Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Thiem in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
what a slayer of a backhand! Dominic take it this time mate. Stressing me out!

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
UGHDLJS:GF:AAAH!

That's a tough forehand miss off the return on match point.

AND OH MY GOD! No call. Rafa having to challenge to get the right call there is ridiculous. The commentator mentioned WHAT IF HE DIDN'T have a challenge. Oy.
The other commentator making the point on the first match point, Thiem should have gone inside out. 98% chance he makes that one. Ouch.

Beautiful pass to get back to match point though. And even though he missed the first serve, Thiem takes it with a Nadal forehand into the top of the net. And with Nadal as the current number 1, that's a win over the world number 1.

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
That's a tough fought match from Thiem. I mean. He felt the pressure and wavered. A lot of credit to Rafa on that though. Not just Rafa's rep getting to Thiem. But Rafa living up to his rep. Getting that break back was fantastic. Just played a great game. Thiem didn't serve great.

But. I think Brad Stine is right that Thiem outplayed Rafa the whole match. Rafa never looked like the dominant better player. He looked like himself for all of it. Played well. But Thiem out hit him. Missed a little less maybe ( I don't know the UFE count). But for Thiem to come back from a break down in both of the first two sets that I missed (Thiem just mentioned it) and then to hold to force the tiebreak after being broken here in the fourth is truly phenomenal. Rafa definitely wasn't perfect. But Thiem gets a lot of credit for that. Rafa didn't serve brilliantly if he was broken 3 times. But he did serve brilliantly for much of the match that I saw. But if he wasn't perfect, Thiem again get credit for that. Just like Rafa gets credit from his rep. If Thiem is handling your serve well, you're going to go for more and miss it more. I know I saw him miss some close ones. We saw some close challenges.

I'm so proud of him. He's really persevered over the years. Just keeps getting better. He's been close for a couple years and hasn't let not getting over the line allow him to drop off. Which is partially because he's just that much better than most of the rest of the tour. But we've seen a number of guys not be able to keep up their level after rising right up to the door and not being able to walk through it. He's kept it up mentally. Continues to believe in himself despite a couple RG final drubbing from Rafa.

Brought in Muster at the start of this tournament. It ended quickly. But he hasn't let it bother him. Sticking with Massu. And is through to his first AO semifinal. Great night for him. New achievement in his career. Perhaps the start of a new phase in his career.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That's a tough fought match from Thiem. I mean. He felt the pressure and wavered. A lot of credit to Rafa on that though. Not just Rafa's rep getting to Thiem. But Rafa living up to his rep. Getting that break back was fantastic. Just played a great game. Thiem didn't serve great.

But. I think Brad Stine is right that Thiem outplayed Rafa the whole match. Rafa never looked like the dominant better player. He looked like himself for all of it. Played well. But Thiem out hit him. Missed a little less maybe ( I don't know the UFE count). But for Thiem to come back from a break down in both of the first two sets that I missed (Thiem just mentioned it) and then to hold to force the tiebreak after being broken here in the fourth is truly phenomenal. Rafa definitely wasn't perfect. But Thiem gets a lot of credit for that. Rafa didn't serve brilliantly if he was broken 3 times. But he did serve brilliantly for much of the match that I saw. But if he wasn't perfect, Thiem again get credit for that. Just like Rafa gets credit from his rep. If Thiem is handling your serve well, you're going to go for more and miss it more. I know I saw him miss some close ones. We saw some close challenges.

I'm so proud of him. He's really persevered over the years. Just keeps getting better. He's been close for a couple years and hasn't let not getting over the line allow him to drop off. Which is partially because he's just that much better than most of the rest of the tour. But we've seen a number of guys not be able to keep up their level after rising right up to the door and not being able to walk through it. He's kept it up mentally. Continues to believe in himself despite a couple RG final drubbing from Rafa.

Brought in Muster at the start of this tournament. It ended quickly. But he hasn't let it bother him. Sticking with Massu. And is through to his first AO semifinal. Great night for him. New achievement in his career. Perhaps the start of a new phase in his career.

stop with the bs, outplayed Rafa the whole match? what match were you watching? there was pretty much nothing to separate them and only 3 tiebreaks did....and a few net cords went Thiems way on big points. Thiems deserves the win, but don't make it like he smashed Rafa. Can't stand hyperbole crap from idiot fans who hype up without regard to facts.