US Open Day 2: Tuesday, August 27 - Order of Play

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Hey, stuff happens...the boy will learn. At least the guy was in a gym, you know.

Hey don't get me wrong, he can be very exciting. But I feel you have to earn the right to be
cocky.

Eastern forehand grip....gotta love it!

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Luxilon Borg said:
1972Murat said:
Hey, stuff happens...the boy will learn. At least the guy was in a gym, you know.

Hey don't get me wrong, he can be very exciting. But I feel you have to earn the right to be
cocky.

Eastern forehand grip....gotta love it!

I agree with you. I think I have used pretty much the same sentence when he gave that presser while back, talking smack about Roger and some others...I am just excusing him for today.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Broken_Shoelace said:
Front242 said:
And Janowicz lost way too early for my liking :(

It's particularly shocking because he's got better shots than Nadal on hard courts.

Yeah, Cali did imply that Rafa couldn't match JJ strokes and etc.. BTW.. where is Cali.. He got a lot of "bills" to pay this past few weeks on the board.. Has Cali turned Aussie and gone Walkabout!!:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing:laydownlaughing

He didn't imply it. He said it. I quote: "Janowicz has better shots than Nadal on hard courts."

Anyway, Cali's still here. He was posting yesterday.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think he was suggesting that just about all of them have better shot making ability than nadal.

evidently all anybody needs is a lot of "stamina" in tennis according to him.

if that was the case, some of those elite tour de france cyclists who are starving to death should pick up a tennis racquet.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
Clay Death said:
I think he was suggesting that just about all of them have better shot making ability than nadal.

evidently all anybody needs is a lot of "stamina" in tennis according to him.

if that was the case, some of those elite tour de france cyclists who are starving to death should pick up a tennis racquet.

Nick Saviano talks about "tennis specific" athleticism. If it were just stamina then marathon runners would be winning slams.

I will go on record Clay Death as saying that at his VERY BEST, I believe Nadal is an unbeatable tennis player, on any surface. I also believe he has the best forehand in tennis. I have studied Nadals game
and I have my theories about his approach,weaknesses, strengths etc. I also read his book.;)

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nadal has the greatest forehand ever seen in the history of the sport. that much should be clear to anybody who knows the game and understands it well.

he has some difficulties with it on quicker surfaces because of the sheer mechanics of it.

it is such a stroke that it requires more time to fully execute it properly. he simply does not have that time on the quicker courts.

still he tries hard and does well.

there are players who have hit more explosive forehands: gonzo, roger, del potro, and now nole.

but none as deadly as nadal`s forehand because he adds the element of consistency to it. and he too can hit it at 100+ MPH. and with ridiculous amount of spin never ever seen before.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
1972Murat said:
Luxilon Borg said:
1972Murat said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Here is my theory on Jersey. His game is considerably different from that of
most players. It is made up of huge serves and excessive drop shots. As a result,
his opponents who do not do any scouting will be in for a rude shock and will
lose quickly before they can adapt. He basically broke in by reaching the final
of Paris Indoors Masters last year. Now that it is almost an year since then,
everybody is aware of his game. So, the novelty is worn off and people are
able to deal with him.

Gents, take it easy on JJ. He had a back injury today , a bad one. He actually served underhand at some point. So whatever his issues are, this loss is not because of those.

Eh, I go by the old Aussie philosophy. You NEVER come to the court with excuses. They would say if you are FIT, you PLAY, and if you are NOT fit, you DO NOT PLAY.

Save the hanky...

There is something to be said about that philosophy. On the other hand, there is also something to be said about going out there, knowing you are not %100 but still giving it your best shot. I am sure Aussies would dig that too, no? ;)

No, they would not..unless it was a Wimbledon final. Not even close.

Funny, I don't remember Connors, Borg, Mac, Lendl, Becker, Sampras, Agassi, all the way on up to Joker, Nadal, Fed "hurting themselves in the gym" two days before a slam.

I see playing it fast and loose here. Jersey boy better get professional.

ummmm wrong :huh:..

borg hurt his shoulder before the u s open once, McEnroe had sore calfs or hamstrings running backwards on steps before the 1987 french open, lost in 1st rd, withdrew from Wimbledon..

and jj hurt his back here.

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
Luxilon Borg said:
1972Murat said:
Luxilon Borg said:
1972Murat said:
Gents, take it easy on JJ. He had a back injury today , a bad one. He actually served underhand at some point. So whatever his issues are, this loss is not because of those.

Eh, I go by the old Aussie philosophy. You NEVER come to the court with excuses. They would say if you are FIT, you PLAY, and if you are NOT fit, you DO NOT PLAY.

Save the hanky...

There is something to be said about that philosophy. On the other hand, there is also something to be said about going out there, knowing you are not %100 but still giving it your best shot. I am sure Aussies would dig that too, no? ;)

Funny, I don't remember Connors, Borg, Mac, Lendl, Becker, Sampras, Agassi, all the way on up to Joker, Nadal, Fed "hurting themselves in the gym" two days before a slam.

borg hurt his shoulder before the u s open once, McEnroe had sore calfs or hamstrings running backwards on steps before the 1987 french open, lost in 1st rd, withdrew from Wimbledon..

How about checking the facts..Borg hurt his shoulder before the 77 French and withdrew..He won Wimbledon that year. He retired at the 77 US Open in the FOURTH rd at one set all against Stockton due to the shoulder. It was an over use injury, not from the gym. According to the book he spent a ton of time beefing up his serve and pushed his shoulder over the edge.

Mac withdrew from Wimbledon due a chronic back problem. I don't think hamstrings were his issue at the French. He barely won a match there after 1985, if any.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I just looked at the draw. With JJ out, and Gulbis out yesterday, Ferrer's path to the QFs should be totally clear. Then either Gasquet, Raonic, or possibly Feliciano Lopez makes up the other half of that QF?

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Clay Death said:
nadal has the greatest forehand ever seen in the history of the sport. that much should be clear to anybody who knows the game and understands it well.

he has some difficulties with it on quicker surfaces because of the sheer mechanics of it.

And that's exactly why Federer, in his prime, had the superior forehand. It didn't suffer on any surface.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
I just looked at the draw. With JJ out, and Gulbis out yesterday, Ferrer's path to the QFs should be totally clear. Then either Gasquet, Raonic, or possibly Feliciano Lopez makes up the other half of that QF?
ridiculous.

could be the third time Ferru advances to the USO quarters (and semis), second in a row. first time around (2007), he made it facing somewhat bigger names, though.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
Moxie629 said:
ridiculous.

could be the third time Ferru advances to the USO quarters (and semis), second in a row. first time around (2007), he made it facing somewhat bigger names, though.

I'm not sure if you mean "ridiculous" in a good or bad way. Either way, he's #4 in the world, and he's always played well on HCs, so it's not so shocking.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
^ i meant ridiculous as to whow soft (as you put it) this quarter has become. not ridiculous at all that Ferrer makes it to QFs and SFs at the USO, that part was just an observation on the side.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Hello everyone from my vacation in Romania, so nice to be back home again!
I saw only one match yesterday, live, JJ vs. Gonzalez.
JJ had some serious back issues, as he was serving around 200-210. instead of avg. 230 as he usually does.
He also had been massaged on his lower back, in the middle of the second set.
I hope he doesn't develop some chronicle issues so early in his career.

Good luck to my boyz and cheers everyone!

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
good to see you, enjoy the homecation. but as to serve speed - 230? km per hour? on average? (for you non-metrics - 242 mph) he'd have won a slam or two with that by now. conversion trouble, or do you mean that he only had highs of 200-210? ;)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
good to see you, enjoy the homecation. but as to serve speed - 230? km per hour? on average? (for you non-metrics - 242 mph) he'd have won a slam or two with that by now. conversion trouble, or do you mean that he only had highs of 200-210? ;)

I was talking about the first serve speed. That is his biggest weapon, usually. Yes. the commentators mentioned Jerzy was unable to serve faster than 210 yesterday.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
Luxilon Borg said:
1972Murat said:
Luxilon Borg said:

Save the hanky...

How about checking the facts..Borg hurt his shoulder before the 77 French and withdrew..He won Wimbledon that year. He retired at the 77 US Open in the FOURTH rd at one set all against Stockton due to the shoulder. It was an over use injury, not from the gym. According to the book he spent a ton of time beefing up his serve and pushed his shoulder over the edge.

Mac withdrew from Wimbledon due a chronic back problem. I don't think hamstrings were his issue at the French. He barely won a match there after 1985, if any.

how about you learn to read, I was right then..he hurt his shoulder before the u s open,,so what if he didn't hurt it in the gym, and McEnroe said he hurt the way I stated.

according to 3 or 4 articles borg missed the 1977 frenCh owing to his contract to WTT ???