
As I said, it’s not kissing up and conceding, though unfortunately we’ve seen plenty of players do that the last twenty years, too. I don’t believe that Carlos got cramps in the semi due to Novak pushing him around the court. We’ve seen Novak fanboys here suggest that, and it’s stupid. Nor was it simply because he was facing Novak. He let the whole occasion get to him, which is fine. He’s a kid. How many matches did we see Novak withdraw from when he was a kid, feigning injury - most comically in 2006 in the FO when he said he had Rafa just where he wanted him in the match. Rafa was leading 2-0 in sets when Novak ran away. :lulz1:

He did things like that a lot when he was young. I always feel that players are more shrewd when they keep themselves under the radar, talking down their chances and watching the other guy spout cliches about beating the best.

Now this might not be Carlos style, and I actually love his swagger too, he’s a breath of fresh air in that regard - but when he faces Novak I’d like to see him manage himself better in the build up and not let the occasion overwhelm him..

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
As I said, it’s not kissing up and conceding, though unfortunately we’ve seen plenty of players do that the last twenty years, too. I don’t believe that Carlos got cramps in the semi due to Novak pushing him around the court. We’ve seen Novak fanboys here suggest that, and it’s stupid. Nor was it simply because he was facing Novak. He let the whole occasion get to him, which is fine. He’s a kid. How many matches did we see Novak withdraw from when he was a kid, feigning injury - most comically in 2006 in the FO when he said he had Rafa just where he wanted him in the match. Rafa was leading 2-0 in sets when Novak ran away. :lulz1:

He did things like that a lot when he was young. I always feel that players are more shrewd when they keep themselves under the radar, talking down their chances and watching the other guy spout cliches about beating the best.

Now this might not be Carlos style, and I actually love his swagger too, he’s a breath of fresh air in that regard - but when he faces Novak I’d like to see him manage himself better in the build up and not let the occasion overwhelm him..
Yes Bro your assumption is correct..it was Carlitos nerves that got The best of him more than the person across the net running him around. He will learn how to pure the proper electrolyte, salt elements and supplements that works with his body chemistry..

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
I just wish that Carlos would have cramped in the Tiafoe match at the US Open instead of the Djokovic match the FO. Tiafoe is an up and comer that could have really used a break like this. Djokovic has won everything there is to win, he doesn't need this break.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I just wish that Carlos would have cramped in the Tiafoe match at the US Open instead of the Djokovic match the FO. Tiafoe is an up and comer that could have really used a break like this. Djokovic has won everything there is to win, he doesn't need this break.
That’s the difference between Carlos and Francis. Carlos was playing his third five setter in a row, and he refused to lose. Francis might never have a better chance at a slam, though if he’d reached the final he might not have won. I don’t have either him or Ruud down as future champions. So they might both have lost!

Reactions: the AntiPusher

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
That’s the difference between Carlos and Francis. Carlos was playing his third five setter in a row, and he refused to lose. Francis might never have a better chance at a slam, though if he’d reached the final he might not have won. I don’t have either him or Ruud down as future champions. So they might both have lost!
I disagree. Tiafoe's game reminds me a lot of Andy Murray, and nothing like Ruud. I knew Tiafoe was special when he played Federer at the 2017 US Open. (Fed had won the AO and Wimbledon earlier that year). Like early Murray, Tiafoe has shown gradual improvement every year in his career. Tiafoe will be a threat to win at Wimbledon and the US Open for years to come. I feel like Tiafoe can win multiple slams like Murray. I never really felt that way about Ruud, Tsitsipas, Zverev, etc. They could still luck their way to one like Dominic Thiem, though.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alex de Minaur is into his 12th career final, 4th time for him in an ATP500 event defeating Rune 63 76(2), to reach the final of Queens, that is Alex 4th Top 10 win of the year.

Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In Halle SF,
Bulbik too good for Zverev, thrives on the fast surface wins in straight sets 63 75

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is not good news , Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from ATP250 Mallorca tournament, I wonder if he will be okay for Wimbledon, and Ugo Humbert has also withdrawn.

• Sad

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am going cross eyed watching 2 matches at once :)

Alcaraz played from a break down to win the 1st set 63 over Korda, by far the best set of tennis he has played in this tournament at Queens
10 Winners and 3 UFE

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I disagree. Tiafoe's game reminds me a lot of Andy Murray, and nothing like Ruud. I knew Tiafoe was special when he played Federer at the 2017 US Open. (Fed had won the AO and Wimbledon earlier that year). Like early Murray, Tiafoe has shown gradual improvement every year in his career. Tiafoe will be a threat to win at Wimbledon and the US Open for years to come. I feel like Tiafoe can win multiple slams like Murray. I never really felt that way about Ruud, Tsitsipas, Zverev, etc. They could still luck their way to one like Dominic Thiem, though.
I don’t think Tiafoe’s mind reminds me of Andy Murray. Murray was a different level in that regard. He was much more successful at the age Francis is now, and during a peak time for the big 3. Tiafoe isn’t in the greenhorn category anymore.

But time will do its thing and tell us all eventually.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was looking forward to this match up Korda v Alcaraz, I dont know if it is nerves from Korda making too many UFE and DFs to make this a contest ot his opponent at the other side of the net Alcaraz, playing the best set of tennis so far in this tournament at Queens, one thing Alcaraz needs to work on is his movement on grass,though it will come, he is a great athlete and a fast learner

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The ' net play' from Alcaraz is just flawless, this youngster at just 20 years of age, quite frankly I have run out of words! I agree with my Irish friend Kieren he is the best 20 year old I have seen....

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Did I read Korda on social media somewhere today saying he’s one of the favourites for Wimbledon?

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Did I read Korda on social media somewhere today saying he’s one of the favourites for Wimbledon?
Really, these youngsters :) he does have a good game for grass, but saying he is one of the favorites for Wimbledon this year, is far fetched, quite frankly,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.