Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2015 Edition

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Normally, in Wimby lot of players use to fall down (I am not talking upsets here, I am talking literal falls). But, I have not seen very many falls this year, except for Serena falling once in R1. So, the three weeks is probably working, in allowing people to get their grass feet.

Not sure if this is correct, but I did hear a commentator say it has to do with the hot weather and lack of rain. When the grass is drier, it's not as slippery, I think, even though it isn't yet worn down.

OK, at least you agree that the number of falls is unusually low.

I didn't mean to imply I wasn't sure if you were correct, only that I was not sure if my information was. Probably a combination of both: better grass feet/prep, and the drier weather.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I have a dream:sleepy: and it came true.

Hats off to Dustin Brown, he did not take his foot off the pedal. Wasn't overwhelmed by the occasion at all. Great Job Dreaded Dreadlockman!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You can stop watching Wimbledon now, GSM. You got what you wanted. :angel: :lolz:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Rafa losing isn't a huge upset nowadays. He's been everybody's whipping boy since January. He's got work to do to get back the aura, but at the moment, he's still a work in progress...

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
1972Murat said:
How many years in a row has something similar happened to Rafa here at Wimby now? I know it is hard for me too, but at some point we will have to stop calling these upsets. First week of Wimby is simply tough for Rafa.

Yup agreed. Not sure why this is being represented as such big news. This morning when I thought it would rain, I imagined this being played indoors, and I thought it might be even more ugly for Rafa. This is by no means a shock to tennis junkies like us

golds girl

Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:
1972Murat said:
How many years in a row has something similar happened to Rafa here at Wimby now? I know it is hard for me too, but at some point we will have to stop calling these upsets. First week of Wimby is simply tough for Rafa.

Yup agreed. Not sure why this is being represented as such big news. This morning when I thought it would rain, I imagined this being played indoors, and I thought it might be even more ugly for Rafa. This is by no means a shock to tennis junkies like us

For the non-watching tennis public it's a shocker. Just like they still call the Pova/Williams interaction a 'rivalry';)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Today we had three upsets.
1. #10 Rafa beaten by Dustin Brown in 4 sets.
2. #15 Deliciano Lopez beaten by #153 Nikoloz Basilashvili in 5 sets.
3. #30 Fog taken out by Popsicle in 4 sets.

That makes the upset count 8 so far, not including the two withdrawals.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I thoroughly enjoyed the Brown vs Nadal match. I saw the upset coming as soon as the draw was released. Brown's shots are even crazier than Dolgopolov's.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
10sfan said:
I thoroughly enjoyed the Brown vs Nadal match. I saw the upset coming as soon as the draw was released. Brown's shots are even crazier than Dolgopolov's.

Likewise and I wasn't one bit upset either. I dunno why this thread was labelled upset in fact :snicker

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Front242 said:
10sfan said:

Likewise and I wasn't one bit upset either. I dunno why this thread was labelled upset in fact :snicker

GSM set it up in anticipation. He may as well close it now, as I don't think he has any other point to it. Enjoy your gloat, friends.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:
10sfan said:

GSM set it up in anticipation. He may as well close it now, as I don't think he has any other point to it. Enjoy your gloat, friends.

Read his first post again.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Front242 said:
10sfan said:

Basically, Brown owns Rafa on grass:devil
Too bad I had to work, therefore I missed the party...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
Moxie629 said:
Front242 said:

You might revisit it, as well:

"We will discuss other potential upsets as they come nearby (although the second round upset is mouthwatering Devil)." Care to guess what match he meant? It can't have escaped your notice that GSM doesn't actually champion a player, he merely campaigns for the downfall of Nadal. I suppose that is his right, but it is puny, and slithery. He's never missed a dig he thought he could make, and yet I don't quite know who he's a fan of. :s

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
britbox said:
Moxie629 said:

You might revisit it, as well:

"We will discuss other potential upsets as they come nearby (although the second round upset is mouthwatering Devil)." Care to guess what match he meant? It can't have escaped your notice that GSM doesn't actually champion a player, he merely campaigns for the downfall of Nadal. I suppose that is his right, but it is puny, and slithery. He's never missed a dig he thought he could make, and yet I don't quite know who he's a fan of. :s

I know your guy lost it. But, please, you don't lose it as well.:chillout: After a few days, when you read your own post, you will hopefully realize how ridiculous it is. First, everybody knows who I am a fan of. Second, you are crossing the line and attacking the poster instead of the post. :nono Third, in case you have not realized this is a general upset thread and there are lots of posts discussing various other upsets. Hope you get back to senses in a few days.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nadal just respects Wimbly's tradition : beeing beaten in 2nd round by a guy who'll probably be beaten himself in next round....that's life

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/03/rafael-nadal-wimbledon-dustin-brown

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The two Wimbledon semifinalists of last year (Milos Raonic and Grigor Dimitrov) are both upset today. Milos has some excuse due to his recent surgery. But, Grigor has none. Last year Grigor refused to go to WTF as an alternate. This year, it appears that he will not even be given that option.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am in Rio de Janeiro for work/vacation this week, but I had to get on and remind everyone I picked Dustin Brown to beat Rafa. Haven't seen more than 10 minutes of Wimbledon so far, but wooh!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Today, we had 2 upsets.

1. #11 G. Dimitrov got ousted by #21 R. Gasquet and that too in straight sets.
2. #7 M. Raonic got ousted by #26 N. Kyrgios in 4 sets.

Interestingly, if they had not been upset, these two would have met each other in 4th round.
Instead, we now have a Gasquet vs. Kyrgios match in 4th round.