Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 7: Saturday, June 1

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions
RE: Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 7

Haas v Isner is quite entertaining. Haas returning from Corsica, but still tracks down Isner's (good) stop. Isner's serve is better in the second, though, and keeps bailing him out. holds for 6-5 after fighting off three or four bps. if Tommy keeps up the concentration, he should have a good shot in the

also, Isner questioning a ball very late (two shots later after a Haas volley winner), getting the crowd against him... not that that's hard for an American playing a guy as stylish as Tommy (who knows well not to insult the Parisiens with an outfit like that at Key Biscayne).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
Dimitrov needs to put in more cardio in the gym 'cos his cardio with Sharapova isn't enough to win him big matches.

'cos his cardio with Sharapova isn't enough

Somehow, I don't think too many guys on this board will agree with that:blush:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

I actually don't find her attractive at all. Tons of tennis players far better looking than her.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
I actually don't find her attractive at all. Tons of tennis players far better looking than her.

Sure there are a lot of prettier girls and just as another poster stated, she would be just average in puerto rico or even less than average in Miami or Brazil..Trust me, Pova has the goods.. decent looks with a nice body,, when she retires and fills out in the top , she is gong to be a bombshell..

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Nadal looked very beatable the last three rounds. He will need to step up in the second week if he wants to get the record 8th title here.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

Sure there are a lot of prettier girls and just as another poster stated, she would be just average in puerto rico or even less than average in Miami or Brazil..Trust me, Pova has the goods.. decent looks with a nice body,, when she retires and fills out in the top , she is gong to be a bombshell..

LOL, she has enough cash to afford to buy the top right now :D She's just average in many countries.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Front242 said:
the AntiPusher said:
Front242 said:

LOL, she has enough cash to afford to buy the top right now :D She's just average in many countries.

Agreed.. and you know 15 years from now what popular men's magazine is going to give big $ to her to be the centerfold

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Nadal looked quite mediocre in the first week, and most worryingly, his performances have dropped with each match (regardless of the result).

Right now, his movement and cross court forehand are both below par, and if he doesn't step it up, he's going to suffer. If he faces Djokovic at this level, he's done. He seems to be visibly struggling when moving to his forehand side too.

When I used to watch Nadal a few years ago, there would be dozens of instances in one match when I wonder "how on earth did he get to that"? Those instances are few and far in between these days, which says a lot. His defending is just not what it needs to be.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Tommy needs to start talking to himself to get the winning energy back. Classic vid of Haas psyching himself up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8gQ2NhteF44

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
Nadal looked quite mediocre in the first week, and most worryingly, his performances have dropped with each match (regardless of the result).

Right now, his movement and cross court forehand are both below par, and if he doesn't step it up, he's going to suffer. If he faces Djokovic at this level, he's done. He seems to be visibly struggling when moving to his forehand side too.

When I used to watch Nadal a few years ago, there would be dozens of instances in one match when I wonder "how on earth did he get to that"? Those instances are few and far in between these days, which says a lot. His defending is just not what it needs to be.
i reckon you're our resident Pessimist, but do you really think he's gotten worse? i saw bits of the Klizan in a rerun, and there were some oddities (the botched fh pass on match Point, when Klizan already had his mind in the locker room for instance); commentator was already thinking of a third category - winners, UEs, and "Errors Nadal usually doesn't make".

so the F3 match was Worse than that, despite the scoreline? bummer. then again, Rafa has upped the ante when necessary time and again, so i'm not particularly worried.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

johnsteinbeck said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

i reckon you're our resident Pessimist, but do you really think he's gotten worse? i saw bits of the Klizan in a rerun, and there were some oddities (the botched fh pass on match Point, when Klizan already had his mind in the locker room for instance); commentator was already thinking of a third category - winners, UEs, and "Errors Nadal usually doesn't make".

so the F3 match was Worse than that, despite the scoreline? bummer. then again, Rafa has upped the ante when necessary time and again, so i'm not particularly worried.

I agree with BS, Nadal looks very average out there. Djokovic is streamrolling over Dimitrov on the other hand. If things stay the way they are, I fancy Djokovic's chances.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

eurosport ditched the djokovic-dimi match in set 2 .......booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

French crowd were so quiet you could hear a hamster having an argument with a woodlouse.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

I like Isner but I am rooting for the old dude Haas today.. As for Rafa, he is gonna be in bigtime trouble if he doesn't step up.. Again,, this is the worst I have ever seen Rafa play

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

johnsteinbeck said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

This has nothing to do with pessimism. Nadal's cross court forehand looked super shaky against Fabio (we attributed that to Klizan being a lefty in the previous match, not sure what the justification is here). He's clearly struggling when forced to stretch out on the forehand side, and is coming up with a predictable -- and weak -- reply. He wasn't moving well at all, and really by his standard, his defense was almost "bad." Now there's something I didn't think I'd say about Nadal.

Plus, his positioning on the return has gotten worse with each match.

Denisovich said:
johnsteinbeck said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

I agree with BS, Nadal looks very average out there. Djokovic is streamrolling over Dimitrov on the other hand. If things stay the way they are, I fancy Djokovic's chances.

Here's my (non official) prediction: If the conditions are cool and Nadal's level doesn't pick up significantly (meaning even if it picks up marginally), Novak will win in straight sets, in a surprisingly straightforward affair.

I reserve my right to alter the prediction based on Nadal's level in the second week, which IMO, will improve.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
johnsteinbeck said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

This has nothing to do with pessimism. Nadal's cross court forehand looked super shaky against Fabio (we attributed that to Klizan being a lefty in the previous match, not sure what the justification is here). He's clearly struggling when forced to stretch out on the forehand side, and is coming up with a predictable -- and weak -- reply. He wasn't moving well at all, and really by his standard, his defense was almost "bad." Now there's something I didn't think I'd say about Nadal.

Plus, his positioning on the return has gotten worse with each match.

Denisovich said:
johnsteinbeck said:
Broken_Shoelace said:

Here's my (non official) prediction: If the conditions are cool and Nadal's level doesn't pick up significantly (meaning even if it picks up marginally), Novak will win in straight sets, in a surprisingly straightforward affair.

I reserve my right to alter the prediction based on Nadal's level in the second week, which IMO, will improve.

Perhaps he already peaked in the season, he never played as much on clay like this year, I know i am going to see tons of protests following my observation, but, there you have it.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Tough to say what might be causing Rafa's play. Certainly the conditions haven't been favorable as the ball is not bouncing high. Another factor that can't be overstated is that it is now best of 5 which Rafa hasn't played in almost a year. But that doesn't explain why Rafa has started out poorly in all his matches. It might be a little fatigue at this point, he has played probably the most tennis he's ever played heading into RG, at least since 2005.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Tough to say what might be causing Rafa's play. Certainly the conditions haven't been favorable as the ball is not bouncing high. Another factor that can't be overstated is that it is now best of 5 which Rafa hasn't played in almost a year. But that doesn't explain why Rafa has started out poorly in all his matches. It might be a little fatigue at this point, he has played probably the most tennis he's ever played heading into RG, at least since 2005.

Exactly my thought. In 2005 he was still a teenager, full of energy, now he turns 27 shortly. They need to pace themselves, to bring it when it mattrers the most.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions

Xisca, sick of Rafa's pushing, stayed for No1e's match to see some real tennis. Welcome to No1e's fandome Xisca.

I don't know if people are aware but this is No1e's win 500. Sadly, he won just hours after Jelena Gencic died. She was the one who taught No1e tennis and she also coached Monika Seles and Goran Ivanisevic.

DarthFed said:

It is certainly not fatigue or the fact that this is best of 5 because he needs time to warm up. Not that he starts being troubled in the third set after playing first two perfectly. He says that he lacks routine, practice.

imjimmy

Pro Tour Player
Reactions

I actually don's recall Nadal playing 3 consecutive poor matches in Roland Garros. Not in 2011 (where he went to 5 sets against Isner). And not even in 2009, where his knees were shot.
My opinion is that Nadal has overplayed. Some of his best tennis since his return was early on - during IW for example. It seems that the more he plays the worse he gets. I agree with a comment above that his performance today was worse than in R1 and R2. He should be destroying guys like Fognini when he's ON. He wasn't dictating play at all.

Anyway, this is uncharted territory. Because Nadal is seldom as bad at the French Open. Unless he improves significantly in week2, I don't see much of a contest between Djokovic and Nadal in the SF. Even when he lost to Djokovic in straights sets in MC 2013, Nadal was playing better than he is now. It's quite baffling to say the least, because it seems that he has already peaked and didn't reserve his best for RG.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Mastoor said:
Xisca, sick of Rafa's pushing, stayed for No1e's match to see some real tennis. Welcome to No1e's fandome Xisca.

I don't know if people are aware but this is No1e's win 500. Sadly, he won just hours after Jelena Gencic died. She was the one who taught No1e tennis and she also coached Monika Seles and Goran Ivanisevic.

DarthFed said:

It is certainly not fatigue or the fact that this is best of 5 because he needs time to warm up. Not that he starts being troubled in the third set after playing first two perfectly. He says that he lacks routine, practice.

Agreed, I don't think best of 5 is a reason unless he is just mentally handling it poorly for some reason.

Condolences to Djokovic and Gencic's friends and family. Apparently Nole canceled his press conference after hearing of her death in the locker room.