Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 6: Friday, May 31

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
RE: Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 6

tented said:
Moxie629 said:
Good digging! The one that surprises me is Borg having gone to 3 5-setters in the 1974 RG. Isn't he the guy that has lost fewer sets than Rafa, overall, there? And Rafa's only played 1 5-setter.

You're confusing that with Borg's record for losing the fewest games en route to winning RG.

In 1978, Borg only lost a total of 32 games. In 2008, Rafa was on the verge of breaking that record, but didn't. Up to the QF, he had only lost 25, but wound up losing 16 more in the final two rounds.

Also, notice that of the five times someone won 3 five-setters en route to the title, three of them were at RG. Not a coincidence.

Well, I get it, but it does imply fewer sets. I was just surprised.

And yes, no coincidence that it happens more often at RG, I would say.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Moxie629 said:
Anyway, so early in his comeback, he's played a lot of tennis, (remember, besides the 3 5-setters, he made the final of Nice last week.) He was cooked late in today's match.

More so, he played non-stop for 3 weeks, before Nice, he played and won a challenger in Bordeaux. And that challenger was not a gimmie by any means, he had to defeat in 3 out of his 5 matches there, top 100 players: Roger-Vasselin, Goffin and Michal Llodra in the final. Ttha is why I was expecting him to run out of gas in his match ith Gulbis, as i knew how much he has played. He lasted longer than I was expecting, showed a lot of heart, but I really almost got teary when I saw Tommy so happy.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Congrats to Tommy, he played a great match both physically and mentally
he deserved to win
Now he'll meet Almagro