The Movie Reel

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Watched a few good films this week, including one great film, starring Jason statham. The Bank Job is based on a true story, a bank heist in London in 1971. It was written by Dick Clement and Ian LeFrenais, who a lot of people here might remember writing popular British TV shows like Porridge, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, Lovejoy, The Likely Lads and others. The Bank Job is tough, lean and pacey, and per usual, Statham is well cast as the villain who is also the hero who has to make things right. The rest of the cast is excellent, including Keeley Hawes, Saffron Burrows, David Suchet and Daniel Mays.
I love this film! That it’s based on a true story is pretty incredible, given the chain of events. Statham and Saffron Burrows are especially great.

Reactions: Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I love this film! That it’s based on a true story is pretty incredible, given the chain of events. Statham and Saffron Burrows are especially great.
It’s great, isn’t it? Had you seen it before?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah the Bank Job was a great movie, I've seen it a few years ago. Statham is really nailing these kind of roles.

What's up with the Oscars, almost all went to Everything everywhere all at once. Meh, Banshees of Inisherin were way better and got zero. Typical.

Reactions: tented and Kieran

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I’ve seen it at least twice. I’d watch it a third time, I’m certain.
Yeah I’d watch it again too, I think the cast is excellent, and I love the turn Poirot puts in, he’s such a very actor, and gets a special “fight scene” of his own at the end with Statham! :lulz1:

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah the Bank Job was a great movie, I've seen it a few years ago. Statham is really nailing these kind of roles.

What's up with the Oscars, almost all went to Everything everywhere all at once. Meh, Banshees of Inisherin were way better and got zero. Typical.
I like Michelle yeoh but I think they did a box ticking exercise on that. I haven’t seen the film she’s in but I hadn’t heard that there were any scenes that required deep acting techniques in it. It’s a marvel movie? Or something like it?

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions

Was the Oscars rigged this year lol! even if you were an extra in that movie, Everything everywhere all at once, you seem to get an award lol! Loved Banshees of Inisherin, it wasnt the 'flavor of the month' at all at the Oscar's sad to say
I though Cate Blanchett was a shoe in to win Best Actress, she won nearly every other award, I thought the role of Tar was just made for her., oh well what do I know lol!

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I like Michelle yeoh but I think they did a box ticking exercise on that. I haven’t seen the film she’s in but I hadn’t heard that there were any scenes that required deep acting techniques in it. It’s a marvel movie? Or something like it?
It’s an interesting film — definitely worth seeing, because (as so many have said) there’s nothing quite like it. It’s difficult to describe what it’s about; you have to see it. It’s not a comic book film, but it is a mix of sci-fi and drama.

Blanchette had a lock on winning this for a while, but I think she peaked too soon, as Yeoh gained momentum.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, no deep acting required for Michelle Yeoh, though she was good, but I think Cate Blanchett deserved it much more with a performance in Tar.
It's hard to explain Everything Everywhere All At Once. There is a bit of Marvel stuff there too, there is a bit of everything, like the movie name says, it's exactly like that. A bit of every genre in a same movie, you mix that up and you get a mess. Unique approach to the idea, but could be executed better. Movie is also too long in my opinion.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Was the Oscars rigged this year lol! even if you were an extra in that movie, Everything everywhere all at once, you seem to get an award lol! Loved Banshees of Inisherin, it wasnt the 'flavor of the month' at all at the Oscar's sad to say
I though Cate Blanchett was a shoe in to win Best Actress, she won nearly every other award, I thought the role of Tar was just made for her., oh well what do I know lol!
When I first saw Everything Everywhere All At Once I thought it was fun and unique, but I never, ever thought it would be nominated for Oscars (except technical awards, such as editing, sound, special effects, etc.) I have a feeling this will be looked back on as a mistake. It’s a very good film, but not on the level of Banshees. I was rooting for all of those actors but wasn’t surprised they lost.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Yeah, no deep acting required for Michelle Yeoh, though she was good, but I think Cate Blanchett deserved it much more with a performance in Tar.
It's hard to explain Everything Everywhere All At Once. There is a bit of Marvel stuff there too, there is a bit of everything, like the movie name says, it's exactly like that. A bit of every genre in a same movie, you mix that up and you get a mess. Unique approach to the idea, but could be executed better. Movie is also too long in my opinion.
Agreed - definitely too long. At least 30 minutes could have been cut, and no one would have felt something was missing.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
When I first saw Everything Everywhere All At Once I thought it was fun and unique, but I never, ever thought it would be nominated for Oscars (except technical awards, such as editing, sound, special effects, etc.) I have a feeling this will be looked back on as a mistake. It’s a very good film, but not on the level of Banshees. I was rooting for all of those actors but wasn’t surprised they lost.
I havent seen the film, I have read about it, it really isnt my cup of tea, though arent the awards picked by the members of the academy, eg fellow actors etc, they must of liked the film, going on how many awards it won and was nominated for.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I havent seen the film, I have read about it, it really isnt my cup of tea, though arent the awards picked by the members of the academy, eg fellow actors etc, they must of liked the film, going on how many awards it won and was nominated for.
If the Left are so enthralled by fake ideas of equality then it's no surprise that the largely Lefty Luvvies are voting this way, unfortunately. I suppose the obvious flaw in awards shows is that the actors aren't all playing the same role, and then they vote on who acted it best, but even still, given the levels of subjectivity involved it's still possible to tell the diff between Iron Man and Brando in On The Waterfront.

Every year we see further pressure on the Academy - and the Grammies - to vote not according to ability, but according to race, gender etc, which is actually a huge backward step...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
How come none of you good sorts told me about The Recruit, an excellent spy film starring Colin Farrell, Al Pacino and Bridget Moynihan? Directed by Roger Donaldson, who directed The Bank Job. Watched it over two days, it’s twisty turny, with an especially great one at the end.

This was during Pacino’s shouty HOO-aaahhh phase but he’s very good in it. Farrell is good in everything, as is Bridget Moynihan…

Reactions: tented

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
How come none of you good sorts told me about The Recruit, an excellent spy film starring Colin Farrell, Al Pacino and Bridget Moynihan? Directed by Roger Donaldson, who directed The Bank Job. Watched it over two days, it’s twisty turny, with an especially great one at the end.

This was during Pacino’s shouty HOO-aaahhh phase but he’s very good in it. Farrell is good in everything, as is Bridget Moynihan…
I'm not a fan of spy films & I haven't had much time to watch films recently. (I've only managed to read 34 pages of "Love of my life" & I've now got 2 chapters of my book-keeping book to read, 2 sections of questions to complete, online activities & assessments to pass & revision to do *well, I've been given 3 weeks to do the revision in* & I've got another course to do tomorrow morning which I'll be doing 1 1/2 hours a week + homework & I've got work to go to too not to mention the fact I need to go for new spectacles tomorrow.) I'm glad you enjoyed the film. (I haven't even had much chance to write poetry recently.)

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I get that “Everything Everywhere All At Once” isn’t everyones cup of tea, but I love how it isn’t the usual “Oscar bait” drama with noble or historical figures fighting against great odds.

With hokum such as “Crash” and “The Greenbook” winning best pic in years past, it’s nice that an entertaining “popcorn flick” won this year.

The Oscars have NEVER been about the best performances or quality, its a Hollywood self congratulatory love fest so the calls for more diversity don't bother me at all. These awards are always about politics.
Anyone see Hugh Grant’s red carpet interview? Awkward as all hell, LOL. It kills me when actors think they are above it all, bemoaning the superficiality of these award shows, DUH. then.why.show.up.

Last edited:

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I've just watched "Fisherman's Friends" 1 & 2. I loved it. It's based on a true story, it's a right laugh & there's lots of good music in it. The acting is brilliant & believable too. There are a few emotional scenes which really get to you. What more could you want from a film?

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Back in the ‘80s loved the Sci Fi film “Night of the Comet” & just rewatched it. Yes, it was made for less than a million dollars. Now we’ve been overflooded culturally with zombies, post apocalyptic worlds, dubious scientists, etc but it all seemed fresh back then and the films treats its premise with a matter of fact dry humor. Also back then fairly rare in this genre for a female lead; Supposedly the main heroine helped inspire Josh Whedon’s lead character of “Buffy the Vampire killer”. A very 80’s southern Cal vibe to it, so yes it’s dated. Not “ Citizen Kane” but not every film needs to be.

Last edited:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
If you have access to TCM, tonight at 10:15 PM (Eastern) they’re airing a documentary called “What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael” from 2018. I’ve never seen it, but have read nearly every word she ever published, so I’m looking forward to it. I can’t think of a more impactful and often controversial film critic than Kael.