2023 ATP General News

Status
Not open for further replies.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Jack Sock, a former No 8, 4 time major doubles champion,Olympics gold medalist, announced he is retiring from professional tennis at this year's US Open, he received a doubles wild card , he is teaming up with John Isner, who is retiring as well. Jack Sock is now a professional pickle ball player.
Donald Young ( remember him) has also signed up to play Professional Pickleball.
@kskate2 and I will not be founding PickleballFrontier.com …

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Jack Sock, a former No 8, 4 time major doubles champion,Olympics gold medalist, announced he is retiring from professional tennis at this year's US Open, he received a doubles wild card , he is teaming up with John Isner, who is retiring as well. Jack Sock is now a professional pickle ball player.
Really Strange why he wouldn't just become a professional doubles player..I guess he feels he will be great at pickleball.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

This is HUGE news! As everyone here in the forums know that I live close by Indian Wells (only 1 hour drive). If Ellison will sell the ownership of the tournament, then there's a chance it will be move to a different time or even a different venue!

By the way, the players have voted Indian Wells tournament as the best tournament in the whole tour!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

This is HUGE news! As everyone here in the forums know that I live close by Indian Wells (only 1 hour drive). If Ellison will sell the ownership of the tournament, then there's a chance it will be move to a different time or even a different venue!

By the way, the players have voted Indian Wells tournament as the best tournament in the whole tour!

There were rumors a little while ago that Ellison was thinking of selling? hopefully if he does sell, the new owner will keep it at Indian Wells, seeing it has been voted by the players as the 'best tournament on tour' as you know Rafa loved playing at IW.and stayed at Ellison's house when he competed at IW.

Reactions: AnonymousFan

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Players love Indian Wells since 2010 because the atmosphere off the court has been great! In addition, all players are treated nicely by the staff and it is a big place to walk around the venue. Finally, while fans appreciate the tennis, they are not as obnoxious or loud as other fans in other tournaments.

The only real "problem" that Indian Wells has is that the courts are somewhat dry and slow. Part of it is the weather and big part of it is the tennis balls they used during matches. Because it is already dry and windy at Indian Wells, then the tournament organizers should make the courts less dry (faster) and make the tennis balls lighter instead of heavier.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Players love Indian Wells since 2010 because the atmosphere off the court has been great! In addition, all players are treated nicely by the staff and it is a big place to walk around the venue. Finally, while fans appreciate the tennis, they are not as obnoxious or loud as other fans in other tournaments.

The only real "problem" that Indian Wells has is that the courts are somewhat dry and slow. Part of it is the weather and big part of it is the tennis balls they used during matches. Because it is already dry and windy at Indian Wells, then the tournament organizers should make the courts less dry (faster) and make the tennis balls lighter instead of heavier.
I know Ellison loves Rafa, and I’ve wondered if he would get bored of the tournament once Rafa retires. It’s not as if Ellison needs the money; he’s one of the richest men in the world. He would only sell it if he didn’t care about it anymore. And remember he bought it to prevent it from going overseas in the first place. Japan, I think? So this could mean it might leave the country, or at least Indian Wells.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know Ellison loves Rafa, and I’ve wondered if he would get bored of the tournament once Rafa retires. It’s not as if Ellison needs the money; he’s one of the richest men in the world. He would only sell it if he didn’t care about it anymore. And remember he bought it to prevent it from going overseas in the first place. Japan, I think? So this could mean it might leave the country, or at least Indian Wells.
I do not see leaving the country, but I can see it leaving Indian Wells or Southern California.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I do not see leaving the country, but I can see it leaving Indian Wells or Southern California.
If it left Indian Wells, where would it go? Everyone is in North America. There's already a HC tournament in Mexico. LA? Las Vegas?

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
If it left Indian Wells, where would it go? Everyone is in North America. There's already a HC tournament in Mexico. LA? Las Vegas?
They could move BNP Paribas to the new tennis complex being built in Charlotte, and leave the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati (like it's supposed to be).

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

It's probably more to do w/ California being one of the most difficult states to get anything done! Ellison's worked tirelessly to cultivate, expand, & make IW's the best player friendly event locale! He was trying to get more land to set up more courts and facilities, I can only imagine the headaches this man had dealing w/ rules, regulations, jurisdictions, etc.! It makes me think of Bill Mahar's nightmare of getting solar power for his wood shed on his own property! It took years and the approval, inspection, & oversight of 13 people in the local California city & county! Neither Mahar or Ellison are Spring chickens! :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They could move BNP Paribas to the new tennis complex being built in Charlotte, and leave the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati (like it's supposed to be).
Not a terrible idea, but is NC really suited to outdoor tennis in March? A bit chilly. I do like the idea of keeping the Cincy tournament in the summer.

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
Not a terrible idea, but is NC really suited to outdoor tennis in March? A bit chilly. I do like the idea of keeping the Cincy tournament in the summer.
They could move the tournament to the fall and put the Shanghai Masters in March. There shouldn't be a United States tournament in early March, lol.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If the event will be move somewhere else, then it will stay close to Miami meaning it will be either in the Midwest or it will be in Latin America. It is why I do not see Shanghai moving to replace Indian Wells in March.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
If the event will be move somewhere else, then it will stay close to Miami meaning it will be either in the Midwest or it will be in Latin America. It is why I do not see Shanghai moving to replace Indian Wells in March.
Agreed. I could see it moving to any state which would permit the event at that time of year, but it has been paired with Miami (“the sunshine double”) for so long, I don’t see that changing, if only for logistical reasons.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
There were rumors a little while ago that Ellison was thinking of selling? hopefully if he does sell, the new owner will keep it at Indian Wells, seeing it has been voted by the players as the 'best tournament on tour' as you know Rafa loved playing at IW.and stayed at Ellison's house when he competed at IW.
Jeez. Now Rafa is gonna be force to play IW during his farewell tour ..darn it

Reactions: tented

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Another to keep in mind, if the tournament will be move to a different time but same venue, fans will not attend the tournament as much compared to when the event is held in March.

Indian Wells is chilly during the Fall season. It is a desert place after all. Some fans go to Indian Wells in March because they want to go to a warmer event/place. If the tournament moves to the Fall season, those same fans will not go to the same tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.