2016 Australian Open Semifinal: Murray vs. Raonic

Milos vs. Andy

• Total voters

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I have been watching Raonic matches (though not completely). I do agree that he has improved.
In particular, his movement and net play has become better. But, I don't think the improvement is
sufficient to beat Murray.

Andy is a player who is very good against big servers (next to Fed IMO) and would be able to neutralize Milos's serves. I remember one match in which Milos was indulging in thrash talk and said it is a question of how Andy adjusts and reacts to my game (as opposed to how Milos had to deal with playing with Andy). He got promptly thrashed in that match and after that he did a mea culpa saying there is a huge difference between him and big players. In his defense, that match may be his first one with Andy.

Andy enjoyed toying Sam Groth and I expect to see some amount of toying here and there.
Even though I am not a big fan of Andy, I enjoy his matches when Andy is in control and visibly
toying with his opponent (see his match against Groth in this years AO for example).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Even though their H2H is 3-3, all of Andy's wins are straight set wins. Milos on the other hand has to go the distance and if not, has to go to a TB. So, really speaking the H2H is in favor of Andy if you look at the set level or game level.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I read that Murray was acting like a real S.o.B. during his match with Ferrer, screaming at Mauresmo and his box. He said in the interview he's been under a lot of stress and was ready to retire from the tournament when his father in law collapsed. Can't imagine what it's like with all he has to sort through.

Raonic may be able to capitalize on the situation...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
nehmeth said:
shawnbm said:
Raonic in Five. He is serving well and he has the forehand cracking heading winners for him.

Murray's going to change pace and direction on him, force him to create pace, it's going to be close. Milos is in the semis of a slam, so the nerves will be there and he won't be as sharp on the big points. Andy's been down this road a dozen times.

Good points. I'm going with Murray in 4.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Still I think it's dificult to guess who is going to win. Weather, roof, open, nervous, confidence, serve (Muzz is serving well too) lucky points, many erros, whatever but I hope that the winner is going to be the final's winner too :cool:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry to disappoint but Novak wins the whole thing no matter who he plays. I'd bet my house on it.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
Sorry to disappoint but Novak wins the whole thing no matter who he plays. I'd bet my house on it.

Bjorkman thinks Andy will lift the trophy on Sunday, as "he deserves it"
:huh:

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
From BBC radio Tennis Podcast:

Carlos Moya on Milos Raonic: 'He is so much more talented than people think, and more talented than I thought'.

Bravo coach
:clap

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Why some posters think and are convinced of who is going to win before to play the match? :)

Aung Aung

Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Andy is a player who is very good against big servers (next to Fed IMO) and would be able to neutralize Milos's serves. I remember one match in which Milos was indulging in thrash talk and said it is a question of how Andy adjusts and reacts to my game (as opposed to how Milos had to deal with playing with Andy). He got promptly thrashed in that match and after that he did a mea culpa saying there is a huge difference between him and big players. In his defense, that match may be his first one with Andy.

I m not very sure but i think the match was US Open 2012 when murray thrashed Raonic in straight sets. They met once or twice before that in non-slam matches (i think in clay) and raonic won these matches. Thats why he might have been confident against playing Andy but Andy usually plays better in slam matches. In that USO 2012 match, raonic even resorted to going big on 2nd serves as Andy finally get returns in play more as match goes on.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g4h-Rzy5eg[/video]

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Glad Novak is up watching this, and working up a game plan. Raonic is much improved, but I still do not like to watch his style of play.

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CeeSYr6KYo[/video]

pavlik89

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iYYZztLyoM[/video]