2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Everything is hindsight I guess, we wont know.
Very proud of the way Sinner has played today, this is kind of a bit of sweet revenge after all those BPs he had against at the AO and could not convert them Forzi Jannik
Sakkari and Garcia in a t/break for the 2nd set
I was watching the match this evening, and I don’t understand why Stefanos refuses to flatten out his shots more. Sinner was dictating inside the baseline for a large portion of the match and Tsitsipas was flailing, tennis balls flying everywhere even into the rafters at one point. Good on Sinner, but Tsitsipas was just ugly out there.

Reactions: Moxie and Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
"Eviscerated by upsets" seems a bit strong. I'm not sure that Sinner d. Tsitsipas qualifies as an upset. Plus, FAA, Medvedev, Dimitrov and De Minaur are still in, with Wawrinka as a bonus. Still a pretty strong looking field.

I just heard Sinner was 1-16 against elite players! So yeah, it was an upset! Gawd! Is this another 1 of those woman things; "I need to be right?" :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:
Reactions: nehmeth

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I was watching the match this evening, and I don’t understand why Stefanos refuses to flatten out his shots more. Sinner was dictating inside the baseline for a large portion of the match and Tsitsipas was flailing, tennis balls flying everywhere even into the rafters at one point. Good on Sinner, but Tsitsipas was just ugly out there.
I was suprised he did not flatten out his shots seeing it is an indoor event, it was a bit of sweet revenge from the AO they played earlier, when Sinner had all those BPs and failed to convert them. Sinner played well in Montipeller as well winning, he is a very efficient player, a well balanced athlete off both wings, he has a great coach in Cahill, he just has to play the Big Points in GS better,including Masters 1000.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was suprised he did not flatten out his shots seeing it is an indoor event, it was a bit of sweet revenge from the AO they played earlier, when Sinner had all those BPs and failed to convert them. Sinner played well in Montipeller as well winning, he is a very efficient player, a well balanced athlete off both wings, he has a great coach in Cahill, he just has to play the Big Points in GS better,including Masters 1000.
He’s like 2-5 in the h2h now. Good on him. He strikes the ball well off both wings and his serve is effective. My concern is that his body won’t hold up under the grueling schedule. I hope I am wrong.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
He’s like 2-5 in the h2h now. Good on him. He strikes the ball well off both wings and his serve is effective. My concern is that his body won’t hold up under the grueling schedule. I hope I am wrong.
He did have injury issues last year, sad to say, though I am confident with Cahill he will get him in the gym for strength training,and needs to put on some muscle, though I have noticed this year, his legs arent that skinny lol!, still having a slight build, it dosent hamper his power off his shots

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Holger Rune has withdrawn from the ATP250 Marseille due to the wrist injury that forced him to retire in Rotterdam

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
At present I am watching the womens s/finals in Qatar,

Results of QFs in Rotterdam,

Grigor Dimitrov d Alex De Minaur 63 36 76(6)

On court at present Medvedev v FAA , Medvedev defeats the defending champion FAA 62 64
Medvedev gets his first top 10 win in 3 months, to reach SFs in Rotterdam, plays Dimitrov in the SFs, Daniil back on top 10 if he beats Dimitrov tomorrow, an important week for him.

Last edited:

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Taking my lunch break and watching Dani’l crushing it against FAA. It almost seems that he’s taking out his last few months of frustrations on the his opponent. Maybe this might be a bad light to frame it in, but I have never seen FAA as a future world beater. I am open to being persuaded, so anyone, please opine.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Ben Fatto Sinner back to back SF defeating Wawrinka 61 63, Jannik will play the winner of Brouwer or Grieskpoor

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I had to laugh at this statement, which is true in many ways,
Italian tennis legend Nicola Pietrangeli ( twice winner of the French prior to the Open Era) is not very pleased with the way Matteo Berrettini's career is unfolding. Matteo ranked No 23, down from his career best No 6, achieved in January 2022.Pietrangeli thinks Berrettini is more interested in building his brand than focusing on tennis.Berrettini is a good guy, but he's a bit like Panatta was, fantastic from the waist up, but the legs.....................

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Taking my lunch break and watching Dani’l crushing it against FAA. It almost seems that he’s taking out his last few months of frustrations on the his opponent. Maybe this might be a bad light to frame it in, but I have never seen FAA as a future world beater. I am open to being persuaded, so anyone, please opine.
To me he's got a bit of Grigor in him: results that don't quite match the visible on-court talent. Was it you who once made the remark that Grigor's game had a lot of "moving parts" that might take longer to come together then other young players? Maybe FAA is a bit like that. I mean, if you just look at what he can do on court, he's got elite talent.

I do think that Alcaraz and Rune are the most likely to be the top players of the next decade, and that FAA and Sinner will be a step behind. But given that Rafa and Novak are now in the latter half of their 30s, and it is unlikely that Alcaraz and Rune are Big Three level dominant, I do think both FAA and Sinner are good bets to win Slams...just probably not ATG level....maybe 1-3 range.

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
To me he's got a bit of Grigor in him: results that don't quite match the visible on-court talent. Was it you who once made the remark that Grigor's game had a lot of "moving parts" that might take longer to come together then other young players? Maybe FAA is a bit like that. I mean, if you just look at what he can do on court, he's got elite talent.

I do think that Alcaraz and Rune are the most likely to be the top players of the next decade, and that FAA and Sinner will be a step behind. But given that Rafa and Novak are now in the latter half of their 30s, and it is unlikely that Alcaraz and Rune are Big Three level dominant, I do think both FAA and Sinner are good bets to win Slams...just probably not ATG level....maybe 1-3 range.

IMO, there's no comparison when it comes to the likes of Rune & Alcaraz if you bring up other top players who have solid, compact games like FAA, Fritz, & Tiafoe! They don't have the overall weapons to keep up their standings like the Big 3! Like Medvedev (for now), their rankings will fluxuate greatly! The so called elite players look rather strange to me; esp. since few have won anything w/ Daniil out of the top 10! :astonished-face: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::fearful-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
...like the Big 3!
But this is the problem, Fiero. I hope we see another guy like the Big Three, and certainly it is possible...I mean, why not? But the problem is comparing every young player to them. 99.999% will fall short. If and when someone comes along and is legitimately comparable, great. But it might not happen - now or ever. And I just don't think we should be comparing every young player to them.

In other words, let's not be disappointed if Rune and Alcaraz become Edberg/Becker types. Since Agassi retired, we haven't really had a guy like that - other than the Big Three (unless you consider Andy of that level).

Reactions: Fiero425

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Varillas gets one of the biggest wins of his career, 64 64 over Lorenzo Musetti, to reach the SFs in Buenos Aires,he will face Cam Norrie tomorrow.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Too eloquent to be me Dude. Maybe GameSetMath, Britbox or Shawnbm. I was never a fan of Dimitrov, for all the beauty of his game, I didn’t think he had the stones to be a top player. I don’t mean to be crude. I am talking about courage, the will to press through the nerves, the doubts, the fears that make it hard to run, breath and hit your shots the way you know you can. Some are born with it, like Rafa. Some come into it like Novak. All the talent in the world cannot compensate for the lack of it.

I’m watching this crop of kids waiting to see who steps up, who presses through. I don’t see that in FAA, but that doesn’t mean he won’t get there.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Too eloquent to be me Dude. Maybe GameSetMath, Britbox or Shawnbm. I was never a fan of Dimitrov, for all the beauty of his game, I didn’t think he had the stones to be a top player. I don’t mean to be crude. I am talking about courage, the will to press through the nerves, the doubts, the fears that make it hard to run, breath and hit your shots the way you know you can. Some are born with it, like Rafa. Some come into it like Novak. All the talent in the world cannot compensate for the lack of it.

I’m watching this crop of kids waiting to see who steps up, who presses through. I don’t see that in FAA, but that doesn’t mean he won’t get there.
To me Dimitrov was 'over hyped' and never lived up to his so called potential, agree with your thoughts I am not a fan
FAA is still young and has room for improvement, some players develop at their own pace.,others faster, I am holding judgement at present, though I have to say players like Alcaraz ' are special'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.