2017 Australian Open Day 2: Tuesday, Jan 17 - Order of Play

Andrew William

Masters Champion
Reactions
Nadal vs Mayer. Haven't had a chance to see him play in quite some time. Interested to see what form he brings into this one.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Dustin is dusted in 3,4,2

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
The Newest Tower of USA steals the 4th set from McFly. Heading to a decider.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It seems like there are a lot of five-setters today.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw most of Rafa's match and I am impressed by his level. The short ball he used to hit of late is almost not there. He looks trim and fit, due to loss of weight. He has shown today that he is able to dip into his "golden retriever" mode also.

I did not really se Zverev's match and so don't know what is going on with him (I know the unimpressive score line).

I think if Rafa can get past Zverev, he will make it to SF.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Karlovic defeated Zeballos in 5 sets with 22-20 in the ifth

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Haase has lost the 'mojo' completely :cover

he should consider retirement for good, his body refuses to play tennis again

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Even doing 75 aces Karlovic still had to play for 5 hours and 14 minutes to beat Zeballos? :nono

I've read that Verdasco payed very poorly the first set, he looked completely distracted, then in the second set he woke up and played much better though he finished throwing the set stupidly (nothing new on him) and in the third he was completely out, 51 unforced error, yelling to his box (he should have yelling to himself) and meanwhile Novak taking a deep breathing with that result, I don't blame him :cover

Rafa did well but also many silly unforced errors and bad returns. Hope he will do better the next match playing against Bagh

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Even doing 75 aces Karlovic still had to play for 5 hours and 14 minutes to beat Zeballos? :nono

I've read that Verdasco payed very poorly the first set, he looked completely distracted, then in the second set he woke up and played much better though he finished throwing the set stupidly (nothing new on him) and in the third he was completely out, 51 unforced error, yelling to his box (he should have yelling to himself) and meanwhile Novak taking a deep breathing with that result, I don't blame him :cover

Rafa did well but also many silly unforced errors and bad returns. Hope he will do better the next match playing against Bagh

I was disappointed that Rafa didnt stand closer to the baseline but chose to stand back at the Melbourne signature..he will pay dearly for that against better servers is my fear

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
isabelle said:
Carol35 said:

I think you may mean Haas, not Haase? IIRC Haas is retiring at the end of the year. Shame to see him retire in his final AO match. :(

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
I think if Rafa can get past Zverev, he will make it to SF.

I agree Zverev is likely the biggest obstacle to QF, but Raonic (assuming he's there) could be a bit of a different proposition. (Caveat: I didn't see that match, nor their two matches today.) It was close between them earlier this year, so my guess is it will be close again - but it would certainly tell us more about Nadal's form, and whether another one of his amazing injury comebacks is on the cards!

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Even though Djokovic won in three sets, I am quite surprised that he was that edgy already in the second set. I know it might not mean much in the bigger picture but seeing him that "edgy" in the first match is rather interesting.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
mightyjeditribble said:
isabelle said:
Carol35 said:

I think you may mean Haas, not Haase? IIRC Haas is retiring at the end of the year. Shame to see him retire in his final AO match. :(

I was talking about Haase (and not Haas) against Zeverev :)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I rather to see what the ten top players are going to play after the third round though someones have easier opponents than others

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Carol35 said:
I rather to see what the ten top players are going to play after the third round though someones have easier opponents than others

You just can't help yourself, can you. :s