Upset Corner - Wimbledon 2015 Edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
As players go through the trials and tribulations on the green stuff, let us use this thread to alert others of projected, impending and already over upsets that are of significance. I am not going to define what is an upset. It surely would include a lower ranked player defeating a higher ranked player, but not necessarily limited to it. I am neither going to define which ones are significant. Just use your own judgment.

This year we could even start the Wimbledon with a major shock. As per tradition, Novak, the defending champion, will open the play at 1 p.m. on Monday. The question is will he come back again to play on Wednesday, considering he is playing Kohly, the highest ranked unseeded player who has grass chops and almost took Fed out. The oddsmakers are not buying into this possible upset. If you bet $100, Novak wins you will make just 5 bucks profit whereas if Kohly wins, you will make $1600 profit. So, Novak-Kohly is a potential upset waiting to happen, it may not actually happen.

The most plausible first round upset is Tsonga possibly being taken out by Gilles Muller. Muller had a pretty good grass warm-up season. Tsonga sat out all three weeks with some abdominal injuries (these injuries tend to affect serves). But, you have to wait till Tuesday for this upset to blossom.

We will discuss other potential upsets as they come nearby (although the second round upset is mouthwatering :devil).

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If they both make it, I think Dustin Brown could upset Rafa. I picked it in my bracket!

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
If they both make it, I think Dustin Brown could upset Rafa. I picked it in my bracket!

That was the mouthwatering one in the parenthetical remark.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
On Day 1, we had two upsets.

1. #19 Tommy Robredo taken out in straight sets by Qualifer John Millman from Australia
2. #28 Pablo Cuevas taken out by the American Wild card Dennis Kudla.

Tsonga vs. Muller is the first match on Court #2 tomorrow. Keep an eye on that for potential upset, especially if Tsonga is still feeling the effects of his abdominal injury.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hewitt beaten by Nieminen isn't an upset ??

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
isabelle said:
Hewitt beaten by Nieminen isn't an upset ??

No. Hewitt is hardly winning lately any matches and he is ranked outside of the top 100, below Nieminen

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Jack Sock lost to Sam Groth in 4 sets. The first time that Jack Sock gets seeded, he goes out in the opening round.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
We had two upsets yesterday. Same number today.

1. #29 GG Lopez taken out by Pablo Andujar
2. #31 Jack Sock taken out by Sam Groth.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Front242 said:
I'm not too upset personally :p

Even less on thursday. :devil

gollum_face.jpg

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Calm before the Storm! :devil

We had just one mild upset today with Verdasco taking out #32 Dominic Thiem. Some would not even call this an upset with Verdasco being a veteran (and who choked against Andy at QF stage in Wimby 2013). Cilic came close to getting booted out as well, but managed to stay alive. We are not counting Nishkori as an upset, as he did not play and lose.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:

We had just one mild upset today with Verdasco taking out #32 Dominic Thiem. Some would not even call this an upset with Verdasco being a veteran (and who choked against Andy at QF stage in Wimby 2013). Cilic came close to getting booted out as well, but managed to stay alive. We are not counting Nishkori as an upset, as he did not play and lose.

Yeah, I don't think you can really call that an upset. Only by virtue of ranking, and Thiem is some mere 11 places ahead of Verdasco, who, however you choose to characterize it, did almost beat Murray in QF the year he won.

Doesn't look like too much set-up for a "storm" of upsets tomorrow, either, though I know you're looking to Nadal v. Brown and salivating. Should be a challenge for Rafa, and it could be a good match. But as Kirijax says, the extra week effect may be showing, and I don't think Brown has 3 sets v. Rafa in him. But do hang onto your dream while it lasts. ;)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Normally, in Wimby lot of players use to fall down (I am not talking upsets here, I am talking literal falls). But, I have not seen very many falls this year, except for Serena falling once in R1. So, the three weeks is probably working, in allowing people to get their grass feet.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Normally, in Wimby lot of players use to fall down (I am not talking upsets here, I am talking literal falls). But, I have not seen very many falls this year, except for Serena falling once in R1. So, the three weeks is probably working, in allowing people to get their grass feet.

Not sure if this is correct, but I did hear a commentator say it has to do with the hot weather and lack of rain. When the grass is drier, it's not as slippery, I think, even though it isn't yet worn down. Though it will wear down faster in the hotter, dry weather, which I doubt you'll be happy about. :devil :snicker

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Not sure if this is correct, but I did hear a commentator say it has to do with the hot weather and lack of rain. When the grass is drier, it's not as slippery, I think, even though it isn't yet worn down.

OK, at least you agree that the number of falls is unusually low.

lacatch

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Yeah, I don't think you can really call that an upset. Only by virtue of ranking, and Thiem is some mere 11 places ahead of Verdasco, who, however you choose to characterize it, did almost beat Murray in QF the year he won.

Doesn't look like too much set-up for a "storm" of upsets tomorrow, either, though I know you're looking to Nadal v. Brown and salivating. Should be a challenge for Rafa, and it could be a good match. But as Kirijax says, the extra week effect may be showing, and I don't think Brown has 3 sets v. Rafa in him. But do hang onto your dream while it lasts. ;)
"But do hang onto your dream while it lasts :)". That's rich coming from someone who thinks Nadal has a prayer to win Wimbledon this year. First Rafa just needed match play this year to boost his confidence (we know how THAT turned out), and now it's the extra week on grass that's going to bring him back to glory. Pass the Kool Aid, please.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
lacatch said:
Moxie629 said:
GameSetAndMath said:

"But do hang onto your dream while it lasts :)". That's rich coming from someone who thinks Nadal has a prayer to win Wimbledon this year. First Rafa just needed match play this year to boost his confidence (we know how THAT turned out), and now it's the extra week on grass that's going to bring him back to glory. Pass the Kool Aid, please.

I invited GSM to have his dream of how this Wimbledon will go, and I'm going to have mine, though I don't believe I have anywhere stated that Rafa might win W this year, as you suggest. But a little bit of smack-talk is what we do here. What's wrong with that? I gave him a little wink. At least I don't spend every tournament drooling over the possibilities of a player doing poorly.