Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 7: Saturday, June 1

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
RE: Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 7

It looked like that to me that he wasn't aware of what happened while he was playing. They did the right thing for not telling him before the match.

Darth, I have something you would like to read:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/tennis/inside-the-mind-of-rafael-nadal-the-neurotic/story-fnbe6xeb-1226544759810

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

imjimmy said:
I actually don's recall Nadal playing 3 consecutive poor matches in Roland Garros. Not in 2011 (where he went to 5 sets against Isner). And not even in 2009, where his knees were shot.
My opinion is that Nadal has overplayed. Some of his best tennis since his return was early on - during IW for example. It seems that the more he plays the worse he gets. I agree with a comment above that his performance today was worse than in R1 and R2. He should be destroying guys like Fognini when he's ON. He wasn't dictating play at all.

Anyway, this is uncharted territory. Because Nadal is seldom as bad at the French Open. Unless he improves significantly in week2, I don't see much of a contest between Djokovic and Nadal in the SF. Even when he lost to Djokovic in straights sets in MC 2013, Nadal was playing better than he is now. It's quite baffling to say the least, because it seems that he has already peaked and didn't reserve his best for RG.

While I think this start is shakier, for various reasons, the start at 2011 was around this rocky. He entered the tournament with low confidence, due to the losses to Djokovic. He had Isner in the 1st round, went to 5 sets. The next 2 or 3 rounds he finished in straights, but not convincingly. It wasn't until he faced Soderling in the QFs that he raised his game that year. So, yes, I think he's had more or less as shaky a start and still won the tournament. It's a question if he has it in him to up his game, or if he HAS played too much tennis in the lead-up.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Mastoor said:
It looked like that to me that he wasn't aware of what happened while he was playing. They did the right thing for not telling him before the match.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/tennis/inside-the-mind-of-rafael-nadal-the-neurotic/story-fnbe6xeb-1226544759810

Funny stuff. Can't say I agree with him being the most genuine and likeable of the big 4 (shocking I know) but to each their own.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Mastoor said:

Funny stuff. Can't say I agree with him being the most genuine and likeable of the big 4 (shocking I know) but to each their own.

That's the part I DO agree with. :D Anyway, some is true, of course, and some is overstatement and searching to make the list longer. (He doesn't carry a racquet in his hand - that was at Wimbledon, where they carry his bag in the final, so he carries one stick himself. And most players carry about 6 strung racquets into their bags onto the court. Also many wrap their own grips, and anyway I've never even heard that Rafa is particularly bothered about that.) And the anecdote about the film "As Good As it Gets" is different, and funnier, the way Toni tells it.

I assume Mastoor was attempting to make fun of Nadal's habits. He does have more 'tics' than most, but they only just serve a larger objective...to focus the mind. And much has been made of Nadal's focus.

Earlier in Djokovic's career, everyone was counting the bounces before he served, trying to find a pattern. He said there was none...he was just thinking. That seems fair enough. Tennis takes a lot of thinking.

For all the complaining that gets done about what mental midgets or otherwise head-cases so many tennis players are, I think it's unfair to make fun of the ones who actually have admirable mental fortitude, or how they get there.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Decent press conference with Nadal post-match:

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/video/nadal-play-better-221733934.html;_ylt=Ag.pHlcLhZbajAyVK1onlMZUPoh4;_ylu=X3oDMTNiMzY3bms3BG1pdANUZW5uaXMgR3JhbmQgU2xhbSBIaWdobGlnaHRzBHBrZwMzODQ4MmU5OC1hMTczLTM1MjUtYTYzMy0wNWVhZGE2MzI2ODAEcG9zAzIEc2VjA01lZGlhQkNhcm91c2VsTWl4ZWRMUENB;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZjdqYm1rBGludGwDZXVyb3BlBGxhbmcDZW4tZ2IEcHN0YWlkAwRwc3RjYXQDaG9tZQRwdANwbWg-;_ylv=3

When asked what aspects of his game he wasn't satisfied with, he gave an interesting answer, and I'm paraphrasing here. He said it's difficult to pin-point the forehand, backhand or the serve, and it's more about his entire mentality and approach. He said he's playing with a little bit anxiety and lack of intensity, and that implied that if he were to calm himself down a bit and play with more confidence, things would click. The interesting part is that he didn't seem to think that there's one particular aspect he needs to work on in training, meaning that there's not a specific shot that he feels is not clicking, but rather, that his entire game isn't, because, in his own words, he's not moving well. He said normally his movement is "fantastic" (his words), and that he's not satisfied with the way he's moving. He said he just needs to move with more intensity in the second week. Thankfully, he immediately said "it's not a physical thing. You can't lose your physical performance in two weeks. I just need to work tomorrow and improve."

This is spot on to me. I've always maintained that when Nadal is moving well, everything else clicks. And when he's not, everything falls apart.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Broken_Shoelace said:

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/video/nadal-play-better-221733934.html;_ylt=Ag.pHlcLhZbajAyVK1onlMZUPoh4;_ylu=X3oDMTNiMzY3bms3BG1pdANUZW5uaXMgR3JhbmQgU2xhbSBIaWdobGlnaHRzBHBrZwMzODQ4MmU5OC1hMTczLTM1MjUtYTYzMy0wNWVhZGE2MzI2ODAEcG9zAzIEc2VjA01lZGlhQkNhcm91c2VsTWl4ZWRMUENB;_ylg=X3oDMTFoZjdqYm1rBGludGwDZXVyb3BlBGxhbmcDZW4tZ2IEcHN0YWlkAwRwc3RjYXQDaG9tZQRwdANwbWg-;_ylv=3

When asked what aspects of his game he wasn't satisfied with, he gave an interesting answer, and I'm paraphrasing here. He said it's difficult to pin-point the forehand, backhand or the serve, and it's more about his entire mentality and approach. He said he's playing with a little bit anxiety and lack of intensity, and that implied that if he were to calm himself down a bit and play with more confidence, things would click. The interesting part is that he didn't seem to think that there's one particular aspect he needs to work on in training, meaning that there's not a specific shot that he feels is not clicking, but rather, that his entire game isn't, because, in his own words, he's not moving well. He said normally his movement is "fantastic" (his words), and that he's not satisfied with the way he's moving. He said he just needs to move with more intensity in the second week. Thankfully, he immediately said "it's not a physical thing. You can't lose your physical performance in two weeks. I just need to work tomorrow and improve."

This is spot on to me. I've always maintained that when Nadal is moving well, everything else clicks. And when he's not, everything falls apart.

I am having a hard time understanding how someone, who has been away from the game for so long, comes back and makes it to every final possible and still has confidence issues? :huh:

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

I am having a hard time understanding how someone, who has been away from the game for so long, comes back and makes it to every final possible and still has confidence issues? :huh:

I have a hard time understanding why he is playing so badly, period. There is almost a sign of burn-out, for a guy who's still young but i sure hope i'm wrong.

Good for Federer though, he can beat a fantastic Djoker (even though an underdog at this stage) but would always lose to Rafa no matter what. He needs Djoker to take Rafa out for him, then he has a chance in the final.

Postpre

Club Member
Reactions
It's no mystery why Nadal is playing with some anxiety and lack of energy, especially early on. There's an obvious psychological component behind it. Let's face it, as a 7 time Roland Garros champion (and one who is expected to dominate every opponent, save Djokovic), his mind is not free to play loose and for the love of the game. Further, it's not easy to get up for opponents in the earlier rounds, when you know your entire Roland Garros will be judged on a potential semifinal encounter with Djokovic (this match has to be looming over his head). IMHO, he'll compete just fine should he meet Djokovic.

Remember how loose Nadal played at Wimbledon 2010? Mentally, he was free from the immense pressure.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
Postpre said:
It's no mystery why Nadal is playing with some anxiety and lack of energy, especially early on. There's an obvious psychological component behind it. Let's face it, as a 7 time Roland Garros champion (and one who is expected to dominate every opponent, save Djokovic), his mind is not free to play loose and for the love of the game. Further, it's not easy to get up for opponents in the earlier rounds, when you know your entire Roland Garros will be judged on a potential semifinal encounter with Djokovic (this match has to be looming over his head). IMHO, he'll compete just fine should he meet Djokovic.

Remember how loose Nadal played at Wimbledon 2010? Mentally, he was free from the immense pressure.

That's one way of looking at it. The other way would be : You have won this thing 7 times, you pretty much own the place and you have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone on this surface that you are the best ever, so go out there have fun, kick ass and take names, collect your hardware , go home...

Postpre

Club Member
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Postpre said:

That's one way of looking at it. The other way would be : You have won this thing 7 times, you pretty much own the place and you have absolutely nothing to prove to anyone on this surface that you are the best ever, so go out there have fun, kick ass and take names, collect your hardware , go home...

I wish Nadal thought this way :) but I honestly don't think he does.

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
The Simon-Federer match has been great. Real pressure tennis.

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow. I just watched the last game of Fed-Simon. It looks like Federer must have played poorly at times, or was Simon just great? Nice to see Fed's serve look so good (at least in that last game).

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
El Dude said:
Wow. I just watched the last game of Fed-Simon. It looks like Federer must have played poorly at times, or was Simon just great? Nice to see Fed's serve look so good (at least in that last game).

Simon was great for a bit but Fed was crap for a lot.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Postpre said:

As a competitor Nadal doesn't allow himself to think that way. You're right for the most part, but this is strictly looking at it from the perspective of others. What about the pressure Nadal puts on himself? He might have won the even 7 times, but if he doesn't win it, it's a huge blow for his confidence.

In fairness, and I neglected to mention that, Nadal did say that just two weeks ago, he was playing well. So that gives him "calm," as he knows it was recent enough to where he should be able to play well again, and in his own words, it's not like 2 months have went by without him playing well.

Anyway, confidence or not, the main issue for Nadal is movement, which so far, is the worst I've seen it looking at the FO.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Mastoor said:

I laughed to that part too, so I take that must be how they humour in his part of Aussie. :)

Postpre said:
1972Murat said:
Postpre said:

I wish Nadal thought this way :) but I honestly don't think he does.

What is he afraid of No1e already? :huh: He better take care of Kei tonight.