2017 Australian Open Final: FEDAL XXXV

Who will win the title?

• Total voters

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Roddick had the best tweet:

Everyone stop right now .. take 6 months off. Come back. Win ..... can't believe what I watched. Congrats to my friend @rogerfederer

I am tempted to ask my boss for six months off. :lolz:

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Federer winning his 18th major, and beating Nadal in the process, is an unexpected an pleasant surprise, to say the least! I haven't followed tennis since the 2016 US Open. Is Federer's black racquet a new thing? That's one fine looking piece of equipment!

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
Federer winning his 18th major, and beating Nadal in the process, is an unexpected an pleasant surprise, to say the least! I haven't followed tennis since the 2016 US Open. Is Federer's black racquet a new thing? That's one fine looking piece of equipment!

It's his usual racquet with a paintjob, BUT IT LOOKS AMAIZING.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Roddick had the best tweet:

Everyone stop right now .. take 6 months off. Come back. Win ..... can't believe what I watched. Congrats to my friend @rogerfederer

I am tempted to ask my boss for six months off. :lolz:

It's funny, fedfans used to consider it to be highly suspicious if a player came back from a long break and suddenly hit great form, winning slams. Now it's okay. A side benefit of Federer's barely credible run is that we'll never again read posts condemning MTO's, or casting suspicion on others regarding PED's. So that's good...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Not me, Kieran--what Nadal did was awesome, and what he and Roger just did was awesome. The fact they can come back mentally and fight after so long outside of the pressure cooker amazes me. They are gifted and tenacious fighters on court. Rafa is really in a separate league, but they both did a remarkable thing. What were the odds that both of them would make the finals? 200-1? More? I doubt many, if any, saw this coming--and they each played two five set matches to get there against two top ten players (in Roger's case) and a top ten and up and comer on everyone's radar (in Nadal's case) to get there. Stupendous stuff! Those who cast aspersions of PED use are just grasping at straws--these guys ain't doin' that--they have too much to lose.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
At odds like that Shawn, I wish I was a gambler! I remember in 2002 Pete lost in the second round of wimbo. I told the missus, pack your bags, we're away to NYC, Sampras-Agassi final this year! Crazy, huh? But what were the odds, given how poorly Pete was playing? I gambled and bought the tickets, so I definitely won - but a bit of spending money coulda been earned too, for the missus! ;)

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Congratulations to all the Federer fans. Federer played very well, was the best player in the tournament and deserved the trophy.
The most improvements I saw from him were on his footwork and execution on the backhand side. He seems to be doing better on the wide balls to his backhand than he has in the past several years. And of course he is still serving very well.

For Nadal the defeat would be bitterly disappointing. Yes, he was back from a lean patch, but this was a big missed opportunity,especially considering he was facing Fed in the final.

The law of averages caught up with him. He had dug himself out of hole in the 3rd round and then again in the SF. But he finished those matches brilliantly. In the final though,he had used up all his nine lives, it seemed. He was 22 last time when he won the AO playing 2 consecutive five setters with one less day of rest. But he's not the same player anymore.

Positives for Rafa are his mental belief and aggression when he's down ( break points etc..). These were sorely missing (for the past couple of years) and generally what makes him a great player. Furthermore, his backhand is firing and he is moving well towards that side. He also showed the ability to be aggressive on the ROS especially in the QF against Raonic.

The negatives: His serve. It's hard to overstate the importance of this. He can't afford to get his serve broken so many times and still expect to win slams. Free points on serve would make his life much easier and his opponents' that much harder given how often he is able to break. Rafa's forehand could also be better. While he is getting good depth in general, he still hasn't been able to get the angles on the off-forehand with which he used to yank his opponents side to side.

Overall, I thought Rafa looked a little flat in the final. He seemed to play re-actively to tactics that Federer was employing. He still managed to get to 5 sets and was a break up in the 5th, so he can't be too hard on himself. But he wasn't able to settle in a groove as he has done in the past against Federer. His ROS positioning was also very defensive, which is hard to understand given that he had so much success in the QF and SF by taking the ball early. It would be interesting to see how Rafa responds when these 2 champions play each other next.

This was for the 15th slam and to be the first (open era) player to get a double career slam. Rafa isn't getting any younger and with a resurgent Novak, Andy and talented youngsters on the horizon (not least Dimitrov and Zverev) things will only get harder. So who knows when (and if) the 15th would come.

Still, given his last couple of years, this performance is very heartening, and at very least gets Rafa back in the mix, where he deserves to be..

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I wonder if there is anything Roger can do at this stage to solve his " Moving to the forehand side" issue...People think his forehand sometimes deserts him. His forehand is always there, it is just that he is not in the correct spot to hit them properly all the time. Can someone add explosiveness at that age to the arsenal?

Crap man, what am I talking about... The guy can retire tomorrow and all would be still good. Fedfans are never satisfied...:snicker

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Truly, we are not, Murat. But who is? But I can tell you that anything from here on out is gravy, at least for me. At this point it is just about enjoying his last year or two, maybe accumulating some more titles, and hopefully winning another Slam - but it doesn't feel like it "has to" happen, like #18 did.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, the only player NOW with a chance for a double career slam this year is Federer. Who woulda thunk it? LOL. If he could avoid Nadal, you never know. I don't see him beating any version of Nadal in Paris on that wide and deep court, but I would think his odds would be better against Novak and especially Murray. You to figure he feels he can stand toe to toe again with these youngsters. Unreal to even speculate on such a thing, but he won the AO!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I wonder if there is anything Roger can do at this stage to solve his " Moving to the forehand side" issue...People think his forehand sometimes deserts him. His forehand is always there, it is just that he is not in the correct spot to hit them properly all the time. Can someone add explosiveness at that age to the arsenal?

Crap man, what am I talking about... The guy can retire tomorrow and all would be still good. Fedfans are never satisfied...:snicker

The good news is I don't think his movement has gotten any worse to that side the past 5-6 years. I think what's worse is with age there are days where he moves way worse than normal, and usually it's going to happen deeper in the slams as it gets tougher for him to recover. I know he has a slight groin/leg issue but compare his movement vs. Stan with the rest of the matches at this tournament and it was a night and day difference. He got away with that as well as a poor serving day vs. Stan and I'm still not sure how.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Well, the only player NOW with a chance for a double career slam this year is Federer. Who woulda thunk it? LOL. If he could avoid Nadal, you never know. I don't see him beating any version of Nadal in Paris on that wide and deep court, but I would think his odds would be better against Novak and especially Murray. You to figure he feels he can stand toe to toe again with these youngsters. Unreal to even speculate on such a thing, but he won the AO!

Actually Novak has the chance at a double career slam as well at RG.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
El Dude said:
Truly, we are not, Murat. But who is? But I can tell you that anything from here on out is gravy, at least for me. At this point it is just about enjoying his last year or two, maybe accumulating some more titles, and hopefully winning another Slam - but it doesn't feel like it "has to" happen, like #18 did.

It does not feel that way because the own #18 changed it all. Not only the slam count itself, but it is impossible not to wonder that Federer turned a monster corner on that match. I agree with Murat´s forehand analysis above, but I do not think it particularly applies to this final. This time, most of his errors were due to nervousness. I guess his ratio of success on sitter balls inside the service box was bellow 50%. Hell, he missed an standing overhead from 3 feet of the net, with all the time in the world. I am really looking forward to his next match with Nadal.

Of course that part of the up and down nature of his play on the final was due to his strategy, but still... without the nervousness it could have been on stress free straights.

I guess from now on he might capitalize on the high risk/high reward approach. It will give him some hard losses against the top dogs, but some nice wins too, that, as you said, right now are just gravy...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
imjimmy said:
Congratulations to all the Federer fans. Federer played very well, was the best player in the tournament and deserved the trophy.
The most improvements I saw from him were on his footwork and execution on the backhand side. He seems to be doing better on the wide balls to his backhand than he has in the past several years. And of course he is still serving very well.

For Nadal the defeat would be bitterly disappointing. Yes, he was back from a lean patch, but this was a big missed opportunity,especially considering he was facing Fed in the final.

The law of averages caught up with him. He had dug himself out of hole in the 3rd round and then again in the SF. But he finished those matches brilliantly. In the final though,he had used up all his nine lives, it seemed. He was 22 last time when he won the AO playing 2 consecutive five setters with one less day of rest. But he's not the same player anymore.

Positives for Rafa are his mental belief and aggression when he's down ( break points etc..). These were sorely missing (for the past couple of years) and generally what makes him a great player. Furthermore, his backhand is firing and he is moving well towards that side. He also showed the ability to be aggressive on the ROS especially in the QF against Raonic.

The negatives: His serve. It's hard to overstate the importance of this. He can't afford to get his serve broken so many times and still expect to win slams. Free points on serve would make his life much easier and his opponents' that much harder given how often he is able to break. Rafa's forehand could also be better. While he is getting good depth in general, he still hasn't been able to get the angles on the off-forehand with which he used to yank his opponents side to side.

Overall, I thought Rafa looked a little flat in the final. He seemed to play re-actively to tactics that Federer was employing. He still managed to get to 5 sets and was a break up in the 5th, so he can't be too hard on himself. But he wasn't able to settle in a groove as he has done in the past against Federer. His ROS positioning was also very defensive, which is hard to understand given that he had so much success in the QF and SF by taking the ball early. It would be interesting to see how Rafa responds when these 2 champions play each other next.

This was for the 15th slam and to be the first (open era) player to get a double career slam. Rafa isn't getting any younger and with a resurgent Novak, Andy and talented youngsters on the horizon (not least Dimitrov and Zverev) things will only get harder. So who knows when (and if) the 15th would come.

Still, given his last couple of years, this performance is very heartening, and at very least gets Rafa back in the mix, where he deserves to be..

Welcome back, Imjimmy, and hopefully we'll see you here a lot more. Always good to read your balanced views. :)

Just a couple of minor things about this post: I think most people would agree that Rafa was flatter than usual due to the long and grueling semi. But he actually was fine on serve in both the quarters and semi, bar his second set wobbles in both matches. He was aggressive, assertive and he controlled the rallies. He wasn't like that in the final, but a lack of mental sharpness will do that.

Likewise, on the return. Milos rains down hell on a fast court, but Rafa was in tight on the baseline and clicking. But his reflexes and reaction times weren't as sharp in the final, so he stood further back, hope to get a longer look at it, but generally this didn't help. Otherwise, I completely agree, and the backhand throughout the event was a mighty thing. I'm judging him more on his play coming into the final, where I think we can get a better idea of his levels. Generally, it's a vast improvement on 2015/2016, most especially in the mental department, but he's still not wobble-proof and so he's still not back. In almost every match he wobbled in a very unRafa-like way. This is understandable, and may only be a signpost on the journey back to full everything, but until it's corrected, he's going to be out on court longer than he needs to be.

I agree totally with your caveat:

Rafa isn't getting any younger and with a resurgent Novak, Andy and talented youngsters on the horizon (not least Dimitrov and Zverev) things will only get harder. So who knows when (and if) the 15th would come.

But I admire his honesty and integrity in busting a gut to make it happen, but if it doesn't happen naturally, he's going to have to settle for the remarkable record he already has...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Resurgent or comedown of Novak? and is he and Muzz getting younger? tell me please how they can do it, I'd love to know the secret :cool:

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
Well, hurrah!!!!

Just elated. As a Roger fan, this ecstasy is beyond words and belief. Roger playing three 5 setters within 7 days and winning 'em all with the final win coming against his arch rival Nadal after 9.5 years. What a legend! When he makes it, he makes it look so good! Pure bliss!

Federer's backhand was enormous in the whole tournament. Couldn't keep track of all the winners he blasted off that wing. Against Rafa, his backhand looked like a lethal weapon, not like a weak shot. He achieved this for his maiden time in slams against Rafa in the last 10 years I believe. It was delightful to watch Federer's backhand tackle Rafa's forehand finally, each time with interest. Great stuff! So delighted.

Nadal is a great, humble champion. He made the match very entertaining. I feel for him, really but I somehow don't want to damp my happiness by remembering this often. Nadal will be back anyways.

Best moment of my life.

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Kieran said:
imjimmy said:

Welcome back, Imjimmy, and hopefully we'll see you here a lot more. Always good to read your balanced views. :)

Just a couple of minor things about this post: I think most people would agree that Rafa was flatter than usual due to the long and grueling semi. But he actually was fine on serve in both the quarters and semi, bar his second set wobbles in both matches. He was aggressive, assertive and he controlled the rallies. He wasn't like that in the final, but a lack of mental sharpness will do that.

Likewise, on the return. Milos rains down hell on a fast court, but Rafa was in tight on the baseline and clicking. But his reflexes and reaction times weren't as sharp in the final, so he stood further back, hope to get a longer look at it, but generally this didn't help. Otherwise, I completely agree, and the backhand throughout the event was a mighty thing. I'm judging him more on his play coming into the final, where I think we can get a better idea of his levels. Generally, it's a vast improvement on 2015/2016, most especially in the mental department, but he's still not wobble-proof and so he's still not back. In almost every match he wobbled in a very unRafa-like way. This is understandable, and may only be a signpost on the journey back to full everything, but until it's corrected, he's going to be out on court longer than he needs to be.

I agree totally with your caveat:

Rafa isn't getting any younger and with a resurgent Novak, Andy and talented youngsters on the horizon (not least Dimitrov and Zverev) things will only get harder. So who knows when (and if) the 15th would come.

But I admire his honesty and integrity in busting a gut to make it happen, but if it doesn't happen naturally, he's going to have to settle for the remarkable record he already has...

Thanks Kieran. Great to read from you as well. Haven't heard from Broken_Shoelace, tented, Nehmeth, Moxie and many other Rafa fans. Hopefully they come back. Also I hope you keep posting frequently, and perhaps you can do away with the sabaticals during the slams.

I agree with your post. His serving was pretty decent up through the finals. While still a far cry from his 2013 serve, he was still hitting his spots and placing well. In the finals, however, he wasn't serving well at all. Not with the placement, nor with the speed. The down the T serve to the forehand and the sharp wide serves were far and few in-between.

My view is that as he gets older, Rafa will need to get some free points on serve. He is among the best in the business at breaking serves of his opponents. So if he could hold easier, it would make his game doubly effective.

Also, this is not an excuse, but the titanic battle in the SF definitely hurt Rafa's chances. He came out a little flat, and quite clearly his recovery rate (after one less day of rest) wouldn't be like it was when he was 22 in 2009. It might seem ridiculous to suggest for Rafa, but I feel that he was guilty of (perhaps) underestimating Federer a little. Deep down he thought he would be able to dominate Federer eventually as he always had.

But so much time had passed since they last met in the slam, it was hard to know what to expect. Clearly, Federer had a plan and Rafa was mostly reacting to it. Federer was blitzing through his service games and trying to finish points without giving Nadal any rhythm. He was also trying to disrupt their regular patterns of play and executing at a high level. That Nadal almost still won the match is a testament to his fighting spirit. I'm sure no one was more disappointed than him after losing being up a break in the 5th.

Overall, I do see a lot of positives for Rafa. I don't know anyone who plays big matches (especially revenge matches) better than he does. So I expect the next time these two face-off it might be a very different story. Meaning he doesn't have to worry about Federer as much going forward.
But he does have to - the likes of Djokovic, Zverev, Dimitrov, Murray etc - who are harder matchups for him. For beating them, he will definitely need to serve better and be even more aggressive overall. And that would be the key for him to get to 15 or more..

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
This is not an advisory note. But...

Henceforth, guys, please be positive in life. No matter what the history indicates, always have a hope, never dismiss chances and talk negatively about any match. The result on Sunday did prove that you can afford to hope for the "unthinkable", the "unimaginable". Let us, along with our celebrations, learn to HOPE. :)

Cheers everyone Federer and Nadal fan alike.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
This might be my favorite post-AO celebratory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA3IxpwSXZQ

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DarthFed said:
shawnbm said:

Actually Novak has the chance at a double career slam as well at RG.

I completely forgot about that--you are 100% correct. Well, Rafa, Novak and Roger fighting for history--some to stop Novak or Roger from doing it and some to be the first to win a major ten times!