Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2016 Edition

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I hope Serena sees the way her draw could have been and the way it is shaping up as an opportunity and she fights for this tournament.

Truth be told her draw opened up really nicely in Paris and she botched that opportunity.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena was messed up by the scheduling in Paris,she played four successive days.Muguruza had perfect scheduling and met a tired Serena in the final...

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't think Serena was tired from the scheduling in Paris. She had better stats than Muguruza in everything but break chances in Paris. Unfortunately, Serena botched on her serve when it mattered most in Paris.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena wrote something that alluded to the fact that she was messed up by scheduling...something like she played 4 days in a row in the bitter cold whereas Muguruza got the better part of the scheduling....maybe she was mentally exhausted too.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah but Muguruza had 9 df and -7 differential in winners to errors where Serena had 4 df and +1 differential. If you think of it another way, Muguruza essentially gifted Serena 4 games worth of points, and Serena couldn't take advantage. That isn't tired that is just Serena screwing up because if she had just maybe shown a bit more assertiveness and given Muguruza a different look and something to think about it could have possibly turned out differently.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena doesn't hit the ball hard enough last few slams. She's playing very timid passive tennis in finals due to nerves. I'd actually back her to lose every slam final she plays until I see any sign of improvement but she's not likely to get better with age. She's played some very poor finals last year or so.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I don't know about that all of her errors are from her really trying to end the point early for the most part. Unfortunately, I don't know where Mackie is to work on that footwork, but she has been trying to hit winners out of position all year. She can get away with this from most players, but for those who have game or great footwork and are game to take it to her she most definitely can't and panics as of late.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
poor footwork is her Achilles Heel..

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
if Venus reaches the final against Serena...its a possibility

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:

Both sisters will have to play smart, serve big and keep their feet moving to force the younger generation of players to over hit and commit UFEs to reach the Finals again

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
tossip said:

Both sisters will have to play smart, serve big and keep their feet moving to force the younger generation of players to over hit and commit UFEs to reach the Finals again
Venus has a chance here to win Wimbledon...to me she is playing better than Serena,she moves better on this surface.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
the AntiPusher said:
tossip said:

Venus has a chance here to win Wimbledon...to me she is playing better than Serena,she moves better on this surface.

I doubt Venus will be able to win against Serena. Surely, Venus moves better. However, both Serena's serve and return of serve are so good at the moment, a slight disadvantage in movement would not hurt.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
no matter what happens Venus is an inspiration,with all she has been through..