US Politics Thread

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
not supporting the left makes you the new right mate. That's the problem with cults. You're either with them or against them. I also get it both from the progressives and those on the right. It actually makes me feel good when both sides rail against me
It has to mean we’re doing something right. When political left start calling anyone who disagrees with them a bigot, a Nazi, they open the door for real Nazis, real bigots, to casually enter. Old style liberals and conservatives getting compared with Hitler? Then actual Nazis (who are very difficult to find, really) can cosy into the conversation because they’ve been compared with the likes of Sir Roger Scruton and George Will.

Feminists getting punched in the face by men in dresses and the left applauds, and calls them TERFs, as if that’s an insult and didn’t refer to the real feminists today. I think if you’re getting in the neck from both sides it’s because they don’t like that you think, and don’t understand what you think..

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It has to mean we’re doing something right. When political left start calling anyone who disagrees with them a bigot, a Nazi, they open the door for real Nazis, real bigots, to casually enter. Old style liberals and conservatives getting compared with Hitler? Then actual Nazis (who are very difficult to find, really) can cosy into the conversation because they’ve been compared with the likes of Sir Roger Scruton and George Will.

Feminists getting punched in the face by men in dresses and the left applauds, and calls them TERFs, as if that’s an insult and didn’t refer to the real feminists today. I think if you’re getting in the neck from both sides it’s because they don’t like that you think, and don’t understand what you think..
100%

I was always so terrified about the excesses of the right. Now we see in the UK, banks have been stealthily shutting the accounts whose political beliefs they disagree with. I'm sure you realise these are folks who have anti-woke views. Read the small print and you see they include what they find in your social media postings as part of their decision making process. It's absolutely terrifying, particularly in a country that makes it increasingly trying make transactions cashless. Say what you want about the right, but they've never done stuff like this before. I thought Trudeau de-banking Canadian truck drivers in Canada was extreme, now we find it's happening in liberal democracies around the world.

Reactions: Kieran

tented

Administrator
Reactions
100%

I was always so terrified about the excesses of the right. Now we see in the UK, banks have been stealthily shutting the accounts whose political beliefs they disagree with. I'm sure you realise these are folks who have anti-woke views. Read the small print and you see they include what they find in your social media postings as part of their decision making process. It's absolutely terrifying, particularly in a country that makes it increasingly trying make transactions cashless. Say what you want about the right, but they've never done stuff like this before. I thought Trudeau de-banking Canadian truck drivers in Canada was extreme, now we find it's happening in liberal democracies around the world.
Are you referring to the Triggernometry guys?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Are you referring to the Triggernometry guys?
There was that, and Nigel Farage had his account closed by the bank to the King, Coutts Bank. That caused a bit of a stir because there’s the suggestion that it’s because his values didn’t align with theirs. What a banks values might be is anybody’s guess. Coutts may now have to appear before a parliamentary committee to explain themselves..

Reactions: tented

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
This is genius! And he’s right. If you want to identify as a man you need to accept the responsibilities of a man..

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
This is genius! And he’s right. If you want to identify as a man you need to accept the responsibilities of a man..

But…but…but how can they get any attention for themselves if they’re busy serving and helping others? It makes no sense!

:lulz1:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Don’t you see, you’re the one in the echo chamber? You’re reciting talking points from the Dems in every political or social discussion. I can’t think of a single gender or race fad that you’ve shown any critical analysis of. You seem to just accept that your side are the good guys, and what they do is good.

I have no political affiliation. I subscribe to Leonard Cohen’s lines in that regard: I’m neither left or right, I’m just staying home tonight, getting lost in that hopeless little screen. I take each issue on its merits and see where that gets me. A plague on all of those who identify with the left or the right! They’re the ones who cause all the trouble. We should have open minds..
Federberg posted a tweet and asked if it was "fake news," so I looked it up. Turns out, it kind of was. I posted, without editorializing, the difference between the facts and the tweet. Any comment on that? Any further discussion of what California might be able to say about their updated text books, how they present their history for the sake of a social studies text, or as to what the parents might have to say, since most didn't support the position of the school board?

No, just the requisite telling me off for what I think...as if you know. Why even post something if it's not up for discussion? This thread is clearly not open to discussion. Someone posts something, however vague and erroneous, and everyone gives it a like and moves on. Should someone else someone drop in to inquire further, torches get raised.

Last edited:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Federberg posted a tweet and asked if it was "fake news," so I looked it up. Turns out, it kind of was. I posted, without editorializing, the difference between the facts and the tweet. Any comment on that?
No comment on that. No interest in it.
Any further discussion of what California might be able to say about their updated text books, how they present their history for the sake of a social studies text, or as to what the parents might have to say, since most didn't support the position of the school board?
Nope. Apart from the fact that it seems the threat of a hefty fine is their main arguing tool. However I think the school board are wise if they reject anything for the curriculum that’s proposed by Democrats if it has anything to do with race or gender, even tangentially.
No, just the requisite telling me off for what I think...as if you know. Why even post something if it's not up for discussion? This thread is clearly not open to discussion. Someone posts something, however vague and erroneous, and everyone gives it a like and moves on. Should someone else someone drop in to inquire further, torches get raised.
I pointed out the irony of you complaining about ‘activists’ on the school board, which was a valid observation. You have no issue with activists generally, when they’re trying to overthrow the system and destroy children etc, but these people you dismiss as activists, because they disagree with your lot, though they seem to have a valid grievance.

You take offence at me saying that you’re in an echo chamber, but as long as you turn a blind eye to the lefts lunacies, act as if it’s wrong to question them, then what are we to think?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
No, just the requisite telling me off for what I think...as if you know.
always the victim. You feel it's ok to be directly insulting with others, but as soon as people just disagree with your view - even if they don't insult you - you play the victim card. I have to say.. you're utterly pathetic, and that type of behaviour is exactly what's wrong with the world today

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know this will be a challenge for you, but try... try hard not to be an asshole. A simple answer was all that was required.

By the way I've posted things from multiple sources. Many don't meet your approval. I'm glad. It means I'm doing something right. As it happens that tweet was forwarded to me, so you know what to do with yourself :)
You could try not being an asshole, as well. Excuse me for mentioning the source. Is that forbidden? I thought we cared about such things, around here. OK, fine, it was forwarded to you. You're absolved.

You asked if that was fake, and I looked into it. Rather than continue the discussion, you (and others) made it about me. (And then you tell me I'm just a crybaby and victim. And "pathetic," which you seem to use a lot. Thanks.) Are you interested at all in textbooks in California, their content and what that means? If not, why did you post it? There has been zero discussion about it since I fact-checked it. I'm not trying to be a "gotcha." I'm saying that that tweet was misleading, and erroneous and you were the one asking if it was. I thought that might forward the discussion. Sadly, it did not, except for Britbox's contributions about Milk, which I don't think are the end of the discussion. There seems to be a lot of concern about "erasing" people and history in the zeitgeist. Should Harvey Milk be "erased," because apparently he is the reason for the controversy in California social studies texts. Is teaching that he existed, and worked in government, and was assassinated as a public figure in California something like pushing an LGTB+ agenda? Do you want to discuss things, or do you just want to post controversial stuff and then leave it hanging?

Last edited:

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
You could try not being an asshole, as well. Excuse me for mentioning the source. Is that forbidden? I thought we cared about such things, around here. OK, fine, it was forwarded to you. You're absolved.

You asked if that was fake, and I looked into it. Rather than continue the discussion, you (and others) made it about me. (And then you tell me I'm just a crybaby and victim. And "pathetic," which you seem to use a lot. Thanks.) Are you interested at all in textbooks in California, their content and what that means? If not, why did you post it? There has been zero discussion about it since I fact-checked it. I'm not trying to be a "gotcha." I'm saying that that tweet was misleading, and erroneous and you were the one asking if it was. I thought that might forward the discussion. Sadly, it did not, except for Britbox's contributions about Milk, which I don't think are the end of the discussion. There seems to be a lot of concern about "erasing" people and history in the zeitgeist. Should Harvey Milk be "erased," because apparently he is the reason for the controversy in California social studies texts. Is teaching that he existed, and worked in government, and was assassinated as a public figure in California something like pushing an LGTB+ agenda? Do you want to discuss things, or do you just want to post controversial stuff and then leave it hanging?
There you go with the whining again. You literally can’t help yourself. You’re a grown assed woman. I can’t believe you’ve lived this long and don’t seem to understand that responding “maybe try getting your news from something other than twitter” was extra. Simply no reason for it other than your feelings.

There was nothing wrong with mentioning the source but you know this. This is the juvenile game you play. For some bizarre reason you seem to think you’re allowed to be an a-hole to others, yet you want folks to respond like you only eat buttermilk. Adjust your behaviour if you want better treatment. What are you a 6 year old princess??

The rest of what you wrote was interesting but I’m done giving you a pass.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There you go with the whining again. You literally can’t help yourself. You’re a grown assed woman. I can’t believe you’ve lived this long and don’t seem to understand that responding “maybe try getting your news from something other than twitter” was extra. Simply no reason for it other than your feelings.

There was nothing wrong with mentioning the source but you know this. This is the juvenile game you play. For some bizarre reason you seem to think you’re allowed to be an a-hole to others, yet you want folks to respond like you only eat buttermilk. Adjust your behaviour if you want better treatment. What are you a 6 year old princess??

The rest of what you wrote was interesting but I’m done giving you a pass.
Why not just debate the point? It's not "giving me a pass" to have the conversation, since you thought some of it was interesting. Give it a try. You're the one who brought it up. Don't drop it.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Why not just debate the point? It's not "giving me a pass" to have the conversation, since you thought some of it was interesting. Give it a try. You're the one who brought it up. Don't drop it.
Lol! We’ve been debating for nearly two decades. I know you’re trolling right now. I find it amusing.

My only interest was for Californian Democrats to not be as politically deranged as the tweet seemed to imply. For my part there was nothing to debate. Single party rule is a difficult thing. Democrats seem to find it harder than Republicans to perpetuate common sense legislation. If the GOP had small d democratic candidates I would be eating popcorn anticipating the coming collapse of single party rule. But that’s not the world we live in

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Lol! We’ve been debating for nearly two decades. I know you’re trolling right now. I find it amusing.
I don't think I'm trolling. I think I have a place in the conversation, whether you think I do or not.
My only interest was for Californian Democrats to not be as politically deranged as the tweet seemed to imply. For my part there was nothing to debate. Single party rule is a difficult thing. Democrats seem to find it harder than Republicans to perpetuate common sense legislation. If the GOP had small d democratic candidates I would be eating popcorn anticipating the coming collapse of single party rule. But that’s not the world we live in
The California Democrats were not, apparently, as "deranged" as the tweet seemed to imply, if you read what I posted as additional information. So I guess that satisfied your interest? I'm not sure what you mean about "single" party rule? Do you mean in California...because there are plenty of Republicans out there. IMO, you're avoiding the point of what you posted. You were worried that the textbooks were promoting an LGBTQ agenda, and that wasn't it, at all. Or I thought you implied that. Now you say there's nothing to debate. Is that because the Temecula School Board is wrong, and now you're fine with that? You're OK with the fine imposed by the state? Or maybe, now that you see that it's not as crazy as you thought, you don't care anymore. I'm cool with that. It's just that something got your knickers in a twist, originally, and it wasn't something as vague and general as "single party rule," let's face it. Or if it was, that post was a less-than coherent way of expressing it. One might be forgiven for misunderstanding your intent.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The single best post I’ve ever read in the 15 or so years I‘ve been on tennis sites is still this jewel by @britbox :

“Debate the post, not the poster.”

I can’t think of a single example of someone changing their mind while being yelled at, insulted, treated condescendingly, or engaging in ad hominem attacks.

And I know you’re all fully capable of discussing topics without stooping to these levels — something, I think, many of us have done at some point, myself included.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mrzz World Affairs 2449
T World Affairs 13
britbox World Affairs 82
britbox World Affairs 1004
britbox World Affairs 46