Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2015 Edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
I am upset that Isner is yet again involved in a marathon.

The only way Isner can get to second week of Wimbledon is by continuing this match for one more day :snicker

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
britbox said:
Read his first post again.

You might revisit it, as well:

"We will discuss other potential upsets as they come nearby (although the second round upset is mouthwatering Devil)." Care to guess what match he meant? It can't have escaped your notice that GSM doesn't actually champion a player, he merely campaigns for the downfall of Nadal. I suppose that is his right, but it is puny, and slithery. He's never missed a dig he thought he could make, and yet I don't quite know who he's a fan of. :s

I know your guy lost it. But, please, you don't lose it as well.:chillout: After a few days, when you read your own post, you will hopefully realize how ridiculous it is. First, everybody knows who I am a fan of. Second, you are crossing the line and attacking the poster instead of the post. :nono Third, in case you have not realized this is a general upset thread and there are lots of posts discussing various other upsets. Hope you get back to senses in a few days.

GSM, I slept on it, and I stand by my position. You have been following Nadal around this whole year with baited breath anticipating when he'll go out, gaming every possible match. I actually did attack your thread, calling it "puny and slithery." I didn't say you were. But it's far from ridiculous to point out that you are more about Rafa losing than Roger or anyone else winning, for a really long time now. You even said that your main motivation for watching the FO was to see Nadal lose. (And as I pointed out above, your OP mentioned "2nd round," and forgive me if I was mistaken, and you were thinking that Lopez or Murray or Federer might be upset. :angel: )

If you really want to be that person, it's on you, but don't act like your motivations are exactly pure, or that I just dumped on you because Rafa lost. Seriously, dude...you don't even try not to be transparent.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
You might revisit it, as well:

"We will discuss other potential upsets as they come nearby (although the second round upset is mouthwatering Devil)." Care to guess what match he meant? It can't have escaped your notice that GSM doesn't actually champion a player, he merely campaigns for the downfall of Nadal. I suppose that is his right, but it is puny, and slithery. He's never missed a dig he thought he could make, and yet I don't quite know who he's a fan of. :s

I know your guy lost it. But, please, you don't lose it as well.:chillout: After a few days, when you read your own post, you will hopefully realize how ridiculous it is. First, everybody knows who I am a fan of. Second, you are crossing the line and attacking the poster instead of the post. :nono Third, in case you have not realized this is a general upset thread and there are lots of posts discussing various other upsets. Hope you get back to senses in a few days.

GSM, I slept on it, and I stand by my position. You have been following Nadal around this whole year with baited breath anticipating when he'll go out, gaming every possible match. I actually did attack your thread, calling it "puny and slithery." I didn't say you were. But it's far from ridiculous to point out that you are more about Rafa losing than Roger or anyone else winning, for a really long time now. You even said that your main motivation for watching the FO was to see Nadal lose. (And as I pointed out above, your OP mentioned "2nd round," and forgive me if I was mistaken, and you were thinking that Lopez or Murray or Federer might be upset. :angel: )

If you really want to be that person, it's on you, but don't act like your motivations are exactly pure, or that I just dumped on you because Rafa lost. Seriously, dude...you don't even try not to be transparent.

1. Response to bolded part: I never said my main motivation for watching FO was to see Nadal lose.
I said I wanted to make sure that I watch every match that Rafa plays there, so as not to miss the historic moment of Rafa losing at RG.

2. Response to italics part: The mouthwatering possible 2nd round upset I was talking about was of course Brown taking out Rafa. This is a thread for upsets. We talk about possible upsets. In fact, in the OP I even talked about the possibility of Novak being taken out by Kohli and Tsonga being taken out by Muller (both are still in the draw). However, the moment Rafa lost you are posting a wise crack that this thread should be closed as my purpose has served. Rafa himself admits that "life goes on" even after he loses. There will be upsets after that as well. In fact, today we had two upsets. Also, I have a similar upset thread in the WTA forum as well. Obviously, Rafa's upset will get more coverage than others as it is high profile. That will be the case in the press as well as by posters around here.

3. I don't feel a necessity for me to prove to you that I am a Fed fan by posting an essay on Fed everyday. I will do so, how and when I want to do it. Also, being a Fed fan does not mean I will blindly support all his actions like Nadalites do.

p.s. It is funny that you think I am the cause of Rafa's loss. I wish I had so much power. :lolz:
You should consult Kirijax's thread on how to cope with your fav's loss and pick a method that suits you. :snicker

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

1. Response to bolded part: I never said my main motivation for watching FO was to see Nadal lose.
I said I wanted to make sure that I watch every match that Rafa plays there, so as not to miss the historic moment of Rafa losing at RG.

2. Response to italics part: The mouthwatering possible 2nd round upset I was talking about was of course Brown taking out Rafa. This is a thread for upsets. We talk about possible upsets. In fact, in the OP I even talked about the possibility of Novak being taken out by Kohli and Tsonga being taken out by Muller (both are still in the draw). However, the moment Rafa lost you are posting a wise crack that this thread should be closed as my purpose has served. Rafa himself admits that "life goes on" even after he loses. There will be upsets after that as well. In fact, today we had two upsets. Also, I have a similar upset thread in the WTA forum as well. Obviously, Rafa's upset will get more coverage than others as it is high profile. That will be the case in the press as well as by posters around here.

3. I don't feel a necessity for me to prove to you that I am a Fed fan by posting an essay on Fed everyday. I will do so, how and when I want to do it. Also, being a Fed fan does not mean I will blindly support all his actions like Nadalites do.

p.s. It is funny that you think I am the cause of Rafa's loss. I wish I had so much power. :lolz:
You should consult Kirijax's thread on how to cope with your fav's loss and pick a method that suits you. :snicker

I appreciate your reply. I don't want it to be acrimonious, and I don't want to be taken for a poor sport, so I will respond to your points:

1. Actually, you did say that your #1 reason for watching the FO was to see Nadal lose:
http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3796&page=7
You said you would watch the matches of Rafa, Novak, Andy and Federer, in that order. (Your words. See post #127.)

2. We've never had a post for upsets, and it's not a bad idea. I suggested that you had an ulterior motive, but my "wise-crack" (and it was) was just to poke at you for getting what you wanted out of the thread. I don't think you seriously thought that Novak was going down early. Come on.

3. I would think mentioning Fed once in a while would be helpful, rather than just jabbing at Nadal. I sincerely had lost track of who you liked in the tsunami of who you didn't.

PS: I don't think you caused Nadal's loss to Brown, and I'm pretty sure I never implied that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
1. Where did I say, that is the #1 reason for watching FO? Read through the post you are quoting a again and don't put words in my mouth. Yes, I said I would watch matches of Rafa, Novak, Andy and Federer in that order. Why I would I want to miss a historic event, that is why Rafa was first on it.

2. You are wrong again. I had created such an upset thread for last year's USO as well. If you can recall, Rafa did not even play in last year's USO. Because of your obsession with Rafa and your inability to cope up with his losses, in your mind you are thinking as though this whole thread was created to monitor Rafa losing. Get over it. It is far from truth.

Let me go on record here that I thoroughly enjoyed Rafa's loss at Wimby this year. I make no bones of it. I enjoyed it more than his previous Wimbledon losses of 2012, 2013 and 2014. I also enjoyed it more than his 2015 RG loss. The reason is not just the fact that he lost, but the manner in which he was totally taken out of his comfort zone. You should read the ESPN article posted in Day 4 thread.

It looks to me that you are now descending to the levels of Dominatrix Fans who used to complain that posters are insulting her. Do not expect everybody to constantly appreciate your guy or always wish for his success. If so, you might instead want to join a Rafa Fan Club on the internet where I am sure you will be exposed to only like minded folks with whom you can commiserate.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Look, you spend a lot of effort being an "anti-Nadal," so let's not try to put lipstick on that pig. As I've said, you're within your rights, but most of us stick to our fan bases, and don't need to make so much effort denigrating the others. The odd snark is expected, but you are non-stop. You should take ownership of it. Why not? It's who you are.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
^ Look, you spend a lot of effort being an "anti-Nadal," so let's not try to put lipstick on that pig. As I've said, you're within your rights, but most of us stick to our fan bases, and don't need to make so much effort denigrating the others. The odd snark is expected, but you are non-stop. You should take ownership of it. Why not? It's who you are.

Now that I have clearly shown you wrong point by point, you come to generic accusation based on your projections. I am no longer going to respond to this.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The ones that like to denigrate to other is due to a complex a bitterness, then I would like to tell them, "get a life"

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My accusations weren't generic, they were specific. And you've fully admitted how much you've enjoyed Nadal losing. So I think we're on the same page. Which is good, I guess, since you're abdicating the conversation.

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
My accusations weren't generic, they were specific. And you've fully admitted how much you've enjoyed Nadal losing. So I think we're on the same page. Which is good, I guess, since you're abdicating the conversation.

I'm glad, in a perverse way, to see that Moxie is an equal-opportunity bickerer. That causes me to not take her sophomoric sniping personally :)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
lacatch said:
Moxie629 said:

I'm glad, in a perverse way, to see that Moxie is an equal-opportunity bickerer. That causes me to not take her sophomoric sniping personally :)

Oh, I wish you would. Then you could tell me where I ever said I fancied that Nadal would win Wimbledon, as you claim. However, I certainly don't think you take my comments personally.

H

haritpathak

http://essentiallysports.com/10-biggest-upsets-of-wimbledon/

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:

For goodness sake, not everything revolves around Rafael Nadal. It was a generic thread where specific people were mentioned (Nadal wasn't even one of them - despite the implicit reference).

The thread has legs beyond Nadal... and it's yesterday's news in any event. I don't like Nadal either but he's not bigger than the tournament - nowhere near.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
britbox said:
Moxie629 said:

For goodness sake, not everything revolves around Rafael Nadal. It was a generic thread where specific people were mentioned (Nadal wasn't even one of them - despite the implicit reference).

The thread has legs beyond Nadal... and it's yesterday's news in any event. I don't like Nadal either but he's not bigger than the tournament - nowhere near.

Exactly, you have said well, not everything resolves around Nadal but someones can't avoid to bring his name everytime and not exactly for good . That's why I've always heard that the greatness of a person (in this case of this tennis player) brings always more echoes and conversation of his loses than his
triumphs which seems more a compliment than anything else ;)

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Carol35 said:
britbox said:
Moxie629 said:

Exactly, you have said well, not everything resolves around Nadal but someones can't avoid to bring his name everytime and not exactly for good . That's why I've always heard that the greatness of a person (in this case of this tennis player) brings always more echoes and conversation of his loses than his
triumphs which seems more a compliment than anything else ;)

That is just your impression. You have not been around Nadal's glory days when he was winning left and right and those wins generated a lot more discussions than his loses these days.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Tsonga was shown the doo today, partly thanks to double hit. There may be one more upset on the cards.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Tsonga was shown the doo today, partly thanks to double hit. There may be one more upset on the cards.

After checking the rules, Ivo did not get a break. Double hits are permitted if unintentional in a single fluid swing.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
GameSetAndMath said:

After checking the rules, Ivo did not get a break. Double hits are permitted if unintentional in a single fluid swing.

It was discussed in greater detail and slow mtion videos are shown later. The conclusion is that it is not a single continuous swing and so is illegal. However, they also concluded that it appears to be a single continuous motion to the naked eye and so the umpire could not possibly have detected it. Finally, they also concluded that Ivo did not cheat either as it is improbably that he knew that he did double hit in the heat of the moment.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
All Men's matches got finished before the curfew.

We had only one upset today.

#13 J.W. Tsonga being shown the door by 36 year old #25 Dr. Ivo who hit 40 aces for three matches in a row so far.