Upset Corner - AO 2020 Edition

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think the interesting matches of day 6 (with some upset potential are the following)

1. Nick vs. KK (85% chance of upset)
2. Verdasco vs. Sasha (55% chance of upset)
3. Rublev vs. Goffin. (70% chances of upset)

I think there should be two upsets of the above three matches.

p.s. The percentages are my estimation and not those of oddsmakers.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
No way, your percentages are way to high. Not more than 50/50 at best.

Reactions: Bonaca

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Yes! Kyrgios has the best shot I think.

Yep, that is why I gave him the highest percentage.

1. Kyrgios will be motivated to win this match due to the prospect of facing Ralph in the next one.
2. Despite being a bad boy, he will have crowd support from the Aussies.
3. KK is not playing that good.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kyrgios also apparently has a slightly higher UTR score than KK, which is another reason why we're all perceiving him as favored. I would invert your reasons why Kyrgios should win, though.

Your giving them random percentages based on your own gut is kind of funny. And remember, you could have just filled a bracket and committed to choices, rather than typing out your upset options every day. But that would have required you to pick a side. :popcorn

No chance for Gulbis over Monfils?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m bummed I didn’t play the challenger bracket , however I agree with GameSetMatch in that I think an upset is brewing with Kyrgios. The crowd will give him a life and he’s due for bad boy redemption arc.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I’m bummed I didn’t play the challenger bracket , however I agree with GameSetMatch in that I think an upset is brewing with Kyrgios. The crowd will give him a life and he’s due for bad boy redemption arc.
Let's face it...it'd barely be an upset at this point. They put Nick off of Laver because he likes the more raucous atmosphere on the smaller courts. Unless he self-destructs, he wins this match.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I project just one upset for Monday, the 8th day.

Rublev to oust Sasha in four sets.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Stanimal beat Meddi

Last edited:

Andy22

Major Winner
Reactions
There's actually only 1 inch difference in height between them. Tsitsipas is 6'4" and tall Raonic is 6'5". They're actually both tall.
so much for Medvedev winning AO must be sad for you talking about him 24/7 taking over tennis and losing, do you ever get suck of being wrong so much must be said your tennis IQ is low anyway, but still this is Djokovic land even I know that as a nadal fan.

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
So for those still dreaming about Fed being the greatest of all times: someone must help Fed, and they need to keep that help going which is incredible, given that not so long ago everyone was saying chances of winning a major dropped rapidly for anyone over 30. Not, the top 2 are well over 30 (32-33) and show no signs of slowing down in their quest to dethrone Fed. The only hope to prevent that here in AO 2020 must rely on an upset by ...a 34y ool Stan. So, as I said above, Stan can and will stop Nadal. But after that, can he also stop Joker in the final? Looks like too many back to back upsets to ask from a 34y old...

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
Dominator beat Mancor's bull
So I was completely wrong about both results in bottom QF, shame. But as a consolation, I can say that I predicted this upset: Nadal was stopped. Stopped even in QF rather than SF, and by more unlikely opponent Thiem rather than by Stan. Not a big drama for Nadal or his fans though: he is about to clinch his 20th GS anyway in RG, and with his current form continued, counting.
My personal problem from this outcome is, now there is nobody to stop Joker in the final because historically Thiem has been unable to produce back to back performances like in his QF against Nadal. So the final won't see an upset. Joker's fans can already celebrate. Zverev, if he advances to the role, is to be even weaker finalist than Thiem would be.