US Politics Thread

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
What a turn of events!! You have Trump being exonerated for the most part, according to Barr's letter. Two days later, you have Michael Avenatti being charged with extortion and tax fraud. In addition, Avenatti's co-conspirator is a well known defence lawyer, Mark Geragos. Michael Avenatti is the same one who used to attack Michael Cohen over payment of hush money to prostitutes. Avenatti's former client, Stormie Daniels, has disowned him, accusing him of defrauding her.

Trump must be euphoric with all the positive news for him. I think he will not miss the opportunity to attack Avenatti. However, Mr Trump should not get too excited because the southern district of New York is already very busy investigating his white collar crimes.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The thing is even if the report comes out (it will take at least a month if not more), it would be like old news. The narrative has been set and people would move on. So, independent of any reality, Trump has definitely won big time.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The thing is even if the report comes out (it will take at least a month if not more), it would be like old news. The narrative has been set and people would move on. So, independent of any reality, Trump has definitely won big time.
Politically he has won big time. However, many experts have always said that the southern district of New York poses a bigger threat to Trump than Mueller. Even if he were found guilty by Mueller, the worst thing that could have happened to him is impeachment, and he would have survived it, with protection from the senate.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Politically he has won big time. However, many experts have always said that the southern district of New York poses a bigger threat to Trump than Mueller. Even if he were found guilty by Mueller, the worst thing that could have happened to him is impeachment, and he would have survived it, with protection from the senate.

SDNY will not prosecute him as long as he is the sitting president. All prosecutions will be delayed until Trump leaves office, which could potentially be six more years from now.

Finally, if slime ball John Edwards could get away with campaign finance law violation, why would not DJT not get away with it.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Am I the only one who suspects that there must have been some kerfuffle in DoJ to prompt Barr to send his second letter. It feels like the Mueller report is waaaaay worse than he originally made out. Hard to see how it doesn't come out eventually. I would have thought the sooner the better so that if possible the electorate can put it behind them before 2020. Stringing things along doesn't seem like the smart play to me. We all know Trump's not getting impeached. He could sodomise a poodle on Lexington Avenue and his base will just nod their heads...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Am I the only one who suspects that there must have been some kerfuffle in DoJ to prompt Barr to send his second letter. It feels like the Mueller report is waaaaay worse than he originally made out. Hard to see how it doesn't come out eventually. I would have thought the sooner the better so that if possible the electorate can put it behind them before 2020. Stringing things along doesn't seem like the smart play to me. We all know Trump's not getting impeached. He could sodomise a poodle on Lexington Avenue and his base will just nod their heads...

Today, the judiciary committee voted to subpoena the entire Muller Report along with the supporting documents. Even though the committee chair has the authority to subpoena (as the committee voted), he says he will wait for few days and see whether DoJ will give on its own. If not, he will use his authority.

But, this does not mean we will see the full report. The congress is not allowing DoJ to redact and give a sanitized report. They want to see unadulterated version.

Having said that people say the DoJ will not yield to the subpoena and go to court. There will be an extended battle in the court (possible going all the way to Bret Kavanugh) before the congress even potentially gets to see it. This process will take about 6 months at least.

In the meantime, a concise sanitized Muller report will come out on Apr. 15th. So, there will be more news cycles based on that.
Eventually when the real one comes out, even if does, it will be very old news.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Today, the judiciary committee voted to subpoena the entire Muller Report along with the supporting documents. Even though the committee chair has the authority to subpoena (as the committee voted), he says he will wait for few days and see whether DoJ will give on its own. If not, he will use his authority.

But, this does not mean we will see the full report. The congress is not allowing DoJ to redact and give a sanitized report. They want to see unadulterated version.

Having said that people say the DoJ will not yield to the subpoena and go to court. There will be an extended battle in the court (possible going all the way to Bret Kavanugh) before the congress even potentially gets to see it. This process will take about 6 months at least.

In the meantime, a concise sanitized Muller report will come out on Apr. 15th. So, there will be more news cycles based on that.
Eventually when the real one comes out, even if does, it will be very old news.
I generally agree with this. But rumours are now coming out, see the NYT, that members of the Special Counsel team are frustrated with the spin put on by the Barr letter. This is potentially explosive stuff. Nothing excites the public more than a cover up. That could reverse the whole Trump narrative now

Reactions: tented

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
jeepers! I want to believe this is true. But there's also an outside chance that this is retribution. Not sure too many Washington types, on both sides, have much love for him...

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
anyone read the palmer report website ?.

they claim trump has a pyrrhic victory, and mueller has all those sealed indictments handed over to other branches of justice as well as other stuff.

trump and his crimes/cronies will be outflanked and devoured by justice in the months ahead.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
anyone read the palmer report website ?.

they claim trump has a pyrrhic victory, and mueller has all those sealed indictments handed over to other branches of justice as well as other stuff.

trump and his crimes/cronies will be outflanked and devoured by justice in the months ahead.
Do you have a link to the website?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Do you have a link to the website?
no, my tech skills are too low :wacko: it is palmerreport.com.. its just a normal website though,

also has a twitter profile. its not a dodgy pishing site if thats a worry.

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Fascinating seeing the post-Mueller report goings on. I'm increasingly of the view that impeachment is inevitable. If the Democrats don't push forward with it, contrary to the calculations of their leadership, it could be very bad for them. They will in effect have permitted a massive change in what Presidential candidates, and Presidents can get away with. That would be a terrible thing. While I agree that Dems won the mid-terms with health care, there can't be any argument that acting as a check and balance was also an important ingredient. The Clinton example is not a valid reason to avoid this. For one thing, Clinton was considered a competent President, something that has never been a consideration for Trump. This level of malfeasance and blatant law breaking cannot be allowed to stand. The smart thing to do is bring as much of this stuff out into the open by getting witnesses to sit in front of Congress and then proceed inevitably on towards impeachment. Democratic Candidates should stay a million miles away from it though. Let Congress do it's job, but focus on every day issues in their campaigns

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Another sign that Dems might be mis-remembering the Clinton impeachment is that Newt Gingrich's infidelities came out just before the Presidential elections. The fact that Republicans barely lost any seats in the House in the mid-terms and at the general hints that Dems fears are probably over-blown. Clearly the electorate felt that Republicans lost the moral high ground when Gingrich's depravities were publicised. This fear is further put to the question when you consider that Ross Perot took a sizeable chunk of votes away from Bob Dole in that election. So it's far from clear that Clinton's victory was as clear cut as it looks like now

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
To be clear I’m not saying the impeachment was before the election. But it was clearly coming. Before I get called on that :D

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is the list of Democratic Presidential candidates...

1, Joe Biden
2, Eric Swalwell
3, Amy Klobuchar
4, Beto O'rourke
5, Corey Booker
6, Bernie Sanders
7, Pete Buttegieg
8, Kirsten Gillibrand
9, Andrew Yang
10, Tulsi Gabbard
11, Elizabeth Warren
12, Julian Castro
13, John Delaney
14, Kamala Harris
15, John Hickenlooper
16, Jay Inslee
17, Wayne Messam
18, Seth Moutlon
19, Tim Ryan
20, Marianne Williamson

and there are known to be a further 6 notables (including Bill de Blasio and John Kerry) who are considering running. Wow...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
This is the list of Democratic Presidential candidates...

1, Joe Biden
2, Eric Swalwell
3, Amy Klobuchar
4, Beto O'rourke
5, Corey Booker
6, Bernie Sanders
7, Pete Buttegieg
8, Kirsten Gillibrand
9, Andrew Yang
10, Tulsi Gabbard
11, Elizabeth Warren
12, Julian Castro
13, John Delaney
14, Kamala Harris
15, John Hickenlooper
16, Jay Inslee
17, Wayne Messam
18, Seth Moutlon
19, Tim Ryan
20, Marianne Williamson

and there are known to be a further 6 notables (including Bill de Blasio and John Kerry) who are considering running. Wow...

This is the realistic list of Democratic Presidential candidates (in alphabetical order):

1. Biden
2. Harris
3. Sanders

I’d love to add Buttigieg, but I don’t think he’ll make it in the top slot. My dream team (for now, at least) would be Harris/Buttigieg. They would have it all: female/male, black/white, straight/gay, coastal/midwest.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is the realistic list of Democratic Presidential candidates (in alphabetical order):

1. Biden
2. Harris
3. Sanders

I’d love to add Buttigieg, but I don’t think he’ll make it in the top slot. My dream team (for now, at least) would be Harris/Buttigieg. They would have it all: female/male, black/white, straight/gay, coastal/midwest.
It's funny before all of this happened I was a fan of both Tim Ryan and Seth Moulton, both of who seriously pissed me off with the Pelosi for Speaker vote. But Mayor Pete... I'm such a big fan. I do like Kamala as well

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Say what you like about the New York Times, not my favourite paper, but the one thing they do better than almost anyone else are their investigative pieces. This 2nd master piece, following the previous one revealing that Trump's father gave him over $400m, reveals what many of us suspected.... Trump is an absolute failure as a businessman. But what they reveal surpasses even my worst nightmares. I highly recommend the article. Absolutely stunning stuff. Forget about golden showers, it becomes increasingly obvious what the orange buffoon has been hiding, and what the nature of any compromat could be

Reactions: tented and Moxie
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46