2017 Australian Open Final: FEDAL XXXV

Who will win the title?

• Total voters

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I just re-watched the fifth set. OMG. Roger's level was amazing. Rafa was not playing poorly at all - very well, actually. But Roger just overwhelmed and played his best. Such a beautiful set, the last three games, in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2a0i4MMpUY

Frode789

Club Member
Reactions
Website
www.citiesskylines-nation.com
Yeah he played fantastic in that set. So many break points, gave Nadal such a hard time on every serve game he had. So many good winners to chose from, but one that many might have missed; loved the backhand return winner Federer strikes on Nadal's first serve to give him the break to 5-3 in the 5th set. Great angle on that backhand return. And at such a crucial point as well.

@ 11.50 in the above video.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This is how Roger reacted when Nishi got a MTO

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/videos/Roger_Federer/40036/nishikori-asks-mto-and-federer-gets-angry/

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Frode789 said:
Yeah he played fantastic in that set. So many break points, gave Nadal such a hard time on every serve game he had. So many good winners to chose from, but one that many might have missed; loved the backhand return winner Federer strikes on Nadal's first serve to give him the break to 5-3 in the 5th set. Great angle on that backhand return. And at such a crucial point as well.

@ 11.50 in the above video.

That was an unreal backhand return alright.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/videos/Roger_Federer/40036/nishikori-asks-mto-and-federer-gets-angry/

Oh shut up, Carol. 35 years old, 3 x 5 set matches AND he had a known adductor injury since the second round match against Rubin. Btw, it's not like Roger ran away with the set after the MTO. He actually lost serve right afterwards or have you forgotten already?! Now if he'd raced to 6-1 you might have a case but don't be dense, I know it's hard not to but at least try for once. He fell behind right away and had to work extremely hard from 3-1 down to win the match. Even Pat classless Cash had to moan about it. Read Federer's own thoughts on it.

"My leg has been hurting me since the [Noah] Rubin match," Federer told reporters in his post-final press conference. "I was happy that I was able to navigate through the pain. For some reason, against Stan I had it from the start on both sides of the groin … I felt my quad midway through the second set already, and the groin started to hurt midway through the third set."

"I also think we shouldn't be using these rules or abusing the system. I think I've led the way for 20 years. So I think to be critical there is exaggerating. I'm the last guy to call a medical timeout. I don't know what he's talking about."

Now, if you want we can list all of Nadal's MTOs during his career and, believe me, they were a lot shadier than this, as his movement was 100% the same before and after. This was a perfectly acceptable one given all the above, 6 months off, 35 years old, 3 x 5 set matches and pain in his adductor/groin since round 2. Maybe you're too blind to have noticed how bad his movement was against Stan from set 3 onwards? I guess losing 6-1 didn't ring any alarm bells for you either after he won the first 2 routinely? Frankly, he was moving so badly from set 3 onwards I've no idea how he won but you'd want to be blind to not have noticed he was not ok. But we've established that already. Seems you are blind. You only see what your hatred wants you to see.

The players vote for the sportsmanship award. Yes, the players. Guess who they voted more than any other player? Yes, Federer. If they thought he was a cheat like you, he wouldn't get that award year after year and guess what else, your hero Nadal only got voted once. Guess they don't appreciate his gamesmanship one bit actually. Stalling, toweling off after aces, making his opponents wait constantly, even before the match has started, not playing to the server's pace and, yes, dodgy MTOs. Actual dodgy ones. Dwell on that for a moment. Nadal the most fair player of them all ( :cover ) who the players voted a whole one time in his career, probably out of sympathy more than anything else 'cos 2010 ironically was one his worst years for abuse of the system but was the year he won it :cover Wimbledon 2010: MTOs against Haase and Petzschner both times while trailing 2 sets to 1 and before his opponent served. What a classy guy. The Spanish bull indeed and lots of it.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:

Oh shut up, Carol. 35 years old, 3 x 5 set matches AND he had a known adductor injury since the second round match against Rubin. Btw, it's not like Roger ran away with the set after the MTO. He actually lost serve right afterwards or have you forgotten already?! Now if he'd raced to 6-1 you might have a case but don't be dense, I know it's hard not to but at least try for once. He fell behind right away and had to work extremely hard from 3-1 down to win the match. Even Pat classless Cash had to moan about it. Read Federer's own thoughts on it.

"My leg has been hurting me since the [Noah] Rubin match," Federer told reporters in his post-final press conference. "I was happy that I was able to navigate through the pain. For some reason, against Stan I had it from the start on both sides of the groin … I felt my quad midway through the second set already, and the groin started to hurt midway through the third set."

"I also think we shouldn't be using these rules or abusing the system. I think I've led the way for 20 years. So I think to be critical there is exaggerating. I'm the last guy to call a medical timeout. I don't know what he's talking about."

Now, if you want we can list all of Nadal's MTOs during his career and, believe me, they were a lot shadier than this, as his movement was 100% the same before and after. This was a perfectly acceptable one given all the above, 6 months off, 35 years old, 3 x 5 set matches and pain in his adductor/groin since round 2. Maybe you're too blind to have noticed how bad his movement was against Stan from set 3 onwards? I guess losing 6-1 didn't ring any alarm bells for you either after he won the first 2 routinely? Frankly, he was moving so badly from set 3 onwards I've no idea how he won but you'd want to be blind to not have noticed he was not ok. But we've established that already. Seems you are blind. You only see what your hatred wants you to see.

The players vote for the sportsmanship award. Yes, the players. Guess who they voted more than any other player? Yes, Federer. If they thought he was a cheat like you, he wouldn't get that award year after year and guess what else, your hero Nadal only got voted once. Guess they don't appreciate his gamesmanship one bit actually. Stalling, toweling off after aces, making his opponents wait constantly, even before the match has started, not playing to the server's pace and, yes, dodgy MTOs. Actual dodgy ones. Dwell on that for a moment. Nadal the most fair player of them all ( :cover ) who the players voted a whole one time in his career, probably out of sympathy more than anything else 'cos 2010 ironically was one his worst years for abuse of the system but was the year he won it :cover Wimbledon 2010: MTOs against Haase and Petzschner both times while trailing 2 sets to 1 and before his opponent served. What a classy guy. The Spanish bull indeed and lots of it.

Buddy, you really have long ago talked yourself into a corner with regards to dodgy MTO's, and also players returning from long lay offs and playing great tennis immediately, to win slams. It's happened here with federer too. You should enjoy the moment while it lasts, and not throw too many stones that might bounce back and skull you. Stick to talking about the backhand, in other words. You're highly quotable, otherwise...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
I got home late after a good gym session only to be subjected to her drivel. I mean we can all just read the nonsense and move on or we can reply. After all, this is a forum for discussion. Really though, such a clueless blind fan to be moaning about a MTO which didn't even help him. He looked like he was going to lose the match ffs but she's conveniently forgotten and only her hatred is stopping her from seeing straight.

Btw, French Open 2011...first set and getting his ass handed to him while trailing 5-1 or 5-2 maybe (can't quite recall), guess who used some dirty tricks to slow down his old friend Roger and went on to win the set? Yes, this is an example of a dodgy MTO by a guy deliberately cheating to get one up on his opponent while losing. Sadly, it worked but the fans haven't forgotten. No sir. We haven't.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
I got home late after a good gym session only to be subjected to her drivel. I mean we can all just read the nonsense and move on or we can reply. After all, this is a forum for discussion. Really though, such a clueless blind fan to be moaning about an MTO which didn't even help him. He looked like he was going to lose the match ffs but she's conveniently forgotten and only her hatred is stopping her from seeing straight.

He admitted the MTO against Stan was more of a mental thing, to talk to somebody, "even if it's just the physio." Now I've no problem with this, and I have no issue if federer also complained about Nishi taking one. These things are part of the competition, and it's up to players to complain if they're being done, and up to umpires to enforce the rules. But we always as fans have to be consistent in our criticisms. You're not less a fan, in other words, if you turn your critical gaze on federer...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:

Shut up? you should shut up for ever and ever. Maybe you don't know that Roger has took 8 MTO already and WITHOUT any injury. After to lose the fourth set he had to do something and he did. Even that Rafa broke him twice in the fifth set right after Roger was running and playing better and more aggressive than ever, what a coincidence!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
imjimmy said:
Kieran said:
imjimmy said:
Congratulations to all the Federer fans. Federer played very well, was the best player in the tournament and deserved the trophy.
The most improvements I saw from him were on his footwork and execution on the backhand side. He seems to be doing better on the wide balls to his backhand than he has in the past several years. And of course he is still serving very well.

For Nadal the defeat would be bitterly disappointing. Yes, he was back from a lean patch, but this was a big missed opportunity,especially considering he was facing Fed in the final.

The law of averages caught up with him. He had dug himself out of hole in the 3rd round and then again in the SF. But he finished those matches brilliantly. In the final though,he had used up all his nine lives, it seemed. He was 22 last time when he won the AO playing 2 consecutive five setters with one less day of rest. But he's not the same player anymore.

Positives for Rafa are his mental belief and aggression when he's down ( break points etc..). These were sorely missing (for the past couple of years) and generally what makes him a great player. Furthermore, his backhand is firing and he is moving well towards that side. He also showed the ability to be aggressive on the ROS especially in the QF against Raonic.

The negatives: His serve. It's hard to overstate the importance of this. He can't afford to get his serve broken so many times and still expect to win slams. Free points on serve would make his life much easier and his opponents' that much harder given how often he is able to break. Rafa's forehand could also be better. While he is getting good depth in general, he still hasn't been able to get the angles on the off-forehand with which he used to yank his opponents side to side.

Overall, I thought Rafa looked a little flat in the final. He seemed to play re-actively to tactics that Federer was employing. He still managed to get to 5 sets and was a break up in the 5th, so he can't be too hard on himself. But he wasn't able to settle in a groove as he has done in the past against Federer. His ROS positioning was also very defensive, which is hard to understand given that he had so much success in the QF and SF by taking the ball early. It would be interesting to see how Rafa responds when these 2 champions play each other next.

This was for the 15th slam and to be the first (open era) player to get a double career slam. Rafa isn't getting any younger and with a resurgent Novak, Andy and talented youngsters on the horizon (not least Dimitrov and Zverev) things will only get harder. So who knows when (and if) the 15th would come.

Still, given his last couple of years, this performance is very heartening, and at very least gets Rafa back in the mix, where he deserves to be..

Welcome back, Imjimmy, and hopefully we'll see you here a lot more. Always good to read your balanced views. :)

Just a couple of minor things about this post: I think most people would agree that Rafa was flatter than usual due to the long and grueling semi. But he actually was fine on serve in both the quarters and semi, bar his second set wobbles in both matches. He was aggressive, assertive and he controlled the rallies. He wasn't like that in the final, but a lack of mental sharpness will do that.

Likewise, on the return. Milos rains down hell on a fast court, but Rafa was in tight on the baseline and clicking. But his reflexes and reaction times weren't as sharp in the final, so he stood further back, hope to get a longer look at it, but generally this didn't help. Otherwise, I completely agree, and the backhand throughout the event was a mighty thing. I'm judging him more on his play coming into the final, where I think we can get a better idea of his levels. Generally, it's a vast improvement on 2015/2016, most especially in the mental department, but he's still not wobble-proof and so he's still not back. In almost every match he wobbled in a very unRafa-like way. This is understandable, and may only be a signpost on the journey back to full everything, but until it's corrected, he's going to be out on court longer than he needs to be.

I agree totally with your caveat:

Rafa isn't getting any younger and with a resurgent Novak, Andy and talented youngsters on the horizon (not least Dimitrov and Zverev) things will only get harder. So who knows when (and if) the 15th would come.

But I admire his honesty and integrity in busting a gut to make it happen, but if it doesn't happen naturally, he's going to have to settle for the remarkable record he already has...

Thanks Kieran. Great to read from you as well. Haven't heard from Broken_Shoelace, tented, Nehmeth, Moxie and many other Rafa fans. Hopefully they come back. Also I hope you keep posting frequently, and perhaps you can do away with the sabaticals during the slams.

I agree with your post. His serving was pretty decent up through the finals. While still a far cry from his 2013 serve, he was still hitting his spots and placing well. In the finals, however, he wasn't serving well at all. Not with the placement, nor with the speed. The down the T serve to the forehand and the sharp wide serves were far and few in-between.

My view is that as he gets older, Rafa will need to get some free points on serve. He is among the best in the business at breaking serves of his opponents. So if he could hold easier, it would make his game doubly effective.

Also, this is not an excuse, but the titanic battle in the SF definitely hurt Rafa's chances. He came out a little flat, and quite clearly his recovery rate (after one less day of rest) wouldn't be like it was when he was 22 in 2009. It might seem ridiculous to suggest for Rafa, but I feel that he was guilty of (perhaps) underestimating Federer a little. Deep down he thought he would be able to dominate Federer eventually as he always had.

But so much time had passed since they last met in the slam, it was hard to know what to expect. Clearly, Federer had a plan and Rafa was mostly reacting to it. Federer was blitzing through his service games and trying to finish points without giving Nadal any rhythm. He was also trying to disrupt their regular patterns of play and executing at a high level. That Nadal almost still won the match is a testament to his fighting spirit. I'm sure no one was more disappointed than him after losing being up a break in the 5th.

Overall, I do see a lot of positives for Rafa. I don't know anyone who plays big matches (especially revenge matches) better than he does. So I expect the next time these two face-off it might be a very different story. Meaning he doesn't have to worry about Federer as much going forward.
But he does have to - the likes of Djokovic, Zverev, Dimitrov, Murray etc - who are harder matchups for him. For beating them, he will definitely need to serve better and be even more aggressive overall. And that would be the key for him to get to 15 or more..

Great post! We kinda see it the same: that Rafa has given us hope but he's not yet guaranteed to be back..

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
Front242 said:
I got home late after a good gym session only to be subjected to her drivel. I mean we can all just read the nonsense and move on or we can reply. After all, this is a forum for discussion. Really though, such a clueless blind fan to be moaning about an MTO which didn't even help him. He looked like he was going to lose the match ffs but she's conveniently forgotten and only her hatred is stopping her from seeing straight.

He admitted the MTO against Stan was more of a mental thing, to talk to somebody, "even if it's just the physio." Now I've no problem with this, and I have no issue if federer also complained about Nishi taking one. These things are part of the competition, and it's up to players to complain if they're being done, and up to umpires to enforce the rules. But we always as fans have to be consistent in our criticisms. You're not less a fan, in other words, if you turn your critical gaze on federer...

Yeah and he also said this "For some reason, against Stan I had it from the start on both sides of the groin … I felt my quad midway through the second set already, and the groin started to hurt midway through the third set." And it was clearly evident his movement was crapola from set 3 onwards. Roger, had pain and hampered movement.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kieran said:
Front242 said:

Yeah and he also said this "For some reason, against Stan I had it from the start on both sides of the groin … I felt my quad midway through the second set already, and the groin started to hurt midway through the third set." And it was clearly evident his movement was crapola from set 3 onwards. Roger, had pain and hampered movement.

Buddy, they can all point at their bits and get them rubbed while they get their act together. i just hope the physio spoke one of his languages. No point in holding a conversation otherwise, eh? ;)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Kieran said:
Front242 said:

And what was the reason that he did the same playing with Rafa?

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran, I agree about being consistent with our criticism, but in this case I think you're only partially right. Roger is far less prone to such timeouts than many other players. Hardly seems hypocritical to be annoyed with players who do it frequently.

(This call for consistency on your point is a tad ironic considering your tendency to automatically defend the most rabid of your fellow Rafa fans, even when she is vituperating vitriol at Roger)

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:

Shut up? you should shut up for ever and ever. Maybe you don't know that Roger has took 8 MTO already and WITHOUT any injury. After to lose the fourth set he had to do something and he did. Even that Rafa broke him twice in the fifth set right after Roger was running and playing better and more aggressive than ever, what a coincidence!

You really need your eyes checked pronto. Running and playing so much better he fell behind 3-1? Carol, get help. You seriously need it badly. For the record, the only MTO I recall Nadal taking while leading was Wimbledon 2010 on set point in the TB against Del Potro. ALL his other ones have been while he was losing. 8 MTOs without injury for Federer? LOL says who ? You? Must be true so.

As I said earlier, if the players thought he was a cheat he wouldn't get the sportsmanship award every year which is kind of the polar opposite of Nadal only getting it once as I also already mentioned. You still haven't sat down to think that over but it's ok, take your time. I know you'll get it eventually. The players don't think he's that much of a good sport. Wonder why. Maybe you've missed all the guys complaining about how long he takes all the time between points? Tuck in and watch some clips of players having a justified rant about the saint himself, Sir Rafa. Plenty of viewing on Youtube to keep you glued to your screen for hours.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Front242 said:
Kieran said:

And what was the reason that he did the same playing with Rafa?

He had an adductor strain which affects everything from serving to running. Have you forgotten already? Raonic had the same against Nadal and was clearly serving slower than usual. It's not easy to play with a strain like that. Since round 2 Roger had groin/adductor pain..many were speculating he could be in a bad way since the match with Stan. Probably pumped full of painkillers but they do wear off you know?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
From post match interview after the match with Stan:

“The leg wasn’t better or worse in the fifth (set),” he said.

“I felt tightness throughout the match, and I felt like it slowed me down.

“I just hoped that maybe having the physio work on it, that it would make me feel better. But it didn’t.

It's nice to be slow and in pain yeah? I'm no fan of the MTO rule at all but it's ok when the guy taking one is actually in pain and not just some jacka$$ deliberately making his opponent wait so he can compose himself after being beaten to a pulp prior to taking it in that hope that they cool down, lose focus and ultimately lose. Very sporting I'm sure you agree.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Kieran, I agree about being consistent with our criticism, but in this case I think you're only partially right. Roger is far less prone to such timeouts than many other players. Hardly seems hypocritical to be annoyed with players who do it frequently.

(This call for consistency on your point is a tad ironic considering your tendency to automatically defend the most rabid of your fellow Rafa fans, even when she is vituperating vitriol at Roger)

Actually buddy, you're a page or two behind. I mentioned this inconsistency earlier today. And yesterday, I said what I repeated above, that I have no problem with MTO's. Toilet breaks. I've seen all the top players take them just at the moment they need them...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Carol35 said:
Front242 said:

You really need your eyes checked pronto. Running and playing so much better he fell behind 3-1? Carol, get help. You seriously need it badly. For the record, the only MTO I recall Nadal taking while leading was Wimbledon 2010 on set point in the TB against Del Potro. ALL his other ones have been while he was losing. 8 MTOs without injury for Federer? LOL says who ? You? Must be true so.

As I said earlier, if the players thought he was a cheat he wouldn't get the sportsmanship award every year which is kind of the polar opposite of Nadal only getting it once as I also already mentioned. You still haven't sat down to think that over but it's ok, take your time. I know you'll get it eventually. The players don't think he's that much of a good sport. Wonder why. Maybe you've missed all the guys complaining about how long he takes all the time between points? Tuck in and watch some clips of players having a justified rant about the saint himself, Sir Rafa. Plenty of viewing on Youtube to keep you glued to your screen for hours.

My eyes are in very good conditions, I've watched the replay very relaxed, point by point and I saw that Roger after the fourth set (maybe 10 minutes later or less was playing and running like a possessed)
And yes, he played very well that set, much better than a very tired Nadal that not even his serve was working well. By the way if I were Rafa I would have thrown the plate to the Roger's "groins parts" in the Trophy Ceremony :popcorn
And please, don't repeat any more about that silly "Award":s

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
There was a moment on the Wawrinka match, I guess in the middle of the fourth, when I had the clear impression that Federer was limping a bit. I remember it because I thought at the moment that he was being a prima donna and I cursed him hard for half a minute.