2016 Australian Open Final: S. Williams vs. Kerber

Who wins this one?

• Total voters

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watched the winning point again and that was some horrific botched volley by Serena.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I know. It was almost Novak like when he used to botch volleys

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I know that too. This is someone who's won 13 doubles slams. It just shows you how tight she was.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
those months of not playing did her in...just like 2011..she needs a big title win before RG16.I am not really disapponted by ths loss because she came in cold and played a consistent player...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
So none of the sports commentators got this one right. First, they picked Vika to win, then they picked Serena after Vika was knocked out only to see Kerbie win her first slam after defeating both of those players.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I saw Kerber play earlier in the week and I was impressed. Didn't think she'd have a chance against Ms. Williams and was happily surprised to see she pulled off the upset.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats to Kerber, hope she can inspire Andy tomorrow

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Patrick please introduce Serena to the concept of the open court especially when she is at the net. She has done this a lot recently when the open court has been begging.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
So happy for Angie! Even ad a die hard Serena fan, I can't be upset (disappointed yes) about Serena's loss. She was simply outplayed at the key moments by the better player for the match. Great job Angie. I almost cried with her when she realized she won.

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
Congrats to Kerber. Only saw the highlights but it looks like Serena came around the net to congratulate her which is classy.
Disappointed for Serena but it's nice to have a brand-new Slam winner.:D

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Its crazy to think about Kerber a year ago. The storyline about her had become that she had even lost her hold on winning smaller tournaments. Then it all turned when the clay season came and she slowly started to get better and better as 2015 went along. I didn't really think she had a shot at this but she took her chance. I'm really happy for her. She's a work horse and she grabbed the opportunity.

I do feel sad seeing Serena lose. I just want her to get over this hill and tie Steffi. Theres no doubt in my mind she'll do it. I guess I feel a bit sad because I know in some way we're seeing the beginning of the end of Serena's career. Whether it's her decision or her body's decision I don't think she'll stick around if she starts losing. She's a champion and champions hate to lose.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I don't know. Fed is still around and he hasn't won a slam in years. I thought he would have walked away by now, but he's still around and can't really contend w/ Novak's level at this stage.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well, she made the final after 4 months off. I think she will be fine. This tournament was weird for Serena in that she started off playing decent and continued to improve, and she goes and loses that form a bit in the final. I think in a way not having that test she usually gets in the fourth round or the quarters worked against her this time. She didn't have that moment of shape up or ship out that usually wakes her up before a final. I suspect it will just make her work harder and aim high at the French. I suspect though this win will also inspire the rest of the tour, so Serena will have no choice but to improve.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
Well, she made the final after 4 months off. I think she will be fine. This tournament was weird for Serena in that she started off playing decent and continued to improve, and she goes and loses that form a bit in the final. I think in a way not having that test she usually gets in the fourth round or the quarters worked against her this time. She didn't have that moment of shape up or ship out that usually wakes her up before a final. I suspect it will just make her work harder and aim high at the French. I suspect though this win will also inspire the rest of the tour, so Serena will have no choice but to improve.

Thats what makes me think something is different. Last year it was that she played fairly bad through most of the slams and still pulled out a win. It makes me think its something like Fed where doubt started creeping in and other players took advantage of the tightness. Still Federer has Djokovic, Murray, and before Nadal to contend with. Serena doesn't exactly have the deepest bench of multiple slam winners to contend with. Im sure she'll still pull out two this year.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
kskate2 said:
I don't know. Fed is still around and he hasn't won a slam in years. I thought he would have walked away by now, but he's still around and can't really contend w/ Novak's level at this stage.

Different folks different strokes. I think Serena still has a lot of life to live outside tennis. Federer has a life outside tennis that basically waits for him. His wife and kids are his life outside tennis and they follow him on tour.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't know that it is that deep. I mean this was her first tournament back since leaving for a four month hiatus. That is a lot of pressure to make your first tournament back a slam and to show up playing well and defy expectations and become the favorite again.

She has the consummate coach who will analyze and help her get ready for the French and Wimbledon. I suspect she is going to need a bit of luck for #22 in that she doesn't land someone completely capable of wrecking her nerves in a final. I knew at 2-3 in the third when she lost that game she was more than likely not going to pull it out unless Kerber did a complete meltdown which she didn't.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I did not watch the match live. But, I woke up only at 7.15, disconnected myself from the world, and watched the match "live for me" in the ESPN2 rerun shown at 9 AM.

Hats off to Kerber for not letting the moment get to her and playing with superb composure and confidence. :clap :clap :clap She is just the 4th player to defeat Serena in GS final.

When Serena was at 17, she needed multiple attempts before reaching 18. The same story continues now. But, she WILL reach 22 sooner or later.

Also, congrats to Serena for being very sporty about the loss and going to Kerbie's side to
congratulate her.

Those two drop shots by Kerbie were superb. Also, the many passing shots were good too.

sk310

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I don't know that it is that deep. I mean this was her first tournament back since leaving for a four month hiatus. That is a lot of pressure to make your first tournament back a slam and to show up playing well and defy expectations and become the favorite again.

She has the consummate coach who will analyze and help her get ready for the French and Wimbledon. I suspect she is going to need a bit of luck for #22 in that she doesn't land someone completely capable of wrecking her nerves in a final. I knew at 2-3 in the third when she lost that game she was more than likely not going to pull it out unless Kerber did a complete meltdown which she didn't.

Its funny I actually thing for that nervy 22 it's actually easier for her to play someone like Maria. Someone like Kerber who she's only played 6 times and never in a final is more able to wipe the slate clean and play her without the baggage of nearly 20 losses in a row.