The Rankings Thread (ATP)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I wondered how they'd judge the rankings if Djokovic & Alcaraz were tied at 6980! Commentators say if Carlito goes on to win this Rio final over Norrie, Nole will continue being #1 since his points have more quality being from his AO win last month! :yawningface: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::face-with-tears-of-joy:
Novak tends to benefit in so many ways from the misfortunes of injured Spaniards. :lol6:

You’re correct about that though. They tot up the points and give priority to the player who’s gained more from big events.

Young Charlie though, he’s three most compelling and convincing youngster since Rafa, and that’s not bias. Watching him, you just can’t look away. Most skilful since Federer too, I think…

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Novak tends to benefit in so many ways from the misfortunes of injured Spaniards. :lol6:

You’re correct about that though. They tot up the points and give priority to the player who’s gained more from big events.

Young Charlie though, he’s three most compelling and convincing youngster since Rafa, and that’s not bias. Watching him, you just can’t look away. Most skilful since Federer too, I think…
Whatever Carlos Alcaraz accomplishes, it should just be added to Rafa's record.

(Me channeling Nadalfan2013 logic)

p.s. I'm tempted to start a fake troll account called "Nadalfan2015-16." ;)

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
There are tiebreaker rules, but I'm too lazy to do a search. I think Grand Slam points are involved, though.
I did post this on the ATP General News so I will post again,
The first t/break goes to the player who has more points at the mandatory events, ATP Finals, ATP Masters events
So even if Alcaraz wins Rio and ties with Djokovic, it will go to Djokovic
Djokovic 5,820 compared to Alcaraz 5,090.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Alcaraz wins today, they are tied. If he loses to Norrie, he's still only 200 points behind Novak. Djokovic plays next week in Dubai, where he's only defending 90 points. (It's a 500.) Alcaraz playing Acapulco, where he's defending nothing. (Also a 500.) But that's if he plays, and he looks like he's needing a break. But on from there, I'd be surprised if Djokovic gets a special dispensation into the US to play IW and MIA. That said, Alcaraz is defending SFs in IW and the win in Miami. So it's going to be pretty close up there at the top, maybe for a while.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
If they’re tied at the top, is this the first time it happens?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well the Novak fans will be happy to say the least lol!
I don't see why they would be especially happy. Novak would still be #1, and 200 points differential is nothing to write home about. I still think Carlos has a great chance to get the #1 back soon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't see why they would be especially happy. Novak would still be #1, and 200 points differential is nothing to write home about. I still think Carlos has a great chance to get the #1 back soon.
Well if Alcaraz plays Acapulco he has a great chance to take over the No 1 position? though at present is it worth it,after to day I feel he needs a break, I think he and his team have to look at the bigger picture, going into the Sunshine Double with more points to be earned, to me is the sensible way to go at present, Novak probably wont be able to play IW/Miami due to the current COVID rules, just my thoughts

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I thought Carlos has this one in a bag, given that he beat Norrie last week. Surprising loss and another long match. It might be a deciding factor these 200 points on who stays on top going into the clay season, but again it might mean nothing. Let's see how Carlitos plays the following weeks, it's a lot of tennis if he keeps on playing every week. He might need to re-evaulate if Acapulco is worth it.

As for Novak, it's looking like he is going to get red hot Medvedev in SF, so that might be the end of the road for him. I am sure Meddy is going to be fully motivated for that one since he lost last couple of matches against Novak.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought Carlos has this one in a bag, given that he beat Norrie last week. Surprising loss and another long match. It might be a deciding factor these 200 points on who stays on top going into the clay season, but again it might mean nothing. Let's see how Carlitos plays the following weeks, it's a lot of tennis if he keeps on playing every week. He might need to re-evaulate if Acapulco is worth it.

As for Novak, it's looking like he is going to get red hot Medvedev in SF, so that might be the end of the road for him. I am sure Meddy is going to be fully motivated for that one since he lost last couple of matches against Novak.
Alcaraz I feel needs to take a rest, he has just come back to the tour, not playing since last November, I feel it would be in his best interests to withdraw from Acapulco.

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I can tell by your posts that you're going to do the draw challenge, no? :) I am, too. Pro tip: Carlos is not going to play Acapulco, and probably neither is Norrie.

I do think that Medvedev will have the advantage of recent play, but I hesitate to call him red-hot. I am just about to look at the draw challenges, to see what the draws look like.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Fun fact: I could have this wrong, but I believe Taylor Fritz will become the 100th player in ATP history to reach the top 5.

Reactions: Fiero425

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Fun fact: I could have this wrong, but I believe Taylor Fritz will become the 100th player in ATP history to reach the top 5.
That is so esoteric as to be almost nonsensical. Where the hell did you get that? :face-with-tears-of-joy: