WTA News & Gossip 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
No movement in the WTA Top Ten ( Monday 19th June)

A couple of new career highs WTA Top 100,
21. Potapova
31. Sherif
34. Kostyuk
77. Boutler
97 Mandlik ( top 100 debut)

Reactions: AnonymousFan

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Next WTA grass tournament is WTA500 BETT10PEN, Berlin, Germany commencing 19th June,
Top seeds are Sabalenka, Rybakina, Garcia, Jabeur ( defending champion), Gauff, Sakkari, Kvitova

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Just watching Venus match against Giorgi, Vee had a bad fall, on her knee had a MTO, was in tears sitting down, to her credit has played on with her leg heavily bandaged, she is serving to force a TB for the 1st set, Birmingham tournament.
Venus won the 1st set 76(5) BTW Venus can still rip a bh pass down the line!
Going 3 sets, as Giorgi won the 2nd set 64
Vee serving for the match 5-3 and was broken! sigh! back on serve in the 3rd set, Giorgi serving 4-5
5 games all 3rd set, match time nearly 3 hours.
Giorgi will now serve at 5-6 to force a TB in the 3rd set
TB for the 3rd set
In a match that went for just over 3 hours Venus Williams, who had a bad fall, on her knee, won in 3 sets over Giorgi 76(5) 46 76(6)

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The only thing that worries me is Vee had that bad fall, hopefully she will be okay for her next match
Venus the Warrior! well done Vee, not impressed with the way Giorgi carried on in the match, she can be a little bitch at times
Yes Giorgi can be miserable at times.I am so happy for Vee and a lot of these young players can learn a lot from Vee about tenacity and to never give up.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes Giorgi can be miserable at times.I am so happy for Vee and a lot of these young players can learn a lot from Vee about tenacity and to never give up.
Most players would have retired if they fell that way on their knee, grass can be very slippery, Vee dusted herself off and went back on court,and then didnt give up, even though she served for the match 5-3 in the 3rd set, never gave up, well deserved win from Vee

Reactions: tossip and Moxie

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Venus Williams,

" I haven't played her in so long. I think she loves this surface.She's dangerous out here"
"I hit some serves at 120mph today so I was like "Oh my god.There is is. I've missed you"

Always charming Venus!

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
In the WTA500 tournament BETT10PEN in Berlin, Germany,

Garcia (5), Kvitova (7) and Vekic won their matches in straight sets

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA 500 BETT10PENm Berlin, Germany,
Matches 20th June,

Sabalenka (1) vs V.Zvonareva
Rybakina (2) vs P.Kudermetova
O.Jabeur (4) Defending champion vs J.Niemeier
C.Gauff (5) vs K.Siniakova
M.Sakkari (6) vs A.Cornet
D.Kasatkina (8) vs E.Avanesyan

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Great news from Martina Navratilova ( via twitter)

" After a day full of tests at Sloan Kettering. I get the all clear!. Thank you to all the doctors, nurses, proton and radiation magicians etc - what a relief!
Bye Bye Cancer! ".

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
This is sad news, from Anett Kontaveit ( via twitter),

"Today I am announcing my career as a competitive athlete will be over,.I will retire from professional tennis after Wimbledon.
After several doctor's visits and consultations with my medical team, I have been advised that I have lumbar disc degeneration in my back. This does not allow for full scale training or continued competition. Therefore, it is impossible to continue at the top level in such a highly competitive field.I am ready for new challanges after my last effort as a professional tennis player, to enjoy the game and compete as hard as I can at Wimbledon. Thank you everyone for your continued support.
Anett Kontaveit

Last edited:

PhiEaglesfan712

Major Winner
Reactions
As if Swiatek wasn't already benefitting from the weakest era of women's tennis... In all seriousness, I hope for more technological advances so Anett Kontaveit can make a comeback at some point in the future. I'd love to see Anett randomly playing in 2027 and having the type of season Andy Murray is having right now.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
As if Swiatek wasn't already benefitting from the weakest era of women's tennis... In all seriousness, I hope for more technological advances so Anett Kontaveit can make a comeback at some point in the future. I'd love to see Anett randomly playing in 2027 and having the type of season Andy Murray is having right now.
You cant help your self having a dig at Swatek at times can you? it is becomg boring and tiresome quite frankly
BTW if anyone had a lumber back problem like Anett has she cannot play at a high level.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
The defending champion Ons Jabeur defeated in SS by Niemeier, who can be a dangerous player at the best of time, 76(4) 64 at the BETT10PEN Berlin tournament Niemeier is good on the grass, I would keep my eye out for her

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.