Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 6: Friday, May 31

El Dude

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Roland Garros Order Of Play - Day 6

Dolgopolov seems to be really slipping - he's lost in the 1R of both Slams this year and hasn't made it past the 3R in any major tournament since Madrid of 2012. He finished 2011 at #15, 2012 at #18 and is currently #23, but that looks better than it actually is as his year-to-date ranking is #55. It seems likely that he won't finish the year in the top 20 and may even be a candidate to drop out of Slam seeding if he doesn't turn the ship around.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Anderson plays better than Raonic and breaks him at 5-5 in the first set. Kevin has a much better footwork and his groundies are much more secure.

El Dude said:
Dolgopolov seems to be really slipping - he's lost in the 1R of both Slams this year and hasn't made it past the 3R in any major tournament since Madrid of 2012. He finished 2011 at #15, 2012 at #18 and is currently #23, but that looks better than it actually is as his year-to-date ranking is #55. It seems likely that he won't finish the year in the top 20 and may even be a candidate to drop out of Slam seeding if he doesn't turn the ship around.

I wrote him off already as a future top 10.

Milos is screwed, no way he comes back from 0-2, especially the way he is playing.
KA is frankly better.

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Tsonga comfortably through to the fourth round. In straights again. Really looking forward to the QF with Federer. Golden opportunity to give the French a new French finalist.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I think Kevin Anderson will break faster into the top 20, than we will see Raonic in the top 10. Way too many holes in his game still. He needs a good coach at this point.

I.Haychew

Major Winner
Reactions

isabelle said:
Ferrer will meet Milos serve bot in 4th round
vamos David vamos chico !!

Not so fast! Kevin A. just beat Raonic in 3.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

Rafa played like pure crap today.. I am would think that Team Uncle Toni\Rafa is going to try to put this match behind them as just a bad practice session. It was by far the worst that I have seen Rafa play. I am quite certain that Rafa will come out guns a blazing against Fogini, he had better!:puzzled

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

Denisovich said:
Tsonga comfortably through to the fourth round. In straights again. Really looking forward to the QF with Federer. Golden opportunity to give the French a new French finalist.

Looks like Roger might have a much more trickier QF in Tsonga than the following semi, whomever he might meet there should he advance...Both Roger and Tsonga seem to be playing relaxed. Obviously they have to get there first...

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

I. Haychew said:
isabelle said:

Congrats for your guy's win, much deserved.

I know Gillou doesn't have many fans here, but you gotta respect his resilience. Very impressive.

Monfils just met his twin, Tommy Robredo is a all of will and grit

Helluva of comeback by Tommy, hats off to you and aplause or Monfils run, he was going to run out of gas at one point.

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca

herios said:
I. Haychew said:
isabelle said:

I know Gillou doesn't have many fans here, but you gotta respect his resilience. Very impressive.

Helluva of comeback by Tommy, hats off to you and aplause or Monfils run, he was going to run out of gas at one point.

The Monfils run made me wonder, who played the most 5 setters on his way to winning a slam?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Extremely impressed by and happy for Tommy Robredo. What a comeback! Great to see him playing so well again and it means he's physically in great shape. Who does he play next?

SF Nadalite

Club Member
Reactions

the AntiPusher said:
Rafa played like pure crap today.. I am would think that Team Uncle Toni\Rafa is going to try to put this match behind them as just a bad practice session. It was by far the worst that I have seen Rafa play. I am quite certain that Rafa will come out guns a blazing against Fogini, he had better!:puzzled

No kidding - I woke up in the middle of the night (california time) - looked at the score and thought WTF?

Broken had it right - he hates these conditions, hates playing early, always looks uncomfortable playing lefties....but as they say, winning ugly is still winning.

He always seems to have one horrible early round.

What I thought was interesting was how cranky he was during his on-court interview post match. He was complaining about EVERYTHING...very un-Rafa like.

He seemed particularly peeved that the other players in his draw level were on court earlier than he was, so were able to finish - which considering he is the all time Roland Garros champion, he does have a point :clap:clap

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

Denisovich said:

Even if he beats Federer I doubt he would get by Ferrer on clay. But Tsonga seems to be playing well and should be Fed's toughest test in his half. Still absolutely no reason Fed should lose to Tsonga though and if he plays as he has the first few rounds he won't. And I don't even know if the French will be rooting for Tsonga as Fed is kind of their "adopted son" at this tournament.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Not like it's the schedulers fault the weather is crap. It is what it is. Gotta disagree with complaining being unlike him too! He's quite adept at it. The weather in Paris is getting better anyway from what most websites are saying. Clear sky and sunny Monday and Tuesday. In fact clear Monday through Thursday now apparently although the damp conditions suit me fine and Djokovic must be delighted so far.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

DarthFed said:
Denisovich said:

Even if he beats Federer I doubt he would get by Ferrer on clay. But Tsonga seems to be playing well and should be Fed's toughest test in his half. Still absolutely no reason Fed should lose to Tsonga though and if he plays as he has the first few rounds he won't. And I don't even know if the French will be rooting for Tsonga as Fed is kind of their "adopted son" at this tournament.

"Adoptive" son will not get preferred over "real" son, let's not exagerate, the fans rooting for Fed will be the foreigners, but it could happen they will outnumber the frenchies.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions

Broken_Shoelace said:
Nadal looked pretty shaky. The conditions didn't suit him as they were quite cool, but still. I've never felt that he's comfortable playing lefties, which is weird considering the great record he has against them. A lot of the things he has to do against lefties are unnatural to him, like varying his serve placement, use his inside out forehand as a rally shot (and thus struggling for depth since he usually hits it with angles), etc... Most striking to me is the fact that for whatever reason, his cross court forehand loses a lot of depth against lefties, and he hits it a bit too angled, trying a bit too hard to take them out of position (thus opening up the DTL forehand for his opponent). I feel in large part, his great record against lefties is due to him just being generally a better player (obvious, I know), and the fact that there are hardly any elite left handed players outside of Nadal himself (the best lefty he's played is Verdacso or something... which says a lot).
we actually talked about the lefty factor in chat. i think you touch on the most important factor on his degree of success against lefites (and why it doesn't automatically mean that he doesn't have his own problems against them) : Nadal is bound to have a better record against Lefties than everyone else has, because he's the only one who doesn't have to face the best Leftie of them all.

as for Nadal's performance, was still at work then unfortunately. but the stats don't look too pretty either. not really worried though, i reckon he'll find his groove.

too bad Kerber played so long, i only got the very end of Robredo's match (german Eurosport). loved his celebration.

also i urge everyone to look for some highlights of Benneteau/Fed. not the greatest match, but two talents at work, some seriously ridiculous shots. behind the back volley by JB (with a surprised Fed botching the reply), and that wasn't even the best point. some good stuff. gotta love Julien for the bold play. unfortunately, he was the opposite of clutch. i think he was broken at love each time, and each time with the first break point as well (Fed was 4/4), and Fed made the something like the last 10 points of the match.
fun fact re Julien, btw - quite consistent - he's now made it to the 3rd Round, but no further, for the 7th straight slam.
(actually, here's some links - probably won't work for everyone. Benneteau behind the back, and the point of the day, also won by Julien

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions

herios said:
I. Haychew said:
isabelle said:

Congrats to Roberto on having the guts to drive the bus at the end of the match .. Btw, what the Hell happen to Monfils.. Being up 2 sets to love against Berdych and having to win in 5 sets.. that make sense but blowing 3 straight sets to Roberto, all due respect is a bit astonishing.. Tommy doesn't have any real weapons to trouble Monfils.. Gael should have closed out the match in when he had 4 mpts

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Many players have lost with MPs over the years. Recent big failures to close out with MPs of course Tsonga here against Djokovic last year, Fed twice in the USO against Djokovic. It happens. Gotta credit Robredo too. A very gutsy performance rather than a choke necessarily from Monfils.

Johnsteinbeck

Major Winner
Reactions

also - wow, Milos. gotta say that's disappointing. it's true what they always say - success in tennis is less about flashy patches here and there, it's about delivering day in, day out, especially to those ranked below you.

last one for today - apparently, Benneteau wasn't quite fit, some groin/leg issue. Fed commented on it, said that Julien was clearly affected by it. tbh, i hadn't even noticed - probably because they hardly played any long rallies.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions

Yeah Fed was very open about saying he could see from the very start that Benneteau's movement was hampered and he exploited it and that he wasn't the same player he normally is and had to play differently because of his groin issue. Kept it surprisingly close with that in mind and would've been a whole lot harder otherwise as Fed himself pointed out.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions

herios said:
DarthFed said:
Denisovich said:

"Adoptive" son will not get preferred over "real" son, let's not exagerate, the fans rooting for Fed will be the foreigners, but it could happen they will outnumber the frenchies.

We shall see. I didn't notice the fans rooting heavily either way today but then the match wasn't on TV that much either. Fed has played Monfils 3 times at RG and I don't remember how the crowd was in those matches.

They keep mentioning that Simon is not a crowd favorite so it will be interesting to see if they root hard for Roger over him.