2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I can see by the scores that Francis Tiafoe just won Stuttgart. I can't believe TC didn't play that match. It was late in the 3rd, and they were still playing the speeches in the Women's match in Holland. And TC ALWAYS shows the match when an american is playing. And this was a final! Anyway, congratulations, Francis!
Not only did he win — he saved a CP!

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
FAA has withdrawn from Halle ( left knee injury), Zverev becomes the No 9 seed and takes his spot in the draw vs Dominic Thiem

Matteo Berrettini has withdrawn from Queens and will be replaced by Dimitrov
well..Matteo was crying after losing in Stuttgatt,I can imagine the frustrations he is going through.I hope he takes a break and go away to a retreat by himself just to do some soulsearching.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
well..Matteo was crying after losing in Stuttgatt,I can imagine the frustrations he is going through.I hope he takes a break and go away to a retreat by himself just to do some soulsearching.

Back in the day, it wasn't unusual to be "done" after a serious injury! A handful kept trying, but success was limited like w/ Tommy Haas! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face:

Reactions: tossip

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes I remembered he left the court in tears after losing his match in Stuggart, I know he has been having injury woes, also he has been bombarded by Italian press, blaming his new GF for his down turn in his play and ranking, he has not been the same player for around 2 years now, when he had a great run on the grass, getting to the final at Wimbledon where he was runner up to Novak

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW official reason for Berrettini's withdrawal from Queens is 'abdominal pain'

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well done to Tallon Griekspoor in winning the title at the Libema Open ( Hertogenbosch, Netherlands) defeating Jordan Thompson 67(4) 76(3) 63 in the final!
This is Tallon's 2nd ATP title this year and he will make his debut as a Top 30 player, when he new rankings are out on Monday

• Wow
Reactions: AnonymousFan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Its weird, every year it seems someone does very well in one or two warmup grasscourt tennis, raising hopes of a dark horse candidate and then crashes early at Wimbledon.

Taylor Fritz won Eastbourne in 2019 & Feli Lopez won Queens Club & both only made it to W’s 2nd round

IIRC in 2021 De Minaur won a grasscourt ( Eastbourne? ) and then lost in the 1st round at W.

Last year Hurcatz won the grasscourt Halle and again also lost in the 1st round.

I hope this year the jinx doesn’t fall on Francis. : (

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Its weird, every year it seems someone does very well in one or two warmup grasscourt tennis, raising hopes of a dark horse candidate and then crashes early at Wimbledon.

Taylor Fritz won Eastbourne in 2019 & Feli Lopez won Queens Club & both only made it to W’s 2nd round

IIRC in 2021 De Minaur won a grasscourt (Eastbourne) and then lost in the 1st round at W.

Last year Hurkacz won the grasscourt Halle and again also lost in the 1st round.

I hope this year the jinx doesn’t fall on Francis. : (

It's become a mental thing! Talent and good physical attributes mean nothing w/ remnants of the Big 3 still around! It's amazing how Novak went into Wimbledon last season w/ limited warm-up & prep, but still destroyed the field! He's due for an upset so I won't be upset or care after taking the 1st 2 majors! We don't need that hype of a possible CYGS anyway! If he actually completed the feat, the "haters" will swarm talking about how weak the era is w/o Fedal which is BS! :fearful-face: :anxious-face-with-sweat::astonished-face::face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
After almost 2 years out, Kei Nishikori comes back with a title and defeats Michale Zheng 62 75 for the Palmas Del Mar title, enters directly into the Top 500 after one week and five wins! well done Kei!
I thought he had retired..

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
After almost 2 years out, Kei Nishikori comes back with a title and defeats Michale Zheng 62 75 for the Palmas Del Mar title, enters directly into the Top 500 after one week and five wins! well done Kei!
It says something the little Samurai can come back and win in a challengers title on his first try and Domi has been trying for over 14 months.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Lorenzo gets the break on Choinski’s second game serving. He was running down everything and getting it back with pace.

And gives the break back. ‍

After the hiccup in the first set, Musetti moves on. I can’t believe he didn’t start taking to the grass courts sooner.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnonymousFan
Status
Not open for further replies.