The Doubles Thread

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He is really playing like hell. Well, of course, he is the guy with the one handed back hand out there...
(Note: "playing like hell" in English generally means "badly." But I get your point.) And don't start with the one-handers, please. I have looked into my heart, and there is no monkey-skull. Good final. A small factoid about Zeballos: only player besides Roger, Novak and Murray to beat Rafa in a final on clay. That's why I always root for him. Seems that he has moved on to doubles.

Reactions: mrzz

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
I have a question for this thread, but I wanted to let it get going before adding this wrinkle: What do people think about Mixed Doubles? It's only played in Hopman Cup, at Majors and the Olympics, so pretty rare at the pro level. But a good opportunity for players to make some money, if they're around anyway.
My answer to your question is I like mixed doubles. I guess you're going to be amazed here that I've kept things short & sweet.

Reactions: Moxie

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I have a question for this thread, but I wanted to let it get going before adding this wrinkle: What do people think about Mixed Doubles? It's only played in Hopman Cup, at Majors and the Olympics, so pretty rare at the pro level. But a good opportunity for players to make some money, if they're around anyway.
I think mixed doubles are also an opportunity to have some fun on court, since the stakes are usually not as high as in other types while courtesy becomes the most important element.
I don't think many players are looking for money here, because the wages are the lowest here. They may be looking for something beyond money though. Prime example: I think Fed found his relationship with Mirka, that developed into successful marriage, by playing with her at HC.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think mixed doubles are also an opportunity to have some fun on court, since the stakes are usually not as high as in other types while courtesy becomes the most important element.
I don't think many players are looking for money here, because the wages are the lowest here. They may be looking for something beyond money though. Prime example: I think Fed found his relationship with Mirka, that developed into successful marriage, by playing with her at HC.
I do think they have fun playing mixed. And I just looked up the prize money: it's the one area that didn't go up in the recent increases/redistributions over the years. Still, it can help pay expenses...most people playing mixed aren't Federer. :)

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
most people playing mixed aren't Federer
No. By playing HC with Belinda 3 times in a row in last 3y (and winning twice) Fed is one of the significant mixed players. And he confirms it by saying HC is his best preparation for AO. In the past he also played with Hingis.
Edit: Sorry I initially misread you intention. I agree those relatively "poor" players may be playing MD for extra money, as opposed to Fed who obviously does not.