pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wihzylroac4[/video]

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Milos lost it. I think his leg is bothering him and the serving action. Crap...another Nole-Murray.

Credit to Murray for hanging in there. I picked him to win it in five. Raonic is so big, it seems he will always have issues with his body.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
nehmeth said:
1972Murat said:
Milos lost it. I think his leg is bothering him and the serving action. Crap...another Nole-Murray.

Credit to Murray for hanging in there. I picked him to win it in five. Raonic is so big, it seems he will always have issues with his body.

True...big guys always suffer from one thing or the other. Still impressed with the guys improvement. And kudos to Murray for sure. He'll lose his 5th AO final. What's the record for that I wonder, slam final losses? How many did Ivan lose at Wimby?

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFNazmH5-oc[/video]

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats to King Muzza, good fight

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
nehmeth said:
1972Murat said:

True...big guys always suffer from one thing or the other. Still impressed with the guys improvement. And kudos to Murray for sure. He'll lose his 5th AO final. What's the record for that I wonder, slam final losses? How many did Ivan lose at Wimby?

Lendl lost two at Wimbo. Borg lost 4 at the US Open. Roger has lost 4 in Paris, though he has a win there. I think that's the open era record...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
1972Murat said:
nehmeth said:

Lendl lost two at Wimbo. Borg lost 4 at the US Open. Roger has lost 4 in Paris, though he has a win there. I think that's the open era record...

In the open era, no player has lost the final of a slam four times and then went to win the same slam. Andy has lost AO 4 times (thrice to Novak and once to Fed). If he ever wins AO, that will be a record.

p.s. Roger lost RG finals only three times before going on to win it in 2009 (his 2005 loss was in SF).

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is the era of insane records. Andy might hold off to lose six times in Oz before winning it... :snicker

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:
1972Murat said:

In the open era, no player has lost the final of a slam four times and then went to win the same slam. Andy has lost AO 4 times (thrice to Novak and once to Fed). If he ever wins AO, that will be a record.

p.s. Roger lost RG finals only three times before going on to win it in 2009 (his 2005 loss was in SF).

"Win it" or was he "gifted" his '09 FO? Sorry, Roger didn't win it IMO; assisted by Soderling who took out Nadal in the R16! I just hope Federer got Robin something nice for helping to complete his CGS finally! ;-) :cover :ras:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Kieran said:

"Win it" or was he "gifted" his '09 FO? Sorry, Roger didn't win it IMO; assisted by Soderling who took out Nadal in the quarters! I just hope Federer got Robin something nice for helping to complete his CGS finally! ;-) :cover :ras:

You keep saying that but how about Stan buying a present for Novak for beating Rafa at RG last year, Rafa buying Roger a present for Wimbledon 2010? That list is endless and pointless. Roger had to work extremely hard to win RG 2009, Rafa not so much to win Wimbledon and Stan had to play like a man possessed to beat Novak at RG. To put RG 2009 in perspective, this was one of the few times the guy who knocked out the defending champion went all the way to the final which should tell you how insanely well he was playing. The norm after a huge upset is the player loses his or her next match dismally. Kudos to Soderling for bucking that trend 2 straight years in a row.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Milos said it was his hip abductor - he doesn't even want to go to the doctor until he feels ready to hear what he says. Not a fan, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :(

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2016-01-29/raonic_feels_the_pain.html

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
nehmeth said:
Milos said it was his hip abductor - he doesn't even want to go to the doctor until he feels ready to hear what he says. Not a fan, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :(

http://www.ausopen.com/en_AU/news/articles/2016-01-29/raonic_feels_the_pain.html

Very harsh alright. Had a tab open at work with the live scores and felt bad for him when I saw the way McToothy won set 5. Knew something had to be up for Raonic to have lost from that position. Hopefully he heels up soon. Not a fan either but he has very definitely improved a lot and barring fitness issues was very possibly going to be Novak's opponent here and he'll take a small degree of comfort knowing that, though for now he's obviously gutted.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Front242 said:
Fiero425 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

"Win it" or was he "gifted" his '09 FO? Sorry, Roger didn't win it IMO; assisted by Soderling who took out Nadal in the R16! I just hope Federer got Robin something nice for helping to complete his CGS finally! ;-) :cover :ras:

You keep saying that but how about Stan buying a present for Novak for beating Rafa at RG last year, Rafa buying Roger a present for Wimbledon 2010? That list is endless and pointless. Roger had to work extremely hard to win RG 2009, Rafa not so much to win Wimbledon and Stan had to play like a man possessed to beat Novak at RG. To put RG 2009 in perspective, this was one of the few times the guy who knocked out the defending champion went all the way to the final which should tell you how insanely well he was playing. The norm after a huge upset is the player loses his or her next match dismally. Kudos to Soderling for bucking that trend 2 straight years in a row.

And? What's your point? It's true! You should know by now, I'm a tennis historian; seen it all and done it all when it comes to tennis! It's been the center of my universe since '71! My collection is unmatched and keeps my memory halfway straight so I don't pass on erroneous info! Soderling's influence over '09 FO is featured in programming so you can't lump that event with any of the others! It was historic since it stopped Nadal from continuing a run never seen at a major; maybe 10 in a row after all is said and done! We also know Nadal has owned Roger; esp. at clay events! Most Federer fans, including me 10 years ago used to rationalize Nadal was only beating our boy on this slow, unforgiving surface! That was a crock since Nadal took him out of Wimbledon as well; supposedly on Roger's "best" surface! It seems that any wins Roger had over Rafa after he became a seasoned pro was actually an upset with The GOAT still woefully behind h2h to his greatest rival until Nole started to get his number as well! Now Roger will have to deal with 2 players who stake claim to GOAT-dom because of their rivalry with the ATG! :angel: :dodgy: :p

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Troll alert :nono

Real historians will know that Soderling took out Rafa in R16 and not in QF.

Real historians will also know Roger had to really work through difficult opponents such as Haas, JMDP and Monfils before even reaching finals in 2009.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Troll alert :nono

Real historians will also know Roger had to really work through difficult opponents such as Haas, JMDP and Monfils before even reaching finals in 2009.

You got me! I guess that invalidates all opinion on any matter until the end of time! :cover :nono :dodgy: :ras:

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I did not watch the other SF. Exactly from what point in the match Milos was physically hampered. I am seeing conflicting accounts about that in different sources. Can someone who actually watched the match tell me?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

True. In fact, the final was his easiest match, compared to Haas, JMDP, and Monfils. He even went 4 sets against Acasuso in the second round, and Mathieu in the third. The JMDP match was a great one. Far superior to the final.