2014 Roland Garros SF: Nadal vs Murray

Who wins

• Total voters

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
DarthFed said:
Not sure why people expected anything different. Murray has done well in JUST getting to 2 SF's at RG (which isn't impressive in the least). He just isn't good on clay, doesn't even move that well on the surface. I do think he will be plenty good on grass, possibly the favorite even.

If you listen to commentators, you'd think he was so great on the surface! He's been close to winning in 1 or 2 of the clay semi's played, but no cigar! He definitely had no chance after wearing himself out in back to back 5 setters against "also-rans!" He should think of skipping the FO like I suggested for Roger! They are wasting their time idiots!

He has come close in a couple clay MS events. He has only made 2 RG semis and was routed by Nadal both times.

Murray still has yet to reach a final on clay in his career, still has yet to even beat a good player on clay in his career. That says it all.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Broken_Shoelace said:
To be honest I was hoping Murray would play better to see how would Nadal react, because for example, while Rafa's forehand was great throughout, he really didn't need to do much with the backhand. The way he hit it today, he gets clobbered against Novak.

We can only hope! If true, I'll die happy enough! :clap :angel:

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Not sure why people expected anything different. Murray has done well in JUST getting to 2 SF's at RG (which isn't impressive in the least). He just isn't good on clay, doesn't even move that well on the surface. I do think he will be plenty good on grass, possibly the favorite even.

Well, Murray has taken sets off of Rafa on clay before though. And when they played at Roland Garros before, a few years back, it was fairly competitive (though still straight sets). It's the lack of effort this time around that was surprising.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I hope so, we would finally get Novak to take Rafa to Denny's and serve him a Grand Slam breakfast!

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kirijax said:
Wow. What a pathetic performance by Murray. Just awful. Sure hope he finds that special coach to help him upstairs because he sure isn't going to do it with the staff he has now. No expectations for him now. Maybe he'll make the semis at Wimby. Nothing more. Not after what we saw today. Just a disgusting show today.

I'd rather watch the Italian Open final with Nole and Rafa on Tennis Channel! In the 2nd set; break to Nole! :clap :snigger :laydownlaughing :angel:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Garro said:
DarthFed said:

Well, Murray has taken sets off of Rafa on clay before though. And when they played at Roland Garros before, a few years back, it was fairly competitive (though still straight sets). It's the lack of effort this time around that was surprising.

Youzhny took a set off Nadal on clay this year, we are talking French Open semis.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Garro said:
DarthFed said:

After those back to back 5 setters, Murray was probably "dead man walking!" :nono :puzzled :s

tented

Administrator
Reactions
It's almost comical the way some of you are hoping for Rafa to lose -- as if anything else is going to happen. Have you not been watching tennis since April? Or even all year? Or do you need to fabricate the element of surprise for it to feel good? This tournament is over. Admit it.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ I'll be hoping for him to lose every match until he retires. Hell yeah it is good days when it happens. Just wish there were more of 'em.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I hate to sound like Darth, but there was only match that was relevant in this event from the start, and now it is about to happen. Gulbis had a nice run, but other than that there was literally nothing interesting or compelling about this particular French Open.

When it comes to Murray, we have to just acknowledge that he is a counter-puncher made for hard courts. He is not as talented a defender as Djokovic or Nadal, and he isn't assertive enough in taking control of points to really trouble Nadal on clay. His shots don't have the same zing or pop as Federer's or Djokovic's. His game is frankly quite bland. Plus, his first serve accomplishes nothing against Nadal on clay.

Time to move on to the one that counts.....they may as well have skipped the whole event and just played this one.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ I'll be hoping for him to lose every match until he retires. Hell yeah it is good days when it happens. Just wish there were more of 'em.

As long as you recognize there's no great mystery lurking here, I get it.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ You should try to sound like me more often, your post suddenly had a lot of logic to it :)

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
DarthFed said:

As long as you recognize there's no great mystery lurking here, I get it.

Rafa has trained you well. "I'm certainly the underdog, no" "I will have to play my best to have a chance, no"

Rafa has a good chance, he seemed to up the ante today and Nole did one of his walkabouts that hadn't been present most of the past few months.

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Youzhny took a set off Nadal on clay this year, we are talking French Open semis.

It wasn't losing in straights that was surprising, it was how it happened. I was expecting straight sets today, but competitive ones, like their match here three years ago. There's no excuse for Murray not to reach break point against Rafa period.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Garro said:
DarthFed said:

It wasn't losing in straights that was surprising, it was how it happened. I was expecting straight sets today, but competitive ones, like their match here three years ago. There's no excuse for Murray not to reach break point against Rafa period.

Only one on here went for a straight set decision in POLL! Just sent him a congrats! OMG, Rafa's hair isn't even wet! This must have been the easiest semi of his career here at RG! :nono :snigger :laydownlaughing

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well Darth, we don't always disagree. But when it comes to tennis nowadays, the younger generation is so bad and so effeminate that literally every significant event has only 2-4 contenders right now.

At least 5 years ago there were great, entertaining matches to look forward to throughout a tournament. Now there is nothing really until it is Djokovic-Nadal, unless Murray, Federer, or Delpo are having a great week.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
Well Darth, we don't always disagree. But when it comes to tennis nowadays, the younger generation is so bad and so effeminate that literally every significant event has only 2-4 contenders right now.

At least 5 years ago there were great, entertaining matches to look forward to throughout a tournament. Now there is nothing really until it is Djokovic-Nadal, unless Murray, Federer, or Delpo are having a great week.

To be fair, Murray is only knocked off the legit because this was clay and finding game since surgery, so I think for grass there are at least 3 serious contenders.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
To be fair, Murray is only knocked off the legit because this was clay and finding game since surgery, so I think for grass there are at least 3 serious contenders.

Agreed. Three, maybe four if Federer is in good enough form. Not to mention, there are way more chances for upsets.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Broken_Shoelace said:
Riotbeard said:

Agreed. Three, maybe four if Federer is in good enough form. Not to mention, there are way more chances for upsets.

No one more a Fed fan than me; the GOAT regardless of what others may say, but we have to let it go! Like Navratilova, he won't win forever! I see another upset! Martina was of course stronger than Roger and had potential well into her 30's, but she's the anomaly of her generation! He's a marked man now that he has such a large family; I think anyway!

R

Rose

What happened????? Andy at least took one set off Rafa in Rome and it was close it the last set.
And today nothing!

And I had looked forward so much to this Match and didn't get up in time to watch it :cover