2020 French Open Final: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mile

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think beating was welcome, to raise again. Djoker will play now ATP Vienna.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You are indulging in strawman argument. I completely agree with you sport is not the same as art. At the end of the day, it does not matter whether one wins ugly or beautifully. What matters is whether you won or not. But, that is not my point at all.

When anyone loses, there are always multiple factors that contributes to the loss. Most importantly how much you contributed to your own loss and how much the opponent did. Rafa rarely contributes heavily to his own losses.

Even more basic question is that did you give your all to the match? Most often Rafa did even in his losses. The same cannot be said of Fed or Nole.

Also, I am not referring to today's match or a single match in particular. I am saying this as a general statement across the career for all three of them, including their matches against other NB3 players.
@Kieran responded to you more generously than I did. And while he did say that there was a "tinge" of backhand compliment, he calls out the part that I recognize that you meant to say, as a compliment, that "Rafa rarely contributes heavily to his own losses." Fair point. As as Fed man, I know it's not easy for you to compliment Nadal, so I'll take it for what it is, and retract any other.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The fact is, Kieran is over-romanticizing what are ultimately some nitty-gritty details that work in Nadal’s favor. Nadal has had the “will to win” at Wimbledon just as he has Roland Garros, but he has only won Wimbledon twice. Why? Because his game is best suited for clay. And to his credit, he has taken full advantage of it. He has also expanded his game off of his preferred surface more than any 1 of the Big 3 to challenge the others. You can’t fault him for that.

At the same time, it’s hard not to point out that Nadal was trying very hard against Thiem at the Australian Open but he still lost the match. Off of clay, his game is often insufficient to carry him to victory even with the mental strengths he clearly possesses.
Read your own post: "Only" won Wimbledon two times? That's a career, right there. How can you even write that with a straight face? If you don't like Kieran waxing poetic about Nadal's will to win, that's on you. Firstly, Kieran writes very well, and secondly he's not wrong about what he says. As to the "nitty-gritty details...," that Nadal has ever lost a match or a Major? Happens to all of them. It just happens less to Rafa. He's won 20 Majors in 60 tries. Better win percentage than either Roger or Novak.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Read your own post: "Only" won Wimbledon two times? That's a career, right there. How can you even write that with a straight face? If you don't like Kieran waxing poetic about Nadal's will to win, that's on you. Firstly, Kieran writes very well, and secondly he's not wrong about what he says. As to the "nitty-gritty details...," that Nadal has ever lost a match or a Major? Happens to all of them. It just happens less to Rafa. He's won 20 Majors in 60 tries. Better win percentage than either Roger or Novak.

Majors Titles :
Nadal 20 of 60 33.3 %
Djokovic 17 of 62 27.4%
Federer 20 of 79 25.3%

Majors singles victories/defeats:
Nadal matches 282-39 88 %
Djokovic matches 296-45 87 %
Federer matches 352-69 86%

Majors head to head
Rafa vs Federer 10-4
Rafa vs Djokovic 10-6
Djokovic vs Federer 11-6

Overall head to head Majors of the Big 3:
Rafa 20 of 30 66 %
Djokovic 17 of 33 51%
Federer 12 of 31 38%

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy22

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions

Its all about his FO stats, beside that, mediocre.
All about his more or less natural ability to run for hours like a rabbit from left to right and right to left and forth and back and ...........
Like no one else.
His biggest accomplishment is that he made the absolute maximum out of this.
I would put my Hat off, if I wear one, unfortunately I don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Comparing overall to the other two, yes.

Compared to Novak winning only three US Opens, Rafa winning four US Opens in mediocre? You really are a fan, eh?
:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reactions: Moxie

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW a question I was going to ask yesterday who picked Rafa to win in 3 sets? I was going to but decided to say in 4 just to be on the safe side:)

Carol, and a good call too. The bigger surprise for me is that more people picked Novak to win, than Rafa. I gave Novak a shot, but my prediction was Rafa in four...

Reactions: Carol

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Obviously only winning 4 USO’s is mediocre.

This his second best accomplishment , looking overall in comparison to the other two, mediocre .
He would be one of many, if RG had a slightly faster surface.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Compared to Novak winning only three US Opens, Rafa winning four US Opens in mediocre? You really are a fan, eh?
:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Include Wimby and Melbourne poetry Nadalboy,

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Include all slams in it, son. 20. Out of 60 entered. And no disqualifications... :)

It really is sad that you would take pride in Djokovic getting disqualified and Nadal not. Plus, the punishment in that case was too harsh for the crime.

• Haha
Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It really is sad that you would take pride in Djokovic getting disqualified and Nadal not. Plus, the punishment in that case was too harsh for the crime.

It certainly wasn't. The rule is there to protect courtside officials and ballkids from harm, and so it can only be applied the way it was...

Reactions: Nadalfan2013

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Include all slams in it, son. 20. Out of 60 entered. And no disqualifications... :)

The point was comparison of achievement outside of this one place where his running mostly counts!
got it?
He is nothing without RG compared to the Two!

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It certainly wasn't. The rule is there to protect courtside officials and ballkids from harm, and so it can only be applied the way it was...

Obviously that is the purpose of the rule, but I think a 3-set penalty for something accidental on a first-time offense is a bit harsh. I don’t see how what Djokovic did compares to Nalbandian’s incident at Queens, which was far worse.

Reactions: Bonaca

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Obviously that is the purpose of the rule, but I think a 3-set penalty for something accidental on a first-time offense is a bit harsh. I don’t see how what Djokovic did compares to Nalbandian’s incident at Queens, which was far worse.

It was the same as Nalbandian in the sense that it contravened a rule that's there to protect people. Henman was likewise disqualified from Wimbledon for something similar. It's a simple rule and it has to be enforced so that players won't think they can barter their way out of trouble..

Nadalfan2013

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The point was comparison of achievement outside of this one place where his running mostly counts!
got it?
He is nothing without RG compared to the Two!

Djokovic has won 9 of his slams outside of his favorite AO. GOATdal has won 7 of his slams outside of his favorite RG just like Sampras won 7 of his slams outside of his favorite WB. Not a big difference so GOATdal being "nothing" without RG is a very clueless comment from you.

At the end of the day it's 20 > 17 > 14. :clap:

GOATdal is 20-17 in slam titles and 10-6 in slam h2h over Djokovic, it's not even close.

The final ranking will be: Goldal > Silverer > Bronzokovic. :bye: