The Movie Reel

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched Oppenheimer last night at the open air cinema.

I am not satisfied with the movie. I read a lot of reviews and knew more or less what to expect, but I gave it a chance and I still thought it would be much better made.

1. The film would have been much better if the basis of the story was physics and the whole process of making the bomb, and not patriotism and America against Nazism/communism. Nolan is a director who could have done it much better, he went very deep in Interstellar and it came out great. Here he played the safe card of politics/patriotism that everyone can understand and nuclear physics is not something that might appeal to the general public. I feel a regret that he chose this path.

2. The bomb explosion disappointed me. I know that Nolan didn't want to use CGI, but you wait 2 hours of the movie to see how that bomb will explode and then instead of the explosion, I see people's faces and the flash that illuminates them. The bomb looked as if someone had put a little more dynamite on the pile. Bad.

3. I knew there would be politics in the movie, but I really didn't expect THAT much politics. Oppenheimer security clearance troubles doesn't excite me. Give me how they made that enriched Uranium and Plutonium, give me how they failed during the process of making the bomb and how they figured it all out, this must have been one hell of a journey worthy of the big screen and Nolan was a perfect director for such a story.

4. The acting roles are perhaps the best part. Cilian Murphy acted fantastically, as did the rest of the cast (Gary Oldman took over the screen in that one scene he acted) and it all looks really nice on the big screen, but I have a feeling that even the actors could not bring the film to be great in the end. I don't know why so many people give the movie 10/10. It should be an absolutely perfect film in every way, and Oppenheimer is not, at least to me.

I was really looking forward to this movie and I was expecting a lot more, the first joke that comes to my mind is Floppenheimer. That might be a little rude of me, but it's not far from the truth. What should I look forward to now? Which new movie should I be waiting for? Ah yes, the Dune sequel is coming in a few months, that should be a great movie.
Don,

I saw the film when it first came out here in Sydney, I loved it, I am a big Christopher Nolan fan, I thought the cast was great, it was really a film in 3 parts, I think Nolan is one of the finest directors, it really made a impact on me. Sorry you thought it was a Floppenheimer, I thought it was Brillant

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Don,

I saw the film when it first came out here in Sydney, I loved it, I am a big Christopher Nolan fan, I thought the cast was great, it was really a film in 3 parts, I think Nolan is one of the finest directors, it really made a impact on me. Sorry you thought it was a Floppenheimer, I thought it was Brillant
You thought it was Toppenheimer? Interesting! We have Floppenheimer vs Toppenheimer on the BIGGEST Screen in the WORLD!

:trophy:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
DonFabio & Kieran,

Finally saw “Oppenheimer” & of course i already knew Christopher Nolan is a “more is more” director , but boy he does go for it with a dizzying array of flash forward, flash back, fantasy & curren time sequences , narratively driven black & white cinematography, etc. In particular the sound editing stands out in this movie.

Overall I thought Nolan does a fascinating study on the enigmatic Oppenheimer, crammed with stuff in a 3 hour film, though the film whets your appetite for more at the same time its too much at times if that makes sense. So I get the criticism.
Cillian Murphy certainly shines as the flawed genius ( is there any other kind?) Both his obsessiveness in making the atom bomb a reality and his conflicted epiphany of what he has actually wrought is brilliantly conveyed.

Cant disagree that the pacing is impacted by having so much transpire. Personally IMO the subject matter would be greatly served by a mini series for the spectrum of events in Oppenheimer’s life from the 20’s through the 60’s. The closed Security Hearings hearings alone that destroyed his public standing could be a movie or mini series on its own.

So many others get at least one scene to shine, Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Ramik Malic, Casey Affleck, Gary Oldman, Florence Pugh, etc but especially Robert Downey Jr as his arch nemesis Strauss.
Again so much to take in i need to see it again , and i don’t usually say that about a 3 hour film, LOL.

Reactions: don_fabio

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Absolutely I saw it .. actually the best actor was a non actor Pancho Gonzales. Vilas has a non speaking role and so does McEnroe. As for the movie it's forgettable especially with the poor actors Dean Paul Martin and McGraw
anyone here seen this now-rare movie "Players" ?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Why did Disney not interview this woman? Is she retarded? Surely somewhere in her contract there has to be something requiring her not to damage the brand? These are just some of the questions I have :facepalm:

Reactions: Kieran

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DonFabio & Kieran,

Finally saw “Oppenheimer” & of course i already knew Christopher Nolan is a “more is more” director , but boy he does go for it with a dizzying array of flash forward, flash back, fantasy & curren time sequences , narratively driven black & white cinematography, etc. In particular the sound editing stands out in this movie.

Overall I thought Nolan does a fascinating study on the enigmatic Oppenheimer, crammed with stuff in a 3 hour film, though the film whets your appetite for more at the same time its too much at times if that makes sense. So I get the criticism.
Cillian Murphy certainly shines as the flawed genius ( is there any other kind?) Both his obsessiveness in making the atom bomb a reality and his conflicted epiphany of what he has actually wrought is brilliantly conveyed.

Cant disagree that the pacing is impacted by having so much transpire. Personally IMO the subject matter would be greatly served by a mini series for the spectrum of events in Oppenheimer’s life from the 20’s through the 60’s. The closed Security Hearings hearings alone that destroyed his public standing could be a movie or mini series on its own.

So many others get at least one scene to shine, Emily Blunt, Matt Damon, Ramik Malic, Casey Affleck, Gary Oldman, Florence Pugh, etc but especially Robert Downey Jr as his arch nemesis Strauss.
Again so much to take in i need to see it again , and i don’t usually say that about a 3 hour film, LOL.
Good reviews. Should I wait for it to come to a streaming subscription

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Why did Disney not interview this woman? Is she retarded? Surely somewhere in her contract there has to be something requiring her not to damage the brand? These are just some of the questions I have :facepalm:

Yeah but, when did you last see anyone on the far left pull that side up on their BS? We see it here all the time. Tribe blindness. Disney probably think the blowback is just cis-patriarchal bigotry. The far left are ruining everything, but they control so much of everything too - so that actually makes them feel emboldened to be as ridiculous and ignorant of classic movies as this silly cow…

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Hi @don_fabio

Your take on Oppenheimer was both curious and interesting to me. It made me think a lot. Thanks! I saw the movie and liked it, very much to be honest, but after your comment I might understand it better (at least, why I liked it). Let me think it out loud here a bit.

Context: I am a physicist -- on paper from the precise area we are talking about, but in real life that was not exactly the case. But I understand fairly well what is going on. I also know decently well the historical part. These two facts are heavily influenced by the fact that I have the fortune of being a personal friend of a person who knows *deeply* well both.

I was taken aback by your comment because I simply didn't *expect* the movie to be about physics -- no expectations, no delusions! But you make a valid point. Actually I was pleasantly surprised the movie did not have any major scientific flaw -- as it is so common. I was expecting a few. Now that I think of it, the "justification" I can think of is simple: the movie is named "Oppenheimer", and not "The making of the atom bomb". Your point -- and I agree with you -- is that the second is more interesting than the first. But it is what it is...

You correctly pointed out that the movie is centered on the political part. Trying to figure out the underlying political message here was harder than I would imagine. It has even a "pacifist" spin (luckily, given our context). The obvious parts were painting yet again JFK as a "good guy" (he is explicitly mentioned) in the end, and exploring the crazy part of the anti-communist hunt (which is a not so subtle blow to the ones with the anti-communist position still today). But all in all it is way less explicit and/or twisted than the typical hollywood movie.

One aspect the film did not explore -- and this is pretty curious -- is how much of an international effort the Manhattan Project (MP) is. You have the Hungarians (Szilard and Wigner wrote the original letter to begin with, and then there is Teller), you have Bethe (German), Fermi (Italian), you have the English group, and so on. This was something that could be (politically) explored, but it wasn't. Oppenheimer, together with Rabi, are basically the only important Americans in the group (Feynman is there, he is depicted playing the Bongos, but he is not of primary importance in the project). This is only vaguely mentioned in the movie when Oppenheimer is studying in Europe (someone says he is one of the few Americans to understand Quantum Physics). I guess film makers did't want to suggest the bomb was not totally American. It is "American" in the end, but... without the brains and initiative of foreigners, it would not even be attempted. So this is, now that I think of it, a flaw of the script.

There are minor inaccuracies, one right at the beginning (Bohr saying the it was Einstein who "started it all", which is not only wrong, but something Niels Bohr would *never* have said). Regarding Einstein, btw, I was also positively surprised the movie did not portrayed him a scientific super hero, as it is so common. Other is the scene when they read in the newspaper about Uranium fission, and ran to lab to reproduce it. This info came to America with Bohr and Rosenfeld, they knew it (from personal communications) before the Meitner/Strassman paper was published. The first observation (which I guess is the one mentioned), done by Han, went largely unnoticed. The "rush" to the labs was after Rosenfeld commented about fission with someone during a Bohr lecture.

So I was actually very happy watching all those physicists on the big screen. Seeing Kenneth Brannagh (who I like so much) as Bohr was so fun! How could I not like such a movie!

Also, it shows what is for me the greatest scientific anecdote of all times, when Bethe concludes that the world would *not* end after the test explosion. Someone raises the possibility that the explosion would trigger a (chemical) chain reaction that would burn up the entire atmosphere. The guy then goes out and demonstrates that it would *not* happen. How insane is that? This is not brilliantly depicted in the movie, but the mere mention of it was an extremely nice surprise to me.

Now to your point, that the actual story of the atom bomb would a better theme. Yes! You are completely right, it would be simply fantastic! But... (there is always a but).

...it would be for a selected crowd. It is subtle, sometimes complicated, and it takes patience to follow the plot. Not exactly material for the 140 characters generation.

Let me annoy you and give you an example -- which is fantastic, but hard to explain/depict:

First, the time/historic coincidences: Hans' observation of fission is in 38!!! One or two years before, the geo-political map was different, key scientists could be in different places, there would be more time to finish the bomb. One year later, maybe no one would even connect the dots (at the time at least, this is a fantastic story within the story, Lise Meitnner escape from Germany), and there would not be time to finish the bomb.

BTW, about time: this was an enormous unknown quantity. The actual number of the critical mass is difficult to calculate. Estimations from the different teams (American, English, German) were vastly different. If you underestimate the critical mass, your device won't work. If you overestimate, you might conclude it is physically impossible to enrich enough Uranium for it. Probably the great question mark in everyone's head at the test was exactly this one. If the test had failed, they would have concluded that the critical mass estimation was wrong. The MP estimated 15 Kg (and those estimations were constantly revised, up and down), and the actual figure today is understood to be around 10 Kg. Considering how hard it was (and still is) to enrich Uraniun (or get Plutonium), each Kg makes a lot of difference. There is a fantastic debate about the german (Heisenberg's) estimate...

But to show how hard it is to calculate critical mass is not simple. Specially, how hard it was at the time. General public usually has this very fantasized notion of *exact sciences* . Everything is down to a formula... but what do you do when you still don't know the formula? When you are still grasping what is going on, not to mention *why* somethings are going on... people were doing applied physics when the theoretical physics underlying it was basically very far from being perfectly understood... how do you put it all on the screen?

Can it be done? Yes, sure. But a lot of people out there would find it boring. Not you, for sure... but I am afraid you are not the majority here. But, just for you not to accuse me of bringing only bad news, I can tell you that there is a fantastic bbliography about this topic. The greatest one for me is this:

(maybe all this might interest @Chris Koziarz -- I miss our conversations)

Reactions: tented

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Hi @don_fabio

Your take on Oppenheimer was both curious and interesting to me. It made me think a lot. Thanks! I saw the movie and liked it, very much to be honest, but after your comment I might understand it better (at least, why I liked it). Let me think it out loud here a bit.

Context: I am a physicist -- on paper from the precise area we are talking about, but in real life that was not exactly the case. But I understand fairly well what is going on. I also know decently well the historical part. These two facts are heavily influenced by the fact that I have the fortune of being a personal friend of a person who knows *deeply* well both.

I was taken aback by your comment because I simply didn't *expect* the movie to be about physics -- no expectations, no delusions! But you make a valid point. Actually I was pleasantly surprised the movie did not have any major scientific flaw -- as it is so common. I was expecting a few. Now that I think of it, the "justification" I can think of is simple: the movie is named "Oppenheimer", and not "The making of the atom bomb". Your point -- and I agree with you -- is that the second is more interesting than the first. But it is what it is...

You correctly pointed out that the movie is centered on the political part. Trying to figure out the underlying political message here was harder than I would imagine. It has even a "pacifist" spin (luckily, given our context). The obvious parts were painting yet again JFK as a "good guy" (he is explicitly mentioned) in the end, and exploring the crazy part of the anti-communist hunt (which is a not so subtle blow to the ones with the anti-communist position still today). But all in all it is way less explicit and/or twisted than the typical hollywood movie.

One aspect the film did not explore -- and this is pretty curious -- is how much of an international effort the Manhattan Project (MP) is. You have the Hungarians (Szilard and Wigner wrote the original letter to begin with, and then there is Teller), you have Bethe (German), Fermi (Italian), you have the English group, and so on. This was something that could be (politically) explored, but it wasn't. Oppenheimer, together with Rabi, are basically the only important Americans in the group (Feynman is there, he is depicted playing the Bongos, but he is not of primary importance in the project). This is only vaguely mentioned in the movie when Oppenheimer is studying in Europe (someone says he is one of the few Americans to understand Quantum Physics). I guess film makers did't want to suggest the bomb was not totally American. It is "American" in the end, but... without the brains and initiative of foreigners, it would not even be attempted. So this is, now that I think of it, a flaw of the script.

There are minor inaccuracies, one right at the beginning (Bohr saying the it was Einstein who "started it all", which is not only wrong, but something Niels Bohr would *never* have said). Regarding Einstein, btw, I was also positively surprised the movie did not portrayed him a scientific super hero, as it is so common. Other is the scene when they read in the newspaper about Uranium fission, and ran to lab to reproduce it. This info came to America with Bohr and Rosenfeld, they new it (from personal communications) before the Meitner/Strassman paper was published. The first observation (which I guess is the one mentioned), done by Han, went largely unnoticed. The "rush" to the labs was after Rosenfeld commented about fission with someone during a Bohr lecture.

So I was actually very happy watching all those physicists on the big screen. Seeing Kenneth Brannagh (who I like so much) as Bohr was so fun! How could I not like such a movie!

Also, it shows what is for me the greatest scientific anecdote of all times, when Bethe concludes that the world would *not* end after the test explosion. Someone raises the possibility that the explosion would trigger a (chemical) chain reaction that would burn up the entire atmosphere. The guy then goes out and demonstrates that it would *not* happen. How insane is that? This is not brilliantly depicted in the movie, but the mere mention of it was an extremely nice surprise to me.

Now to you point, that the actual story of the atom bomb would a better theme. Yes! You are completely right, it would be simply fantastic! But... (there is always a but).

...it would be for a selected crowd. It is subtle, sometimes complicated, and it takes patience to follow the plot. Not exactly material for the 140 characters generation.

Let me annoy you and give you an example -- which is fantastic, but hard to explain/depict:

First, the time/historic coincidences: Hans' observation of fission is in 38!!! One or two years before, the geo-political map was different, key scientists could be in different places, there would be more time to finish the bomb. One year later, maybe no one would even connect the dots (at the time at least, this is a fantastic story within the story, Lise Meitnner escape from Germany), and there would not be time to finish the bomb.

BTW, about time: this was an enormous unknown quantity. The actual number of the critical mass is difficult to calculate. Estimations from the different teams (American, English, German) were vastly different. If you underestimate the critical mass, your device won't work. If you overestimate, you might conclude it is physically impossible to enrich enough Uranium for it. Probably the great question mark in everyone's head at the test was exactly this one. If the test had failed, they would have concluded that the critical mass estimation was wrong. The MP estimated 15 Kg (and those estimations were constantly revised, up and down), and the actual figure today is understood to be around 10 Kg. Considering how hard it was (and still is) to enrich Uraniun (or get Plutonium), each Kg makes a lot of difference. There is a fantastic debate about the german (Heisenberg's) estimate...

But to show how hard it is to calculate critical mass is not simple. Specially, how hard it was at the time. General public usually has this very fantasized notion of *exact sciences* . Everything is down to a formula... but what do you do when you still don't know the formula? When you are still grasping what is going on, not to mention *why* somethings are going on... people were doing applied physics when the theoretical physics underlying it was basically very far from being perfectly understood... how do you put it all on the screen?

Can it be done? Yes, sure. But a lot of people out there would find it boring. Not you, for sure... but I am afraid you are not the majority here. But, just for you not to accuse me of bringing only bad news, I can tell you that there is a fantastic bbliography about this topic. The greatest one for me is this:

(maybe all this might interest @Chris Koziarz -- I miss our conversations)
That film sounds fascinating if I get a chance to watch it what with work & the courses they send me on from work as well as my writing.

I miss our conversations with Chris too. We had some fascinating ones.

Reactions: mrzz

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hi @don_fabio

As I understand Nolan followed closely the book on Oppenheimer life, that is the reason why movie is more about him than the making of atomic bomb.

I discussed this with a friend of mine and he said the same, that the Manhattan Project was very much an international effort which could not be completed without the several physicists who were crucial in the project. Basically they all worked like a team and each of those guys was an important wheel and contributed to the final goal to make a bomb.
This was a cool part, a guy calculates and comes up with almost zero percent chance of the world to end.
Now to you point, that the actual story of the atom bomb would a better theme. Yes! You are completely right, it would be simply fantastic! But... (there is always a but).

Agree, it would be for a selected crowd only.

Wow, this is what I wanted to see more of.

Sounds like worth reading it. Thanks for the recommendation and for the post, you really know the subject!

Reactions: tented

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
, this is what I wanted to see more of.
It is not exactly what you are wanting to see, but there is a play called "Copenhagen" that you might find interesting. I guess there is a TV móvel based on it, and surely there will be vídeo versions of the play in YouTube. It is based on a meeting between Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg, in 1941. The bomb is the elephant in the room.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I am going tomorrow to see Oppenheimer for the second time, I loved the film the first time, still thinking about it, my husband who has just returned from working overseas wants to see it, so I dont mind seeing it again at all.I was a bit surprised he wanted to see it, because he prefers 'action movies' war movies, etc,
So I am curious to know if he likes it or not.
I had to laugh at this news, apparently The Barbie film which has broken box office records, world wide, is banned in Lebanon, the powers that be feel it promotes 'homosexuality"

Last edited:

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It is not exactly what you are wanting to see, but there is a play called "Copenhagen" that you might find interesting. I guess there is a TV móvel based on it, and surely there will be vídeo versions of the play in YouTube. It is based on a meeting between Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg, in 1941. The bomb is the elephant in the room.
There is a TV movie with same title from 2002, it has Daniel Craig as Heisenberg. Sounds good to me.

Reactions: mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Well I am going tomorrow to see Oppenheimer for the second time, I loved the film the first time, still thinking about it, my husband who has just returned from working overseas wants to see it, so I dont mind seeing it again at all.I was a bit surprised he wanted to see it, because he prefers 'action movies' war movies, etc,
So I am curious to know if he likes it or not.
I had to laugh at this news, apparently The Barbie film which has broken box office records, world wide, is banned in Lebanon, the powers that be feel it promotes 'homosexuality"
Well, around 7 out 10 of my gay friends played with either "Suzie" or "Barbie" when they were kids. The Barbie ones are decisevily more futile, while the Suzie ones in general are smarter.

Lebanon may have a point after all.

• Wow
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I am happy to report that my husband enjoyed Oppenheimer,great direction, great cast, I must say seeing the film for the second time, I thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband will now want me to see the new Tom Cruise film with him, ( though I might have to work on that day )

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Me & my Sister are going to watch Strays later. We're booked in for the tea-time showing.

Reactions: Kieran