• Novak in five

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
AnonymousFan said:
I didn't realize the winner of this match gets an extra day of rest before the final...thought the men's semifinals would be on the same day. Interesting.

Happens, but at this level, it shouldn't make a difference! :puzzled :nono :angel: :dodgy: :p

Normally yes, but when more than half of the top players are near 30, it matters. It would definitely help my old man, if he happens to win SF.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
prathew said:
Here's something I cobbled up as a preview to the anticipated cracker.

https://liquidwhipforehand.wordpress.com/2016/01/26/the-swiss-and-the-serb/

Let me know what you guys think.

Your leanings are evident, but it's a good assessment. I appreciate your writing. If I were a Fed fan, I would enjoy the preview, right up until the prediction.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
This does feel like the final. And once again, it will come down to how Nole is feeling and if Roger can sustain a good level of tennis for a whole match or not. If this was Cincy or something, I would have no problem going with my guy, but realistically, these slam matches have been a bit predictable lately. Also, AO is Nole territory. I mean, I remember Roger playing excellent tennis and losing in straights to Nole here.

I think he will take it to 5 sets this time though. Nole in 5.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
prathew said:

Your bias is evident, but it's a good assessment. I appreciate your writing. If I were a Fed fan, I would enjoy the preview, right up until the prediction.

Ditto, good article, although of course for us Novak fans... At least glad you picked him, haha.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Carol35 said:
Dificult to know who will win. Roger is playing better than Novak and the surface looks fast so I would give him my vote but Novak will try to make him to run miles and extending the match as long as possible which will go against him (Roger)

Djoker in 4, too tough of a task to expect Roger to beat Novak in his "backyard".

Yes, but two years ago everybody thought the same and look what happened and now I don't see Novak playing his bes and Roger yesterday impressed me, I don't say that he also would win the final but if tomorrow he would be able to keep the same level I wouldn't be surprise if he wins the semis

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Not surprisingly Nadal fans are routing for the guy who hasn't been destroying their beloved for the past 10 matches :snicker Probably the one and only time they ever will cheer for old Wodger.

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
How they played in the last few matches is not of too much consequence. It is a better reflection of their opponent's game that day. These days Roger is predictable. He plays as well as he is allowed to play. The only way the old man can walk out this with a W is if Nole has a very bad day and the old man is loose and plays out of his mind.

If I were Roger, I'd hypnotize myself into thinking that it is a best of three match and first play the three setter. Then After he has won the 3 setter and only then should consider himself to really have made it to the SF. In effect Roger has to win two matches and Nole has to win one.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
Not surprisingly Nadal fans are routing for the guy who hasn't been destroying their beloved for the past 10 matches :snicker Probably the one and only time they ever will cheer for old Wodger.
Oh no Front, no...you'd have to pay me to root for Roger (or have him play Isner).:-/ Nole's my 2nd fave behind Rafa so I'm all in for the Serb. ;)

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I really don't care if Novak or Federer win the semis but my vote goes to the one who seems to play better in this AO though depending the opponent the game changes too
But I care more about to see a new champion lifting the trophy, Muzz first or Raonic my second choice ;)

crystalfire

Major Winner
Reactions
i think this is pretty much the final here. imo whoever wins this *should* win the final regardless of whos on the other side of the net.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Carol35 said:
Dificult to know who will win. Roger is playing better than Novak and the surface looks fast so I would give him my vote but Novak will try to make him to run miles and extending the match as long as possible which will go against him (Roger)

If it was a day match and sunny and I'd go with Roger because the court would be much faster. But, it's a night match, there's a chance of rain, the court is going to be much slower and it might be indoors. All of those conditions except indoors favor Djokovic.

The other factor is that Nole gets up for his matches against Roger. He knows he's not going to be able to make 50 unforced errors, let alone 100+. I'd love to be wrong and see Roger make the finals...but I'll have to go with Djokovic in 4. And besides that - if he gets past Roger he'd have to not show up to lose the final regardless of which of who his opponent is. No offense to Murray, Ferrer, Raonic or Monfils fans. It just is what it is.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
crystalfire said:
i think this is pretty much the final here. imo whoever wins this *should* win the final regardless of whos on the other side of the net.

Yeah, pretty much. Especially if it's Roger and Murray. The last time Murray broke Roger was Cinci in 2014. That's nearly 18 months ago - and beyond embarrassing for Murray because he's a great returner.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:

:snicker Why would they even care? Er...except for that whole thing with Roger putting more distance between himself and the fading Nadal in the Slams count. :laydownlaughing Gonna be hard for Nadal to get to 15 the way he's playing - let alone 18.:lolz:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
nehmeth said:
prathew said:

Your bias is evident, but it's a good assessment. I appreciate your writing. If I were a Fed fan, I would enjoy the preview, right up until the prediction.

Ditto, good article, although of course for us Novak fans... At least glad you picked him, haha.

I gotta say tennis fans are pretty defensive... In this good, if rather standardized article, the author is honest enough to let clear who he is rooting for, but is pretty straightforward in his
analysis. Whenever he goes technical, he is explaining why Djokovic should win. And he states (the obvious) that he is #1 by a landslide. He gives some hope to Federer supporter's, which is reasonable, as every match has to be played, and the guy has 17 slams to his name and some wins over Djokovic last year. I am really curious, apart from the "I, inexplicably, do not like him one bit", where are you guys seeing bias?

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Poor choice of word on my part. Probably "leanings" or allegiance would be better. His analysis was without bias.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
One thing we know is that every time Novak levels the H2H with Federer, he promptly loses. But not this time. Leaving aside the fact that Novak is better on this surface and has been better over five sets than Federer for several years now, I also think he's due to peak in this event. Federer has been dancing lightly through the rounds like a man half his age, but Novak has grimly ground his way through, being efficient and sufficient to the task, but no more.

I think he's coming ripe just at the moment he needs to be, and although Federer could win a set, I expect he won't...

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
When Nole plays Roger is slams lately, he picks it up a few nothes, enough to beat him. I am predicting the same outcome, Nole in 4.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think this will play out how their last few matches have played out Roger will have his chances and blow it. I mean Fed's serve is going to hold up well against most as they don't have the ROS of Novak. It is easy to say anyone is serving well up until they hit Novak and that ROS.