US OPEN 2018, Flushing Meadows, NY, USA, GRAND SLAM (Women)

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
She's box office! Sells tickets, puts bums on seats and brings in viewing figures... and she's a former champ.
Kind of strange. On a personal level I don’t enjoy watching her, and most people I talk to about tennis do not like watching her either. I think it is the tournament organizers who seem to think that people like to watch Sharapova.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
She's box office! Sells tickets, puts bums on seats and brings in viewing figures... and she's a former champ.
I think this was true before the doping scandal. I've noticed alot of her matches are not crowded stadiums. She was on Armstrong Tues night and it was half full. Same thing last night. Alot of people left after the Djoke match and the stadium was over half empty. I also noticed on TV a few times since she's come back from the ban, when they showed the stadium on screen and it wasn't full.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
They bring Sharapova on Ashe and she makes 5 double faults in one game. Tough to watch. What do the organizers really like about Sharapova?

I think one of the reasons they are doing it early on these days is that they know she won't last long. If they don't put her on Ashe early on, they may not get another chance later on to put her there (as she would have been sent home by somebody or other).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kai Kanepi ran into two no name players after upsetting Halep. But, instead of folding in the next round(s) against no name players (like many who create great upsets do), kept winning. I only know the last name of her next opponent and not the first name. This means end of road K^2. :cool:

Reactions: AnonymousFan

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I'm still thinking Serena takes her... but Vee might grab a set.

Absolutely prophetic! What happened? Serena supposedly hurt but still skunked her sister! Vee should open a nail salon and leave the tennis to the "Next Gen!" She still ranked up there, but she should expect more than this kind of effort! :whistle: :nono: :facepalm: :eek: :rolleyes:

AnonymousFan

Major Winner
Reactions
Saturday's Ostapenko Sharapova and Kvitova Sabalenka interesting on paper

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Day 5 Results Recap

RA0AAVx.png

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena has that serve and return gelling very nicely. I think that win over Venus will do wonders for Serena in the confidence department as Serena holds her sister as the bar. I am glad she is finally doing what she should be doing keeping the points short. I feel moving forward that is what she and Patrick should be doing working on tactics to keep the points short. Most of these girls are content to rally, and Serena her fitness still isn’t where I would say it needs to be to rally consistently. This is where a Kerber gets her extending the points take that away from her.

Reactions: Jelenafan

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m guessing Sponsors like NIKE are the ones that really favor Sharapova, thus her night matches.

Night sessions at Arthur Ashe are going to be full regardless and in fact I think all those sellout year after year; though many of the better seats go wanting because corporate bigwigs don’t show up.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Serena has that serve and return gelling very nicely. I think that win over Venus will do wonders for Serena in the confidence department as Serena holds her sister as the bar. I am glad she is finally doing what she should be doing keeping the points short. I feel moving forward that is what she and Patrick should be doing working on tactics to keep the points short. Most of these girls are content to rally, and Serena her fitness still isn’t where I would say it needs to be to rally consistently. This is where a Kerber gets her extending the points take that away from her.

Sometimes it seems like a point of honor with Serena to show how fit she is. Loved the strategy against Vee of pulling the trigger sooner than later.

With her serve and ROS it’s crazy to get into long extended rallies..

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Sometimes it seems like a point of honor with Serena to show how fit she is. Loved the strategy against Vee of pulling the trigger sooner than later.

With her serve and ROS it’s crazy to get into long extended rallies..

Oh Serena certainly can rally, but I think the days of doing it consistently are over if she wants to really extend her tennis life and make the most of her time and stay healthy. The wear and tear will get you, and at her age it will hit sooner rather than later if she doesn’t keep the points relatively short.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kerber has considerably lost weight the last two years.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Kerber has considerably lost weight the last two years.
She went through some personal issue last year which is why her ranking tumbled. That may have caused her to lose some weight