2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Alcaraz d Korda SF in Queens 63 64
Best game fron Alcaraz so far in this tournament, he is into the final where he will play Alex de Minaur
Well done to Korda to make the SF, , he has the game to be a real threat on grass in the future
If Alcaraz wins he will return to the No 1 ranking

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh! it is always good for a player to have confidence in himself and his game, though a player has to have the results to back up a statement saying ' I'm one of the favorites at Wimbledon, counting your chickens before they hatch can bring you undone at times, yes Seb has a good game for grass, I feel it is too premature to say he is one of the favorites at Wimbledon this year.

Reactions: Kieran

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the 2nd SF at Halle,

A. Rublev d RBA 63 64 and will play A. Bublik in the final at Halle.
NOTE:
Rublev now has the chance to become the first player in history of tennis to win a ATP500 title on clay, HC and grass if he can win the final

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Oh! it is always good for a player to have confidence in himself and his game, though a player has to have the results to back up a statement saying ' I'm one of the favorites at Wimbledon, counting your chickens before they hatch can bring you undone at times, yes Seb has a good game for grass, I feel it is too premature to say he is one of the favorites at Wimbledon this year.
The graveyards of Tennis History-That-Didn't-Happen are littered with players who made bold statements they couldn't back up. And you can almost infallibly guess, soon as an ordinary player makes a statement like that, that this player will never win a slam. And not just because they have an inflated opinion of themselves, but because they're ordinary. The inflated opinion of themselves is only the laughter track that accompanies them into battle...

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I disagree. Tiafoe's game reminds me a lot of Andy Murray, and nothing like Ruud. I knew Tiafoe was special when he played Federer at the 2017 US Open. (Fed had won the AO and Wimbledon earlier that year). Like early Murray, Tiafoe has shown gradual improvement every year in his career. Tiafoe will be a threat to win at Wimbledon and the US Open for years to come. I feel like Tiafoe can win multiple slams like Murray. I never really felt that way about Ruud, Tsitsipas, Zverev, etc. They could still luck their way to one like Dominic Thiem, though.
Wow, this is quite the over-rating of Tiafoe. The "kid" is 25 already. Maybe he is a late-bloomer and has a nice little peak in his late 20s, but I'd be very very surprised if he wins multiple Slams.

And I don't see the Murray comp, especially in terms of level of play. Murray is an all-time great, closer to guys like Edberg and Becker than he is most other 2-3 Slam winners. Tiafoe is a guy who has yet to earn being called "2nd tier" (a regular top 10 guy).

Reactions: Fiero425 and Kieran

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Has there ever been a father-son pair that each won a slam? Or if Seb does win one, will he and Petr (1998 Australian Open) be the first?

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I disagree. Tiafoe's game reminds me a lot of Andy Murray, and nothing like Ruud. I knew Tiafoe was special when he played Federer at the 2017 US Open. (Fed had won the AO and Wimbledon earlier that year). Like early Murray, Tiafoe has shown gradual improvement every year in his career. Tiafoe will be a threat to win at Wimbledon and the US Open for years to come. I feel like Tiafoe can win multiple slams like Murray. I never really felt that way about Ruud, Tsitsipas, Zverev, etc. They could still luck their way to one like Dominic Thiem, though.
My LORD Tiafoe is the exact polar opposite of Sir Andy Murray.. maybe if you want to compare Frances to Roddick, then they're in the similar time dimension

• Haha
Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would believe if it was his sister saying she was a favorite at a golf tournament but not him
It's a bit too much bravado, but I'm wondering who really ARE the favorites? He makes a not especially short list. Look at the decimation of top players on grass tune-ups, so far:

Who is out:

Medvedev, Zverev, Sinner, Rune, Norrie, Dimitrov, Shapavalov, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It's a bit too much bravado, but I'm wondering who really ARE the favorites? He's makes a not especially short list. Look at the decimation of top players on grass tune-ups, so far:

Who is out:

Medvedev, Zverev, Sinner, Rune, Norrie, Dimitrov, Shapavalov, for what it's worth.
I wouldn't put too much importance on the results of the grass tune-ups. They’re a shaky predicator at best.

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Wow, this is quite the over-rating of Tiafoe. The "kid" is 25 already. Maybe he is a late-bloomer and has a nice little peak in his late 20s, but I'd be very very surprised if he wins multiple Slams.

And I don't see the Murray comp, especially in terms of level of play. Murray is an all-time great, closer to guys like Edberg and Becker than he is most other 2-3 Slam winners. Tiafoe is a guy who has yet to earn being called "2nd tier" (a regular top 10 guy).
I'm not the only one high on Frances Tiafoe: https://www.tennis365.com/tennis-news/stop-djokovic-wimbledon/

Former world No 154 Prakash Amritraj singled out a different player as the leading contender to challenge the 23-time Grand Slam winner.

“I’m going with our big guy who’s got a bunch of new confidence getting into the top 10 – Frances Tiafoe. I think he’s maybe the best player at having that sort of intangible, improv skillset – which is so needed on grass,” Amritraj said.

“He stays low to the court, he doesn’t mind having that continental grip on the forehand side, where you’re able to just feel balls on this side, maybe come up with a chip here. So many balls come up on grass that you can’t practise for, so you just have to be ready.

“He shovels that backhand well, uses the pace well and I think he really believes that he can win Wimbledon. Now he’s in the top 10, ton of confidence, won a title [in Stuttgart].”

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm not the only one high on Frances Tiafoe: https://www.tennis365.com/tennis-news/stop-djokovic-wimbledon/

Former world No 154 Prakash Amritraj singled out a different player as the leading contender to challenge the 23-time Grand Slam winner.

“I’m going with our big guy who’s got a bunch of new confidence getting into the top 10 – Frances Tiafoe. I think he’s maybe the best player at having that sort of intangible, improv skillset – which is so needed on grass,” Amritraj said.

“He stays low to the court, he doesn’t mind having that continental grip on the forehand side, where you’re able to just feel balls on this side, maybe come up with a chip here. So many balls come up on grass that you can’t practise for, so you just have to be ready.

“He shovels that backhand well, uses the pace well and I think he really believes that he can win Wimbledon. Now he’s in the top 10, ton of confidence, won a title [in Stuttgart].”
I think the issue is predicting Tiafoe will win multiple slams at his age (25) when he hasn’t even reached his first final yet.

However I agree that Tiafoe’s game is very well suited to grass & HC and he can’t be dismissed. And if he can be a late bloomer, great, but IMO the next 18 months are due or die for him to make the leap and reach a final.

Andy Murray won his 1st Slam at age 25, but c’mmon, the poor guy played in the heart of the Big3 storm, had already reached four, count ‘em, four previous Majors and was a top 4 player for close to 5 years as well as winning 8 Masters by then. Can you imagine winning 8 Masters and not having won a single Slam yet?

As to multiple slams at a latter age, Stan Wawrinka is such a freak of nature. Won his first slam approaching 29 ( and significantly was his first ever final) and then defied the odds by making 3 more finals and winning 2 more. Is he literally the only player in the Open Era to win multiple slams at age 28 or older? I would dare say Stan is the only player to do that in the last 100 years.

Had hopes for Theim after winning his 1st age 27 in his 4th Slam final but alas not to be.
Realistically Daniil Medvedev has a great shot, won the USO (first) at age 25 and would not be shocked if he won at least one more HC major.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Just turned on the final to watch Alcaraz play a long game to hold for 4-4, fighting off a couple BPs.

EDIT: Alcaraz then breaks, and will serve for the 1st set.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Di Minaur just hit a great volley at the net, which drew Carlos into the net, but he couldn't get there. But since they were both there, he slapped Alex 5 for a great shot. Nice!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This is a very fun match to watch. They're both really fast, and they get to most everything. So much great shot making.

Reactions: tented
Status
Not open for further replies.