Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 9: Monday, June 3

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Has anyone ever seen any player wait Nadal out for the coin-toss ?
Nadal will never let it happen.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
johnsteinbeck said:
i'm a bit shocked that so many people around here are rooting for/against a player just so that he can take down another player (usually Novak/Rafa) *lol*

My approach is the same with all sports, with a tiered approach:
1) I root for my personal favorite, then
2) root for secondary favorites, then
3) root against the favored (unless he's my favorite)

In this case rooting for Djokovic serves 1 in an indirect way, although doesn't serve 3 - but 1 trumps 3.

The Djokovic-Haas is a bit more difficult for me because Haas is one of my "secondary favorites" and thus it is 1 vs. 2 and 3. I'll probably root for Haas during the match, even though him winning would hurt Federer's chance of a title.

Best-case scenario, though, would be an old-guy final of Haas-Federer. It won't happen, but one can dream...

huntingyou

Masters Champion
Reactions
I think Roger fans need to worry about his section first. I talked about Ferrer when the draw came out, but all you care about it's Novak beating Rafa like if that was as well a foregone conclusion.

BTW, it will be almost 80 degrees on Friday........just saying

Mog

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
Roger has a tough match against Tsonga but I think he will take it in 4 stes.
I think Nole will beat Nadal in semi, if they make it.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm starting to think Novak will beat Rafa as well, but I also kind of feel Tsonga is going to be beat Roger. But....well, we'll see!

Man, Wawrinka can be nasty. Watching him play I can't help but wonder, why hasn't he be in the top ten mix over the last few years? He seems to be capable of a level similar to Berdych and Tsonga. I guess its that consistency thing.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
man, that's a wonderful match to watch. Gasquet seems tired though. i'm afraid it's now or never for him.

unbelievable stop by Stan the Man to get a break/set point. do look for that point in highlight reels, it's not that flashy, but it was amazing how he got there - he ran around the fh on a midcourt sitter (coming from the the ad court, it would've been a natural fh), and carves out a stop with the bh.

Stan takes the set. Gasquet probably will need the trainer, indicated trouble when he tried to sit down. definitely favoring Stan in the fifth, unless the crowd manages to really breathe some life into Richard. crowd was quite something as well, btw. Fed said yesterday "oday definitely reminded me what Simon's first name was"... i got a feeling Stan today knows very well what Gasquet's first name is.

Fabrice Santoro already present near the court, was ready in case he got to interview Gasquet. he looks pretty worried now... afraid he might get to interview Stan before they even start the fifth.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
El Dude said:
I'm starting to think Novak will beat Rafa as well, but I also kind of feel Tsonga is going to be beat Roger. But....well, we'll see!

Man, Wawrinka can be nasty. Watching him play I can't help but wonder, why hasn't he be in the top ten mix over the last few years? He seems to be capable of a level similar to Berdych and Tsonga. I guess its that consistency thing.

If I recall correctly, hen I asked on a thread earlier this clay season, how far will Magnus Norman lead Stan, you were conservative, saying not farther than bottom top 10?

I am sure he'll be better than that. Norman seems to be getting the best out of a talented underachiever.
In both Robin Soderling and Stan Wawrinka's there was a certain amount of lack of confidence in their game hich prevented them to capitalize on their weapons sufficiently.
I think Stan has the game to be a factor in slams.
This is a great run already, especially considering that there were rumours of withdrawal.
And I am sorry that I could not watch his match today, it had to be great.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
So does Gasquet hold the record for blowing two sets to love leads?

coban

Futures Player
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:

I dont have the numbers, but my eye-ball opinion is yes. On the other side -- how many times have Wawrinka come back from two sets down?:)

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:

It could be Haas. I think he's done it 6 or 7 times.

Garro

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Broken_Shoelace said:

The record is 6, held by Cedric Pioline, Cassio Motta, Tommy Haas, Jurgen Melzer, and Paul Henri Mathieu. I dunno how many Gasquet has lost but I imagine he's getting close.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Great comeback by Stan, kudos to him. I didn't see it, but I'm happy he won. Another QF appearance. I hope he can make it to London this year.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
What's the deal with Gasquet? Why does it seem that he's always physically shot after four sets? Couldn't have been cumulative fatigue, because all of his previous matches were easy straight set wins. Does the guy have some type of physical problem, or does he just not work very hard on his fitness?

By the way...Of the eight remaining players, Ferrer and Tsonga are the only ones to have not lost a set.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I. Haychew said:
By the way...Of the eight remaining players, Ferrer and Tsonga are the only ones to have not lost a set.

They both look really good this tournament. I've avoided watching Ferrer (did see your guy Kevin A. fail miserably against him though), but Tsonga looks really impressive. Especially on the mental side of things. Ferrer is locked for the semis for sure, and has a very good chance to reach the final, especially if Tsonga overcomes Federer.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions
Denisovich said:
I. Haychew said:

They both look really good this tournament. I've avoided watching Ferrer (did see your guy Kevin A. fail miserably against him though), but Tsonga looks really impressive. Especially on the mental side of things. Ferrer is locked for the semis for sure, and has a very good chance to reach the final, especially if Tsonga overcomes Federer.

I missed the Ferrer/Anderson match (was sleeping). Judging by the scoreline, it appears that Anderson, like Youzhny, used racquets with no strings.

Ferrer does look to be a lock for he SF, unless Robredo pulls off another miracle, which is what I'd like to see. I really look forward to the Federer/Tsonga match. I hope both guys bring their best.