Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Sinner in 5

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
On his 3rd MP Alcaraz d Sinner 26 63 36 64 to be the first player through to the final!

Well done Carlos I picked you at the start of the tournament as you have all the skills to win a RG title
Well done to my Italian Sinner, who has improved his clay game this season making the SF at RG, this time last year he was defeated in the 2nd round.

Reactions: shawnbm and Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Was on while I was working but saw this comment which sounds like it was bad tactics by Sinner to be ball bashing and leaving the court open. Can't really comment though since I couldn't watch and this is just a random opinion/comment on X.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@don_fabio and I, plus one other person picked Carlos in 5. Also, shout out to Don Fabio who is at the top of the draw challenge. I think that, unless Zverev wins the title, our Don Fabio wins the draw challenge.

Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 1.02.31 PM.png

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
@don_fabio and I, plus one other person picked Carlos in 5. Also, shout out to Don Fabio who is at the top of the draw challenge. I think that, unless Zverev wins the title, our Don Fabio wins the draw challenge.

View attachment 9518
Fun fact. Was just curious and the poll still works and I just picked Alcaraz in 5. Would be handy for betting :face-with-tears-of-joy: It allows you to change your vote too haha.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I did notice that I didn't tell the poll to close before the match, but I figured it was just us. And at least you fessed up. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
For future reference, if anyone wants to create the polls for the semis/finals, these are the defaults:
IMG_3053.jpeg

Since no one voted on the women's SFs, I may just only do the polls for the Final starting in Wimbledon.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
For future reference, if anyone wants to create the polls for the semis/finals, these are the defaults:
IMG_3053.jpeg

Since no one voted on the women's SFs, I may just only do the polls for the Final starting in Wimbledon.
I didnt notice there were SF polls for the woman? I just found them half way down the WTA post?

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

View attachment 9518
I borrowed a crystal ball from Keli @kskate2 for while. Don't worry, I will bring it back after the final. Everything I predict seems to go my way, Alcaraz in 5, Zverev in 4 yesterday. Now remains only the outcome of the final.

Below is the total standings of about 1500 draws entered. Got really lucky this time.

IMG_20240608_081014.jpg

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I borrowed a crystal ball from Keli @kskate2 for while. Don't worry, I will bring it back after the final. Everything I predict seems to go my way, Alcaraz in 5, Zverev in 4 yesterday. Now remains only the outcome of the final.

Below is the total standings of about 1500 draws entered. Got really lucky this time.

View attachment 9519
Polish it up before you give it back. Leave it on her doorstep and run away. That's what I do.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
IMG_3053.jpeg

For future reference, if you create a poll, either tag me or send me a pm. I can stick it to the top and it will be seen.

don_fabio

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
To be honest, I expected better quality match yesterday. It hasn't really picked up until the 4th set, where it looked like Sinner had a better chance there. He was playing really well at that point of the match and that unfortunate smash which turned the tide.

I don't know if it's me, but I keep comparing these guys to big3 and it's probably not fair, but it's just normal after watching the magic for the 20 years and then you have to accept that these new guys are not them. It takes a bit of getting used to it I guess, but they could play better and I hope in a future we see bigger battles than yesterday. Hope they push each other to a higher level over the years.

Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
To be honest, I expected better quality match yesterday. It hasn't really picked up until the 4th set, where it looked like Sinner had a better chance there. He was playing really well at that point of the match and that unfortunate smash which turned the tide.

I don't know if it's me, but I keep comparing these guys to big3 and it's probably not fair, but it's just normal after watching the magic for the 20 years and then you have to accept that these new guys are not them. It takes a bit of getting used to it I guess, but they could play better and I hope in a future we see bigger battles than yesterday. Hope they push each other to a higher level over the years.
I think Jannik will remember that Djoko smash in his dreams, it really did turn the tide in the match, still it was a good improvement from Jannik during the clay season, at one stage with his hip injury he might not have played RG, last year her went out in R2, so making a SF in 2024 is a good improvement,

Reactions: don_fabio

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

You're right, it isn't fair - but it is understandable and hard not to do. We really need to collectively re-calibrate and recognize that the Big Three are not just generational players, but the best players any of us have ever seen and might ever seen. The only players in tennis history who came close to their accomplishments--in terms of both peak dominance and longevity of excellence--are few: Rod Laver definitely, Bill Tilden if we want to go back, and maybe Pancho Gonzales, but he's probably half a step behind.

Alcaraz and Sinner are obviously the two players with the best chances of becoming true all-time greats. I'd even argue that it is only a matter of health - both should win 5+ Slams and make the cut of at least the "Edberg/Becker tier." No shame in that. And they could end up better than that.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
You're right, it isn't fair - but it is understandable and hard not to do. We really need to collectively re-calibrate and recognize that the Big Three are not just generational players, but the best players any of us have ever seen and might ever seen. The only players in tennis history who came close to their accomplishments--in terms of both peak dominance and longevity of excellence--are few: Rod Laver definitely, Bill Tilden if we want to go back, and maybe Pancho Gonzales, but he's probably half a step behind.

Alcaraz and Sinner are obviously the two players with the best chances of becoming true all-time greats. I'd even argue that it is only a matter of health - both should win 5+ Slams and make the cut of at least the "Edberg/Becker tier." No shame in that. And they could end up better than that.
My crystal ball has Charly winning 10-13 slams, more than Andre, but less than Pete..

Reactions: Moxie and don_fabio

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

I'm not as disappointed in that match as some, as I saw on the thread. We do have to remember that not all of the Big 3 matches were barn-burners, either. One difference, if I may suggest, is that both Jannik and Charly are young, and at basically the same place. As in, kind of just getting started, but also already Major winners and world #1s. It made a difference that when Rafa came up, Roger was a well-established. Nadal HAD to play at a magnificent level to compete with/beat Roger. It's not like he could feel his way to it, with an also nervous contemporary. Likewise when Novak decided he was going to swim in the big-boy pool (which was even prior to 2011.) Roger had already set the bar high. I think there is a lot of great tennis in front of us between these two. I thought that SF was pretty great, though.

Reactions: Fiero425