The Doubles Thread

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Most of us watch it on TV or on Computer. You are always different. I want to buy that bike too as sometimes my TV does not show them.

Our "I will get you on a technicality" contest is currently tied at 1x1.

Reactions: Moxie

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
The two best plays from this years IW (so far at least) have come from the doubles: Bryan brothers human wall against Kachanov Medvedev and Fognini's round the post shot.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
For those in the US, Tennis Channel is going to show both doubles finals, beginning at 6 PM (east coast). For everyone else, hopefully you have a gym exercise bike, like @mrzz.

Reactions: mrzz

tented

Administrator
Reactions
The men’s doubles final begins at 5 PM (West)/8 PM (East).

Nikola Mektic / Horacio Zeballos VS (6) Lukasz Kubot / Marcelo Melo

This is only the second tournament Mektic and Zeballos have ever played. Also noteworthy that each team features an Eastern European and a South American.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I have a question for this thread, but I wanted to let it get going before adding this wrinkle: What do people think about Mixed Doubles? It's only played in Hopman Cup, at Majors and the Olympics, so pretty rare at the pro level. But a good opportunity for players to make some money, if they're around anyway.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Very good final. A lot of those crazy doubles rallies.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Very good final. A lot of those crazy doubles rallies.
It's very fun that you started this thread. It gives us a place to watch together, which encourages us to watch doubles. (I am watching, btw.)

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Maybe it is because I don´t watch that much, but it seems this is a very good match.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Maybe it is because I don´t watch that much, but it seems this is a very good match.
It is a good match. Who you pulling for?

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Mektic has one of the weirdest service motions of all time

Reactions: tented

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I will say, for anyone who feels bad for the patrons who were hoping for Fedal, they have had good tennis today.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
It is a good match. Who you pulling for?

Neutral, to be honest. I like Zeballos a lot.

Melo is surely a good doubles player -- his results more than prove that -- but looking at him playing I always feel otherwise (even if today he is doing everything right).

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Neutral, to be honest. I like Zeballos a lot.

Melo is surely a good doubles player -- his results more than prove that -- but looking at him playing I always feel otherwise (even if today he is doing everything right).

I didn't want to assume you'd go with the Brazilian. I also like Zeballos. I think you're hard on Melo...he has some soft hands. And Mektic's serve doesn't seem anywhere near as weird to me as Gulbis's, for example. In a way, I want to see the classic team win.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I didn't want to assume you'd go with the Brazilian. I also like Zeballos. I think you're hard on Melo...he has some soft hands. And Mektic's serve doesn't seem anywhere near as weird to me as Gulbis's, for example. In a way, I want to see the classic team win.

You got it right, in sports as a whole I don't particularly root for Brazilians. But in tennis, maybe because the community is not that big, or the fact that I know how hard it is for a lot our players to get somewhere, I end up rooting for Braziilans more often than not.

I also root for the classic team as a rule, but both Zeballos and Mektic are experienced doubles players. I was surprised to see that Mektic is in fact number 15 in the world (while Zeballos is 25). But it is the first time they play together, I guess.

Tied at 1. Super tie breaker.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You got it right, in sports as a whole I don't particularly root for Brazilians. But in tennis, maybe because the community is not that big, or the fact that I know how hard it is for a lot our players to get somewhere, I end up rooting for Braziilans more often than not.

I also root for the classic team as a rule, but both Zeballos and Mektic are experienced doubles players. I was surprises to see that Mektic is in fact number 15 in the world (while Zeballos is 25). But it is the first time they play together, I guess.

Tied at 1. Super tie breaker.
This is only the second tournament they play together.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Some point from Zeballos!

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
They did it! The new great doubles team. Mektic/Zeballos. They beat great teams for the title.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I’m so happy for Mektic and Zeballos! What a tournament, and an entertaining, well-played final.