Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Collins in 3

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't like this rule. Whatever condition they start the match with should be condition it ends with. Don't close the roof in the middle. If you're going to close it at all, do it before the match starts.

Agreed, they should have foreseen that the heat might be an issue and done it before the match.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I don't like this rule. Whatever condition they start the match with should be condition it ends with. Don't close the roof in the middle. If you're going to close it at all, do it before the match starts.
What if it rains? ;)

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
What if it rains?
Rain is different. The roof was put on because of the rain. In the last 10 years or so, they've adopted these rules of closing the roof because of the heat. All the previous players who played Aus had to learn to play in these conditions. It's part of coming to this tournament.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Goodness sake Petra this is your 5th BP......thank you back on serve 3 all

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Rain is different. The roof was put on because of the rain. In the last 10 years or so, they've adopted these rules of closing the roof because of the heat. All the previous players who played Aus had to learn to play in these conditions. It's part of coming to this tournament.
Forgot the wink emoji. I edited my previous message.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Closing the roof,as per Head Tournament Ref who came down on court and took court temp etc.Collins of course is not happy.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Closing the roof for heat.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Advantage Petra. And if the heat stays this way, Adv Novak on the men's side.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Closing the roof,as per Head Tournament Ref who came down on court and took court temp etc.Collins of course is not happy.
Why do you say Collins not happy? Petra better indoors?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Amazing. The Wimbledon roof takes like 45 minutes to close then acclimatize.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Why do you say Collins not happy? Petra better indoors?

Of course it is a clear advantage for Petra,with her great indoor record,Collins went to the umpire when the decision was made,she indicated she was okay.AO have a 1-5 Heat Stress when it hits 5 the roof closes.The roof now will stay closed for the duration of the match,temp now is 38c

Reactions: Moxie

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Petra now has an advantage because she is very good indoors..

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Of course it is a clear advantage for Petra,with her great indoor record,Collins went to the umpire when the decision was made,she indicated she was okay.AO have a 1-5 Heat Stress when it hits 5 the roof closes.The roof now will stay closed for the duration of the match,temp now is 38c
Here's where I don't understand some of the rules about the roof. People call me self-interested as a Nadal fan, but if it's that quick to open/close the roof, and the temperature cooled off, why couldn't they re-open it, if conditions cooled? It is an outdoor tournament, after all. I don't get this rule that once it's closed, that's it. I'm not convinced by the logic of it.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Here's where I don't understand some of the rules about the roof. People call me self-interested as a Nadal fan, but if it's that quick to open/close the roof, and the temperature cooled off, why couldn't they re-open it, if conditions cooled? It is an outdoor tournament, after all. I don't get this rule that once it's closed, that's it. I'm not convinced by the logic of it.
Not only that, but as you state it's an outdoor tournament. Some people come down early and train in Aus to get ready for the conditions. Nobody trains for an indoor tournament in Melbourne.

Reactions: Moxie

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Petra is an excellent indoor player. Has a great indoor record, look it up if you need clarification.
thanks kskate2, no need. i was merely wondering how you came to that decision. hey we're sweltering here do u mind if i adopt a macca's frappe add for my avatar? i live near one.

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This TB has to mean more to Collins.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

From what I understand about this new Heat Policy at the AO,they moniter the Heat Stress Thermometer on every match,they have said for this match it will stay closed for the duration of this match.If lets say the air temp,courtside temp cools down at the end of this match and the Heat Stress is lower than 5.they will reopen the roof.I know your thinking about Rafa's match later,but we are on daylight saving here in Oz and this is the heat of the day,Rafa's match wont start for another 4 hours yet:)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Amazing point for Kvitova there.