Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Thiem in five sets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Couldn't watch but Nadal's inability to serve out sets was bound to catch up to him eventually. I reckon winning that first set would have changed things considerably. To me, it's a bit easy to tell when Rafa is going to make a final at a major after watching him all these years. Predicted he wouldn't here, especially with that draw. For him, nothing matters until the clay season now.

Reactions: 10isfan and Bonaca

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
not sure I've ever seen Rafa this discombobulated before. Is this a sands of time thing? I remember when Roger started getting like this
Depending on the surface, to beat Nadal the opponent has to play well and match him physically. When Djokovic improved on his fitness in 2011, Nadal was looking rattled because Djokovic was able to force him to play extra shots.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
great win from Dominator, really happy for him, the change of the guards's finally coming

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
It's strange that, despite Rafa being Rafa and having had the easier time to the quarters, other than maybe Djokovic, you felt that Thiem could definitely win this match. If it had been another of the young guns, I'm not sure I'd have felt that way. Other than Medvedev at the moment. I won't say I knew he would. I would not have said he was the favorite just because of the seeds and Rafa having just won the US Open. BUT. I was aware that Rafa has never defended a final appearance here before. Unless you count 2012 and 2014 back to back finals where he didn't play in 2013. But mostly, we saw Goffin and Alex de Minaur beat him in the ATP cup. And I appreciated one of the commentators on my feed mentioning that Goffin used the forehand down the line really well and de Minaur learned from that and used it really well to beat Rafa. And Thiem used it well tonight. I think at the time he was saying that Thiem needed to get back to it. Not sure. I can't say I noticed that in the ATP cup matches because I didn't see much of those. Just bits and pieces while running around work. Even with that though. You know Rafa could have come out and won it. But. I wasn't worried, like I so often am, that Rafa was going to be able to come out and blitz Thiem. Even though he hasn't looked perfect this week or in Australia overall. Lost 2 sets to bolt. Lost a tiebreak to Fritz. I didn't see the Bolt match, though I saw the score when he was down 2 sets to 1. And I've missed much of most of his matches. But I've seen large chunks of the other 3. And felt good about them. And he won a set at the French final last year. That US Open epic did play into my estimation of what this one could be. And Thiem's IW win last year said a lot. Thiem wanted this match. And winning 3 tiebreaks means he could have EASILY lost it in 4 sets or 3 sets. But he eeked this one out, as all of the Big 3 have had to do over the years and Fed has had to do twice this week.

I won't say that I thought Rafa was the least likely of the big 3 to make the semis. I definitely thought it'd be Fed. And then he nearly proved me right against Millman and Sandgren. And I honestly didn't feel like he deserved to win the Sandgren match. And obviously he got more than a little lucky in both. They both struggled to close it out and he doesn't have that problem against people not named Djokovic or Nadal.

But I did think Nadal was vulnerable to not make the final. Because like I said, he's never defended a final here before. And at first because I thought Medvedev would get the better of him this time if they met each other. But Wawrinka dealt with Medvedev wonderfully. And Rafa was always gonna have to get by Thiem. Still. Thiem had to execute and he did fantastically. Really proud of him. Hoping he can back it up against Zverev.

Reactions: Fiero425

tenisplayrla08

Major Winner
Reactions
stop with the bs, outplayed Rafa the whole match? what match were you watching? there was pretty much nothing to separate them and only 3 tiebreaks did....and a few net cords went Thiems way on big points. Thiems deserves the win, but don't make it like he smashed Rafa. Can't stand hyperbole crap from idiot fans who hype up without regard to facts.

I admitted I didn't watch the whole match. I'm not hyping up anything. And certainly not without regard to facts. Facts are my foundation. I search for them. I don't like writing anything without them. And my posts are always long winded because of it. And I didn't say it as if Thiem SMASHED Rafa or even OUTPLAYED Rafa the WHOLE match. I said I agree with the commentator that Thiem outplayed Rafa the whole match. Because I didn't see the first two sets, I shouldn't have said it. So I'll give you that. Outplayed and smashed/destroyed/crushed are two very different things. I'm one of the most measured posters on this site. I won't say I've never used hyperbole. But I don't make a habit of it. And quite frankly you can f$@& right off.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I thought Thiem was consistent through out the match which is really why he won. Some of his typical flaws showed up such as serve inconsistency, and he almost botched that 4th set close. Thiem’s ground game is very lethal, and if he can really figure out a way to gain some consistency and potency on his serve he would definitely not be hot and cold from tournament to tournament. I like his chances here and maybe at the French now that he has beaten Rafa at a slam. He played a good convincing match.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Couldn't watch but Nadal's inability to serve out sets was bound to catch up to him eventually. I reckon winning that first set would have changed things considerably. To me, it's a bit easy to tell when Rafa is going to make a final at a major after watching him all these years. Predicted he wouldn't here, especially with that draw. For him, nothing matters until the clay season now.
Imagine what would happen with this draw at the FO? It’s possible. What would you predict ?

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Imagine what would happen with this draw at the FO? It’s possible. What would you predict ?
RG is a different surface. We can predict until the cows come home, but until someone actually defeats him there, it's just speculation. Only 2 people have done it. Domi is getting closer having won a set last year, but no one has defeated him in a 5th set there yet. We'll see how this year pans out.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
RG is a different surface. We can predict until the cows come home, but until someone actually defeats him there, it's just speculation. Only 2 people have done it. Domi is getting closer having won a set last year, but no one has defeated him in a 5th set there yet. We'll see how this year pans out.
Do you really think he would win FO with this exactly draw????

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Now it’s a much bigger stake for Novak. He can reach no 17 and get the no 1 back. Wow

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Do you really think he would win FO with this exactly draw????
He's called the K.O.C. for a reason. As he fails to win the other slams and the field catches up to him, he'll see RG as his last chance at winning majors. I think he will try his best to guard that court w/ his life.

Reactions: 10isfan

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is a good step forward for Thiem. I think out of everyone who could sneak into win a slam; he or Medvedev are the ones to do it. I hope Thiem can sneak in a slam at least.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Actually losing to Thiem here was the worst thing that could have happened to Nadal regarding RG. Of course, still the big favorite there, but Thiem was the one guy who had game to beat him on clay, and now he knows he can beat him on majors. Just one more step on the ladder...

Reactions: Federberg

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
He's called the K.O.C. for a reason. As he fails to win the other slams and the field catches up to him, he'll see RG as his last chance at winning majors. I think he will try his best to guard that court w/ his life.
No doubt about that. But what do you think?
Back to back : Thiem- Wawrinka/Medvedev or Zverev - Novak.

Bonaca

Major Winner
Reactions
Actually losing to Thiem here was the worst thing that could have happened to Nadal regarding RG. Of course, still the big favorite there, but Thiem was the one guy who had game to beat him on clay, and now he knows he can beat him on majors. Just one more step on the ladder...
But to be honest: Thiem is peaking right now, as he was at FO last year. Nadal wasn’t at his best today so wasn’t Novak in Paris under the special conditions. Thiem won but that were hard fights, and le loses both times against Nadal in Paris.
So what would be the result if Nadal played near his best? Would US Open Nadal let this result from today happen?
My answer is no!

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
No doubt about that. But what do you think?
Back to back : Thiem- Wawrinka/Medvedev or Zverev - Novak.
It would be tough for sure, but not impossible. I still stand by my original post. Until we see a loss there, it's all speculation.

Reactions: Bonaca

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think this match really sets the stakes for both Federer and Djokovic in their match. I think Novak will get a big fight from Federer with the prospect of Nadal no longer being in the draw.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
All I saw tonight was that booty and blond highlights.
How u doin..

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Not the result I wanted, but I'm happy for Thiem. I've always liked him. I think he'll make the final, and then it will be interesting (hopefully).

Last edited:
Reactions: Moxie